New forum: Coaching Rumors and Speculation

If Dooley finishes 7-5 and only loses to top 20 teams which we were expected to lose, then he will have made substantial progress over the previous two years. "Substantial progress" is the criteria that Hart laid down for Dooley to be retained.

I would also note that both Kiffin and Fulmer (in his last year) lost games to unranked teams which we were favored to beat.

The bottom line is that Dooley took over this program on short notice right before NSD when it was an absolute train wreck that had the lowest level of talent in the modern era and was under the threat of NCAA sanctions. Dooley accepted the job as a five year rebuilding effort at a time when Tennessee was a job that nobody else was willing to take on. After only two and a half years into what everyone expected to be at least a five year project we have made huge strides in the offense,.especially in the run game and pass protection -- statistically, we are now among the most potent offenses in the nation. Overall, our special teams play is far better than before Dooley took over (especially the kickoff and punt coverage) and most importantly, in contrast to the latter Fulmer years and the year of "the Kiffin", Dooley has vastly improved the overall level of talent on our roster by targeting recruits who are not only outstanding football players, but who are young men of character as well.

The final task is to make the necessary changes on defense to bring it up to the same level as the offense, and based on what he has accomplished so far, I have every confidence Dooley will get that done, making Tennessee a contender once again. Overall, it is extremely hard for any rational person to deny that Dooley has met and even exceeded the criteria set down by Hart to retain his job.

Tennessee will reach its goal of competing for championships much faster if the fan base will just get behind our team and stop sabotaging our recruiting efforts by constantly going on public message boards to gripe and call for Dooley to be fired. Apparently they do not understand that even if their wish were to be granted, those very actions make it highly unlikely that a quality replacement for Dooley would be willing to take the job.

mlsoft

But we were expected to win. Not against bama or SC or even georgia. But with the most potent passing attack in the game and a very mature offensive line, yes we are supposed to beat Mississippi State. Is everyone overreacting? Yes. But to say that dooley should be given a pass for his dreadful record against ranked teams is laughable. We can't keep making mistakes for him. I love Dooley. He is a great man. He is not a great football coach. 3 years with the weapons he has is enough time to expect wins.

We are Tennessee. This isn't Louisville or Clemson. We play for championships, not bowl games.

Reactions: 1 person
But we were expected to win. Not against bama or SC or even georgia. But with the most potent passing attack in the game and a very mature offensive line, yes we are supposed to beat Mississippi State. Is everyone overreacting? Yes. But to say that dooley should be given a pass for his dreadful record against ranked teams is laughable. We can't keep making mistakes for him. I love Dooley. He is a great man. He is not a great football coach. 3 years with the weapons he has is enough time to expect wins.

We are Tennessee. This isn't Louisville or Clemson. We play for championships, not bowl games.

Try rational thinking for a change -- it may even lead you to a whole new outlook on life. First, we would not have "the most potent passing attack in the game and a very mature offensive line", nor would we have "the weapons we [have]" if not for Dooley. He was intimately involved in recruiting all but a very few of our players and has overseen every bit of coaching that they have received since they have been here. Ultimately, after the Lord, we have to thank Dooley for everything positive about the current edition of the Vols.

I know this will shock you, and if you wish you may continue to believe your delusion that we were "supposed to beat Mississippi State", but you are dead wrong in that conclusion. The people who know the most about college football and "who should beat whom" -- the folks that make the lines and those who bet them, as well as the majority of sports commentators agreed that Mississippi State was the team that was "supposed to" win.

I know your were shocked and angry that you lost your money, but go back and check the sources you trust and yes, they will all tell you that MSU was favored to win the game.

Your anger and the anger of "fans" who think like you are severely harming the program you claim to love because your posts screaming for Dooley to be fired are not only making our program and fans a national laughing stock, but more importantly they are destroying our ability to recruit elite players and will set us back several years or more in our goal of returning to the top. Be careful what you wish for -- what makes you so sure that if your wish is granted that the next coach will do better than Dooley?? Then what will we do and where will the money come from to do it???

mlsoft

Reactions: 7 people
Try rational thinking for a change -- it may even lead you to a whole new outlook on life. First, we would not have "the most potent passing attack in the game and a very mature offensive line", nor would we have "the weapons we [have]" if not for Dooley. He was intimately involved in recruiting all but a very few of our players and has overseen every bit of coaching that they have received since they have been here. Ultimately, after the Lord, we have to thank Dooley for everything positive about the current edition of the Vols.

