New forum: Coaching Rumors and Speculation

Next season won't be much better than this season with Oregon on their field on our schedule no matter what coach is here unfortunately.

There's a snowballs chance in h3ll that we'll get a big named, splash type coach if CDD is fired unfortunately.

We'll probably get a CDD part 2.

VFL...GBO!!!

This is just wishful thinking: I bet if we were to get Gruden, the chances of retaining Patterson, hunter, etc would be better and our recruiting class would be siiiick. I just don't want a pos for a coach! Where's the win/ win scenario?

Anybody who justifies Recruiting to keep Dooley is out of touch. He would find a way to Lose games with Bama's talent!

Reactions: 1 person
What will happen is Auburn will fire Chizik and get the #1 coach and Hart will retain the Dool. If there's a hot name.

I've said it since CPF left and i'll say it until I'm blue in the face.
Gary Patterson.

It would take huge money to get Gary Patterson to leave TCU. If Hart would be willing to pay him 4.5 million for 6 years and make it all guaranteed, he might consider it. As I said in another thread, Patterson has near 20 million coming from TCU over the next 5 years even if he loses the next 50 games. Tough to walk away from a deal like that.

why would it take big money to get a coach to leave a program like tcu in a mediocre conference for UT, in the best conference in the u.s.?

That IS a big part of the problem my friend.

We play in the SEC and that's a HUGE problem for lots of coaches because we play against National Title contenders every single year and in some cases every week for 3 or 4 weeks in a row.

It's really hard to get wins in the SEC no matter who the coach may be.

Our UT player roster is way down on the number of future NFL players right now compared to how many future NFL players we used to bring in every year during our great years.

many coaches do NOT want to have to fight every week in the SEC because they know the odds are stacked against them especially now when the SEC is even tougher than what it was 10 years ago.

Coaches can stay OUT of the SEC and stay at programs where it's easier to get 8, 9 or 10 wins every season and build a well paying, easier career for themselves.

Tennessee is NOT a great destination that's high up on most coaches choices of where they would like to go coach unfortunately especially since it's so hard to recruit really good players to come to UT.

Don't forget that when CDD took on this 5 year rebuilding task that NOBODY else wanted the job and it's not going to be easy or cheap to get a new coach to come to Tennessee.

VFL...GBO!!!

Reactions: 3 people
why would it take big money to get a coach to leave a program like tcu in a mediocre conference for UT, in the best conference in the u.s.?

The reason it would take big $$ is because the man already makes big $$. TCU is no slouch when it comes to taking care of their head football coach. His contract is through 2018 and pays him right at 3 million per year. The huge kicker to his deal is the entire contract is guaranteed. He could lose every game through 2018 and still be paid all that money. To get him to uproot from Texas, someone would have to give him at least 4 million per guaranteed through 2018 IMO.

Most coaches like to coach against the best. If they don't want to coach against the best, they would not be worth having. TCU has always played the big boys tough, even though they were in a smaller conference. I doubt Patterson would shy away from the SEC IF he were offered the salary to give up his current contract/deal and move on.

All this money talk is ridiculous...if you don't think our AD and boosters won't come together for big bucks for this hire then you are crazy...we will not go on the cheap this time no matter how money we owe to others.

Gary Patterson migtht be the way to go but I'm not sure he would be willing to a place that expects him to beat Georgia, Florida, USC and compete with Bama on a regular basic starting year 2. If it was Ole Miss or UK then no problem but UT really needed Florida and Georgia to struggle like it appeared they would a few years ago. If few wanted the job when they did struggle, who wants it now?

We can’t pull the plug on Dooley at this point.

Several reasons:

1. I think it looks like he’s building something. If you think it’s not important to build a program versus a win now attitude, see Auburn.

2. He represents my university well and handles off field issues with the program in mind.

3. Recruiting -- This guy has been pissing up a rope with something to sell and is still getting good players. Does he need more, YES. He is a really good recruiter and if we can turn the corner, it will really take off. Not to mention that if you run off Dooley then more than likely great recruiters like Hinshaw and mainly Jay Graham go to(Graham was a stud as a player and even better as a coach).