I know this will shock you, and if you wish you may continue to believe your delusion that we were "supposed to beat Mississippi State", but you are dead wrong in that conclusion. The people who know the most about college football and "who should beat whom" -- the folks that make the lines and those who bet them, as well as the majority of sports commentators agreed that Mississippi State was the team that was "supposed to" win.

I know your were shocked and angry that you lost your money, but go back and check the sources you trust and yes, they will all tell you that MSU was favored to win the game.

Your anger and the anger of "fans" who think like you are severely harming the program you claim to love because your posts screaming for Dooley to be fired are not only making our program and fans a national laughing stock, but more importantly they are destroying our ability to recruit elite players and will set us back several years or more in our goal of returning to the top. Be careful what you wish for -- what makes you so sure that if your wish is granted that the next coach will do better than Dooley?? Then what will we do and where will the money come from to do it???

mlsoft

But when was the Vegas line made, Fooley was well regarded as a loser. Our team is unorganized, poorly coached, and we won't do better than 6-6. We are undisciplined, and predictable. We haven't improved any, for we've gone backwards since nc state. Whoever says we aren't more talented than msu is delusional.

We can’t pull the plug on Dooley at this point.

Several reasons:

1. I think it looks like he’s building something. If you think it’s not important to build a program versus a win now attitude, see Auburn.

2. He represents my university well and handles off field issues with the program in mind.

3. Recruiting -- This guy has been pissing up a rope with something to sell and is still getting good players. Does he need more, YES. He is a really good recruiter and if we can turn the corner, it will really take off. Not to mention that if you run off Dooley then more than likely great recruiters like Hinshaw and mainly Jay Graham go to(Graham was a stud as a player and even better as a coach).

4. Next year - Holy ****!!!! Talk about next year. Here is Dave Hart’s conversation with prospective coaches: “Coach, we would really like for you to come coach our team next year. We just had our best 6 players(Bray, Hunter, CP, Juwan James, Maurice Couch and Big Dan) go pro early. Plus you get to road trip to Eugene to play the Ducks, Gainesville to play the Gators and Tuscaloosa to play the Tide. For all that we want you to leave *****(insert any hot assistant because no current head coach would take these circumstances) to come to UT to coach for a passionate but unrealistic fan base who will give you a very short leash and $2.2 million. Sound good?” Coaches response, “Thanks but GFY”.

At this point, most of our good players will come back. Bray’s not ready, Patterson is a freak but he’s not really ready. Hunter isn’t ready either but he’s got a small child so even being a third rounder will help his situation. I think the other guys mentioned above do come back if there is no coaching chance. Dooley has us in the lead for the top running back in the country, leading for the #2 wide receiver in the country and leading for a home grown DB that is a difference maker. The 2014 class could be really special and expedite the building process but a new coach and new staff will have to build all new relationships with Akeem Copperwood, the Berry Brothers, Dylan Bates and Todd Kelly, Jr. which means it would be highly unlikely that we get any of them.

If Dooley is gone after this year, I think we take another step back and that’s not what anybody wants.

There's far too much intelligence and logic here for me to disagree with.

I always believed it would take CDD 4 or 5 of HIS recruiting classes to get things turned around to where we could realistically compete with the best in the SEC and CDD only has 2 of HIS recruiting classes on campus now and I see alot more future NFL players in the 2 recruiting classes that CDD brought in than I've seen in the last 3 or 4 years combined.

If I had a vote I would say....unless we have the HUGE $$$ for the CDD buyout AND to get a top named, proven winner that can also recruit as well as CDD can then keep CDD, let him finish his rebuilding plan and save the HUDE $$$ for a year or 2 from now after we see for certain what this coaching staff can do with alot more SEC type/future NFL players on our roster.

Unlike many, my orange glasses are off but I CAN see improvement on our player roster and in their attitudes.

VFL...GBO!!!

If Dooley finishes 7-5 and only loses to top 20 teams which we were expected to lose, then he will have made substantial progress over the previous two years. "Substantial progress" is the criteria that Hart laid down for Dooley to be retained.

I would also note that both Kiffin and Fulmer (in his last year) lost games to unranked teams which we were favored to beat.

The bottom line is that Dooley took over this program on short notice right before NSD when it was an absolute train wreck that had the lowest level of talent in the modern era and was under the threat of NCAA sanctions. Dooley accepted the job as a five year rebuilding effort at a time when Tennessee was a job that nobody else was willing to take on. After only two and a half years into what everyone expected to be at least a five year project we have made huge strides in the offense,.especially in the run game and pass protection -- statistically, we are now among the most potent offenses in the nation. Overall, our special teams play is far better than before Dooley took over (especially the kickoff and punt coverage) and most importantly, in contrast to the latter Fulmer years and the year of "the Kiffin", Dooley has vastly improved the overall level of talent on our roster by targeting recruits who are not only outstanding football players, but who are young men of character as well.

The final task is to make the necessary changes on defense to bring it up to the same level as the offense, and based on what he has accomplished so far, I have every confidence Dooley will get that done, making Tennessee a contender once again. Overall, it is extremely hard for any rational person to deny that Dooley has met and even exceeded the criteria set down by Hart to retain his job.

Tennessee will reach its goal of competing for championships much faster if the fan base will just get behind our team and stop sabotaging our recruiting efforts by constantly going on public message boards to gripe and call for Dooley to be fired. Apparently they do not understand that even if their wish were to be granted, those very actions make it highly unlikely that a quality replacement for Dooley would be willing to take the job.

mlsoft

I'd like to be able to argue against this but I can't.

There's too much intelligence and logic on this post for any rational person to argue with.

Every smart person knew that when CDD took on this task it WAS a 4 to 5 year total rebuilding effort and CDD only has TWO recruiting classes of HIS on campus right now.

I think many people here on VN have badly OVER expected what this team could accomplish this season and I said all along that this team this season should be a 7 Win team with maybe 8 Wins or more only if we overachieve and get a big upset Win or a bowl game Win.

VFL...GBO!!!

Yeah, it is only Dooley "worshipers" hijacking the thread :crazy:

Gruden,
Jack delrio
Or
Kirby smart with as many assistant coaches from Alabama and LSU as we can get. If you can't beat them then steal there coaches along with there contact to there recruits!!

Pay the money

Gary Patterson enough said!
Tennesseeduke

Looks like a way to hide the truth and box it off to one side.

But when was the Vegas line made, Fooley was well regarded as a loser. Our team is unorganized, poorly coached, and we won't do better than 6-6. We are undisciplined, and predictable. We haven't improved any, for we've gone backwards since nc state. Whoever says we aren't more talented than msu is delusional.

So Freak makes a thread telling us about a new forum on the board and the Dooley worshipers hijack it.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

My friend...I'm NOT a worshipper of CDD or any coach!!!

I'm a Tennessee Orange bleeding fan of my Vols.

I will support any coach we have employed and doing the job.

If the time comes that AD Hart hires a new Head football coach then I will support that coach and his staff because they are the coaches of my Vols players.

In my 58 years I've seen alot of college football programs rise and fall but I can't recall a historic football program like Tennessee ever falling this badly.

With the player roster CDD took over if would be hard to win alot of games in the ACC much less in the SEC.

Now I see alot of players that CDD brought in that will probably be on a NFL team when they graduate from Tennessee and THAT is a certain sign of making progress.

EVERY one of the top SEC teams has lots of future NFL players stacked up on their 2 deep roster just waiting for their turn to get on the field and Tennessee does NOT have 4 full classes with several future NFL players yet.

Many here on VN simply aren't realistic or patient at all.

I hate losing and being patient but NOBODY else would come to Tennessee when CDD did and risk their coaching career.

VFL...GBO!!!

Reactions: 5 people

If the time comes that AD Hart hires a new
Head football coach then I will support that
coach and his staff because they are the
coaches of my Vols players.
In my 58 years I've seen alot of college football programs rise and fall but I can't recall a historic football program like
Tennessee ever falling this badly.

With the player roster CDD took over if
would be hard to win alot of games in the
ACC much less in the SEC.
Now I see alot of players that CDD brought in that will probably be on a NFL team when they graduate from Tennessee and THAT is
a certain sign of making progress.

EVERY one of the top SEC teams has lots of future NFL players stacked up on their 2
deep roster just waiting for their turn to get
on the field and Tennessee does NOT have
4 full classes with several future NFL players
yet.
I hate losing and being patient but NOBODY else would come to Tennessee when CDD did and risk their coaching career.