4. Next year - Holy ****!!!! Talk about next year. Here is Dave Hart’s conversation with prospective coaches: “Coach, we would really like for you to come coach our team next year. We just had our best 6 players(Bray, Hunter, CP, Juwan James, Maurice Couch and Big Dan) go pro early. Plus you get to road trip to Eugene to play the Ducks, Gainesville to play the Gators and Tuscaloosa to play the Tide. For all that we want you to leave *****(insert any hot assistant because no current head coach would take these circumstances) to come to UT to coach for a passionate but unrealistic fan base who will give you a very short leash and $2.2 million. Sound good?” Coaches response, “Thanks but GFY”.

At this point, most of our good players will come back. Bray’s not ready, Patterson is a freak but he’s not really ready. Hunter isn’t ready either but he’s got a small child so even being a third rounder will help his situation. I think the other guys mentioned above do come back if there is no coaching chance. Dooley has us in the lead for the top running back in the country, leading for the #2 wide receiver in the country and leading for a home grown DB that is a difference maker. The 2014 class could be really special and expedite the building process but a new coach and new staff will have to build all new relationships with Akeem Copperwood, the Berry Brothers, Dylan Bates and Todd Kelly, Jr. which means it would be highly unlikely that we get any of them.

If Dooley is gone after this year, I think we take another step back and that’s not what anybody wants.

Great thread post!! We ALL want a winner and expect one! Dooley is more frustrated than all of us. . .I still think he can get it done. We need a few more defensive players, more speed, and more consistency on offense. Chasing Dooley will only put us behind (AGAIN) for another 3-4 years. Have faith Vols! :crossfingers:

Mike (Vol van since 1965!) :beerf:

Reactions: 3 people
We can’t pull the plug on Dooley at this point.

Several reasons:

1. I think it looks like he’s building something. If you think it’s not important to build a program versus a win now attitude, see Auburn.

2. He represents my university well and handles off field issues with the program in mind.

3. Recruiting -- This guy has been pissing up a rope with something to sell and is still getting good players. Does he need more, YES. He is a really good recruiter and if we can turn the corner, it will really take off. Not to mention that if you run off Dooley then more than likely great recruiters like Hinshaw and mainly Jay Graham go to(Graham was a stud as a player and even better as a coach).

4. Next year - Holy ****!!!! Talk about next year. Here is Dave Hart’s conversation with prospective coaches: “Coach, we would really like for you to come coach our team next year. We just had our best 6 players(Bray, Hunter, CP, Juwan James, Maurice Couch and Big Dan) go pro early. Plus you get to road trip to Eugene to play the Ducks, Gainesville to play the Gators and Tuscaloosa to play the Tide. For all that we want you to leave *****(insert any hot assistant because no current head coach would take these circumstances) to come to UT to coach for a passionate but unrealistic fan base who will give you a very short leash and $2.2 million. Sound good?” Coaches response, “Thanks but GFY”.

At this point, most of our good players will come back. Bray’s not ready, Patterson is a freak but he’s not really ready. Hunter isn’t ready either but he’s got a small child so even being a third rounder will help his situation. I think the other guys mentioned above do come back if there is no coaching chance. Dooley has us in the lead for the top running back in the country, leading for the #2 wide receiver in the country and leading for a home grown DB that is a difference maker. The 2014 class could be really special and expedite the building process but a new coach and new staff will have to build all new relationships with Akeem Copperwood, the Berry Brothers, Dylan Bates and Todd Kelly, Jr. which means it would be highly unlikely that we get any of them.

If Dooley is gone after this year, I think we take another step back and that’s not what anybody wants.

Great thread post!! We ALL want a winner and expect one! Dooley is more frustrated than all of us. . .I still think he can get it done. We need a few more defensive players, more speed, and more consistency on offense. Chasing Dooley will only put us behind (AGAIN) for another 3-4 years. Have faith Vols! :crossfingers:

Mike (Vol van since 1965!) :beerf:

I don't envy Hart's job right now. There are some valid points to giving Dooley a chance. He did inherit a stinker of a situation and I do not doubt his resolve, or his dedication to the program. I like the guy, I just want more wins. Can he do it? I don't know. Last year I would have said give him a chance...this year, I don't know anymore and I'm leaning towards I don't think he will be the guy to deliver us to the promised land. If I see us go for a 30 yard bomb on 3rd and 2 one more time I am going to have an aneurysm - that I am 100% sure of.:banghead2:

So if Hart fires him and we go 5-7 with whoever it is, Hart will be the next one to feel the heat. If we keep him and nothing gets better, same result.