VFL...GBO!!!

I believe you nailed it. No coach would have this situation any better than it is now. The man hasn't even got his own seniors with any quality backup.

Reactions: 2 people

If the time comes that AD Hart hires a new Head football coach then I will support that coach and his staff because they are the coaches of my Vols players.

In my 58 years I've seen alot of college football programs rise and fall but I can't recall a historic football program like Tennessee ever falling this badly.

With the player roster CDD took over if would be hard to win alot of games in the ACC much less in the SEC.

Now I see alot of players that CDD brought in that will probably be on a NFL team when they graduate from Tennessee and THAT is a certain sign of making progress.

EVERY one of the top SEC teams has lots of future NFL players stacked up on their 2 deep roster just waiting for their turn to get on the field and Tennessee does NOT have 4 full classes with several future NFL players yet.

VFL...GBO!!!

Thank you so very much. We are of virtually the same age and you encapsulated my thoughts on the situation almost perfectly . . . with one exception. It may be little consolation but remember that we are one of only two programs, the other being either Michigan or Ohio State, that has never lost more than seven games in a single season. For all of their championships, Alabama can't make that claim. It is a little bit before our collective memory, but Alabama sustained a 17-game losing streak in 1954-1956 (see Alabama Historical Scores ). Note: They were shut out seven times in the short span of 17 games and scored only 133 points total in 1955-1956. So, I guarantee, things can always get a lot worse than we have had to contend with lately.

mlsoft

I always thought 7-5 would keep but if revenues drop from poor attendance then he's toast. We shall see

This is the worst coached team I have ever seen! he did a okay job stabilizing us..but is in way way over his head....I would bet his fate is already sealed!

I have a super secret insider that tells me things aren't going well and we need gruden. Listen don't shoot the messenger. Just trying to provide everyone out there with some credible intel. You're welcome

We can’t pull the plug on Dooley at this point.

Several reasons:

1. I think it looks like he’s building something. If you think it’s not important to build a program versus a win now attitude, see Auburn.

2. He represents my university well and handles off field issues with the program in mind.

3. Recruiting -- This guy has been pissing up a rope with something to sell and is still getting good players. Does he need more, YES. He is a really good recruiter and if we can turn the corner, it will really take off. Not to mention that if you run off Dooley then more than likely great recruiters like Hinshaw and mainly Jay Graham go to(Graham was a stud as a player and even better as a coach).

4. Next year - Holy ****!!!! Talk about next year. Here is Dave Hart’s conversation with prospective coaches: “Coach, we would really like for you to come coach our team next year. We just had our best 6 players(Bray, Hunter, CP, Juwan James, Maurice Couch and Big Dan) go pro early. Plus you get to road trip to Eugene to play the Ducks, Gainesville to play the Gators and Tuscaloosa to play the Tide. For all that we want you to leave *****(insert any hot assistant because no current head coach would take these circumstances) to come to UT to coach for a passionate but unrealistic fan base who will give you a very short leash and $2.2 million. Sound good?” Coaches response, “Thanks but GFY”.

At this point, most of our good players will come back. Bray’s not ready, Patterson is a freak but he’s not really ready. Hunter isn’t ready either but he’s got a small child so even being a third rounder will help his situation. I think the other guys mentioned above do come back if there is no coaching chance. Dooley has us in the lead for the top running back in the country, leading for the #2 wide receiver in the country and leading for a home grown DB that is a difference maker. The 2014 class could be really special and expedite the building process but a new coach and new staff will have to build all new relationships with Akeem Copperwood, the Berry Brothers, Dylan Bates and Todd Kelly, Jr. which means it would be highly unlikely that we get any of them.

If Dooley is gone after this year, I think we take another step back and that’s not what anybody wants.

I honestly couldn't say it any better than that. Well put!

Oh and on another note! I am a die hard VOL fan but until we pack our stadium with 93,000 for an Orange and White game. No one ever compare our fans to Alabama. They are devoted to their program and still supported their team while the high and mighties got them back on course in the 90's and early 2000's. So stop worrying about being a GM and start being a fan. Whether win or lose, there are over 75 kids working their butts off to try and bring a W for you and I. Let's Go Big Orange!