If Hart fires him and gambles on a new HC, he better make a damn big splash with it - and he better realize that if it doesn't work out the new HC won't be the only one looking for a job.

I said it in July and I'll say it again...keep an eye out for Tuberville.

Tuberville is a good coach. But is he a big enough splash to make recruiting tick upwards and get top - flight output from the current players? I have my doubts.

I personally would love us to get Chucky, but it feels like a pipe dream. He hasn't made public statements about coming to UT in a while. His comments a while back about returning to coaching sound like a guy that wants a shot at the NFL again. I hope I'm wrong, I don't think I am.

So, Chucky is probably the only guy available that we have any shot whatsoever at landing. It would make that big headlines kind of splash we need, and it seems unlikely we get him. I saw a post where someone gave it about a 30% chance...I'd say they're not far off.

We hire another mediocre coach, we'll do more harm than good. I think if we hire Dave Cutcliffe or someone like him we'll simply re-gut the team and roll the clock back 3 years.

And if we stick with Dooley, it's a HUGE roll of the dice. If CP, Bray, JH stick around w/ CDD and we stink it up again next year, it's going to hurt the program big time. It will affect their potential pro careers, and recruiting will suffer.

Like I said, I do not envy Hart's job right now, and I wouldn't trade seats with him for all the whiskey in Ireland.

We've all heard the talk of getting rid of Dooley. The teams we have lost to have pretty good records, still we should have won at leat one of those games. All the bulletin board material isn't going to change much. What we need to do as fans is show up and support our team during the games to impress recruits. The best way for the team to improve is with better players. If we fire Dooley after 3 years what Quality coach will follow that move

We've all heard the talk of getting rid of Dooley. The teams we have lost to have pretty good records, still we should have won at leat one of those games. All the bulletin board material isn't going to change much. What we need to do as fans is show up and support our team during the games to impress recruits. The best way for the team to improve is with better players. If we fire Dooley after 3 years what Quality coach will follow that move

All one has to do is watch us play and it is easy to tell that we are not a well coached team. Our players deserve better and so does the fanbase. I am sick and tired of watching Bray try to pad Hunters total by throwing the ball to him in double and triple coverage. If Hunter is getting that much attention then Rogers or someone else has to be wide open.

All one has to do is watch us play and it is easy to tell that we are not a well coached team. Our players deserve better and so does the fanbase. I am sick and tired of watching Bray try to pad Hunters total by throwing the ball to him in double and triple coverage. If Hunter is getting that much attention then Rogers or someone else has to be wide open.

At some point, the players have to "man up" (to use CDD and TB words) and win some games. I get tired of blaming it all on coaching. From what I have observed, there have been a lot of situations in which the plays were there but just weren't made by our guys. One could pick out a play or two in the GA, MS State and perhaps the FLA game where if we had made the plays that were there to be made, the result might have bneen different. While I do have some concerns about the coaching, I still think the players have to make the plays...and we haven't consitently done that.

Last edited:
You are right - it's not fair to blame it all on coaching. However, when you see the same players making the same mistakes week after week it is fair to question coaching. When you see other coaches making adjustments at half time and our coaches sticking relentlessly to the same gameplan, it's fair to question coaching. And finally, when players are emotionless in the 2nd half week after week, it's fair to question coaching. Don't get me wrong, Dooley is a nice guy and decent recruiter, but horrible in-game coach. I also see no progression in development of talent. He's had long enough on all fronts to show progress. It's not happening.

You are right - it's not fair to blame it all on coaching. However, when you see the same players making the same mistakes week after week it is fair to question coaching. When you see other coaches making adjustments at half time and our coaches sticking relentlessly to the same gameplan, it's fair to question coaching. And finally, when players are emotionless in the 2nd half week after week, it's fair to question coaching. Don't get me wrong, Dooley is a nice guy and decent recruiter, but horrible in-game coach. I also see no progression in development of talent. He's had long enough on all fronts to show progress. It's not happening.

I don't disagree with some of your comments, but I do disagree with the adjustment analysis. In the GA and MS State games, we fell behind badly early in the game. Unlike prior years, we battled back. I think the past two years we would have caved but we did fight back to get in position to win in an upset. It didn't happen unfortunately but at least we showed some marked improvement. Now whether that's "adjustments" or player resolve, I don't know but it certainly was an improvement.

VN Store

Back