Reactions: 3 people
This is the worst coached team I have ever seen! he did a okay job stabilizing us..but is in way way over his head....I would bet his fate is already sealed!

Probably because you haven't seen many coached teams. Not saying your wrong but stop being a judgemental. Just support you VOLS! and enjoy life.

We need an upset! Go Big Orange!

I honestly couldn't say it any better than that. Well put!

Oh and on another note! I am a die hard VOL fan but until we pack our stadium with 93,000 for an Orange and White game. No one ever compare our fans to Alabama. They are devoted to their program and still supported their team while the high and mighties got them back on course in the 90's and early 2000's. So stop worrying about being a GM and start being a fan. Whether win or lose, there are over 75 kids working their butts off to try and bring a W for you and I. Let's Go Big Orange!

That's a very excellent point my friend.

I was stunned and couldn't believe the alaBubba fans packed their stadium like that just for a practice game.

That makes what we did for our Orange and White game look really pathetic by comparison.

Maybe if we could pack Neyland with 90,000+ fans for our Orange and White game the players would focus and work harder earlier on since they would see so many thousands of fans supporting them just for a practice game.

It's something to ponder on for sure so I think I'll make the drive and be at the next O & W game.

VFL...GBO!!!

Good to see some fans backing up our coach here.

I wish people would realize that after today we may have 4 losses to teams that are collectively something like 31-2. If WVU played our schedule they are probably 0-5. Rutgers is 6-0 but if they were playing us this week they are probably 7 point dogs. We would be the top our second ranked team in the ACC. Now before all of you Lou Holtz wannabes start typing... "being tops in the ACC isn't good enough for UT" or "We aren't Rutgers" hold your hand out in front of you. Count those five fingers. There are less than that teams who are clearly better than the guys who have beaten us. include the next 2 weeks in losses if you like.

My point (as if it weren't already clear) is that the jury is still out so leave it alone for now. If somebody wants Dooley gone, ask them WHO would we hire for a guaranteed immediate upgrade because that is what all the impatient fans want. When they scratch their head. If there is no CLEAR and sure solution then quit cackling until you've got an answer you'd bet your house on.

Good to see some fans backing up our coach here.

I wish people would realize that after today we may have 4 losses to teams that are collectively something like 31-2. If WVU played our schedule they are probably 0-5. Rutgers is 6-0 but if they were playing us this week they are probably 7 point dogs. We would be the top our second ranked team in the ACC. Now before all of you Lou Holtz wannabes start typing... "being tops in the ACC isn't good enough for UT" or "We aren't Rutgers" hold your hand out in front of you. Count those five fingers. There are less than that teams who are clearly better than the guys who have beaten us. include the next 2 weeks in losses if you like.

My point (as if it weren't already clear) is that the jury is still out so leave it alone for now. If somebody wants Dooley gone, ask them WHO would we hire for a guaranteed immediate upgrade because that is what all the impatient fans want. When they scratch their head. If there is no CLEAR and sure solution then quit cackling until you've got an answer you'd bet your house on.

More excellent points of reason and logic.

Another question to ask is.....WHERE does Tennessee get the HUGE amount of money to payoff CDD and his staff and to hire the great big named coach they want?

AD Hart just confirmed to the entire world this week in a interview that Tennessee is basically BROKE.

Go find the AD Hart interview and LEARN what all he said at Alabama Local News, Breaking News, Sports & Weather - al.com

VFL...GBO!!!

.... So stop worrying about being a GM and start being a fan. Whether win or lose, there are over 75 kids working their butts off to try and bring a W for you and I. Let's Go Big Orange!

This!

Great post! :pepper: :pepper: :pepper:

Thank you so very much. We are of virtually the same age and you encapsulated my thoughts on the situation almost perfectly . . . with one exception. It may be little consolation but remember that we are one of only two programs, the other being either Michigan or Ohio State, that has never lost more than seven games in a single season. For all of their championships, Alabama can't make that claim. It is a little bit before our collective memory, but Alabama sustained a 17-game losing streak in 1954-1956 (see Alabama Historical Scores ). Note: They were shut out seven times in the short span of 17 games and scored only 133 points total in 1955-1956. So, I guarantee, things can always get a lot worse than we have had to contend with lately.

Sorry,but we HAVE lost 8. in 08. Only once though. U r certainly correct when u say things could get worse. I remember when ONE loss ruined our season.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

VN Store

Back