New forum: Coaching Rumors and Speculation

Tommy Tuberville has won games (128-73, .637) for 17 seasons because he can coach defense and his teams knock off the big dogs. Texas Tech’s 49-14 rout of No. 5 West Virginia is Tuberville’s sixth over a top-five team in his career. Tech regularly dropped seven defenders into pass coverage and still pressured Mountaineer quarterback Geno Smith. The Red Raiders have allowed only eight plays of 20 yards or more this season, best in the FBS. They also haven’t allowed a 300-yard passing game. In the Big 12, that’s as good as a shutout.

I thought this appropriate for this thread. It is Per Ivan Maisel on his 3-point stance, on espn.com

Any thoughts on how he would do at UT. Just for fun.

blah blah Gruden blah bla Peterson blah blah Holgs blah nblah Petrino blah blah blah blah Golden blah blah Fulmer blah blah Tuberville blah blah

that ought to about cover it. Close the thread

Reactions: 1 person
Gruden,
Jack delrio
Or
Kirby smart with as many assistant coaches from Alabama and LSU as we can get. If you can't beat them then steal there coaches along with there contact to there recruits!!

Pay the money

Gruden,
Jack delrio
Or
Kirby smart with as many assistant coaches from Alabama and LSU as we can get. If you can't beat them then steal there coaches along with there contact to there recruits!!

Pay the money

Smart is just a little clipboard holder for Nicky Satan. Kinda reminds me of two other coaches here in Knoxville....

We can’t pull the plug on Dooley at this point.

Several reasons:

1. I think it looks like he’s building something. If you think it’s not important to build a program versus a win now attitude, see Auburn.

2. He represents my university well and handles off field issues with the program in mind.

3. Recruiting -- This guy has been pissing up a rope with something to sell and is still getting good players. Does he need more, YES. He is a really good recruiter and if we can turn the corner, it will really take off. Not to mention that if you run off Dooley then more than likely great recruiters like Hinshaw and mainly Jay Graham go to(Graham was a stud as a player and even better as a coach).

4. Next year - Holy ****!!!! Talk about next year. Here is Dave Hart’s conversation with prospective coaches: “Coach, we would really like for you to come coach our team next year. We just had our best 6 players(Bray, Hunter, CP, Juwan James, Maurice Couch and Big Dan) go pro early. Plus you get to road trip to Eugene to play the Ducks, Gainesville to play the Gators and Tuscaloosa to play the Tide. For all that we want you to leave *****(insert any hot assistant because no current head coach would take these circumstances) to come to UT to coach for a passionate but unrealistic fan base who will give you a very short leash and $2.2 million. Sound good?” Coaches response, “Thanks but GFY”.

At this point, most of our good players will come back. Bray’s not ready, Patterson is a freak but he’s not really ready. Hunter isn’t ready either but he’s got a small child so even being a third rounder will help his situation. I think the other guys mentioned above do come back if there is no coaching chance. Dooley has us in the lead for the top running back in the country, leading for the #2 wide receiver in the country and leading for a home grown DB that is a difference maker. The 2014 class could be really special and expedite the building process but a new coach and new staff will have to build all new relationships with Akeem Copperwood, the Berry Brothers, Dylan Bates and Todd Kelly, Jr. which means it would be highly unlikely that we get any of them.

If Dooley is gone after this year, I think we take another step back and that’s not what anybody wants.

Yeah, what he said 👆
Love your optimism!!
GO BIG ORANGE!

Reactions: 3 people

Several reasons:

1. I think it looks like he’s building something. If you think it’s not important to build a program versus a win now attitude, see Auburn.

2. He represents my university well and handles off field issues with the program in mind.

3. Recruiting -- This guy has been pissing up a rope with something to sell and is still getting good players. Does he need more, YES. He is a really good recruiter and if we can turn the corner, it will really take off. Not to mention that if you run off Dooley then more than likely great recruiters like Hinshaw and mainly Jay Graham go to(Graham was a stud as a player and even better as a coach).

4. Next year - Holy ****!!!! Talk about next year. Here is Dave Hart’s conversation with prospective coaches: “Coach, we would really like for you to come coach our team next year. We just had our best 6 players(Bray, Hunter, CP, Juwan James, Maurice Couch and Big Dan) go pro early. Plus you get to road trip to Eugene to play the Ducks, Gainesville to play the Gators and Tuscaloosa to play the Tide. For all that we want you to leave *****(insert any hot assistant because no current head coach would take these circumstances) to come to UT to coach for a passionate but unrealistic fan base who will give you a very short leash and $2.2 million. Sound good?” Coaches response, “Thanks but GFY”.

At this point, most of our good players will come back. Bray’s not ready, Patterson is a freak but he’s not really ready. Hunter isn’t ready either but he’s got a small child so even being a third rounder will help his situation. I think the other guys mentioned above do come back if there is no coaching chance. Dooley has us in the lead for the top running back in the country, leading for the #2 wide receiver in the country and leading for a home grown DB that is a difference maker. The 2014 class could be really special and expedite the building process but a new coach and new staff will have to build all new relationships with Akeem Copperwood, the Berry Brothers, Dylan Bates and Todd Kelly, Jr. which means it would be highly unlikely that we get any of them.

If Dooley is gone after this year, I think we take another step back and that’s not what anybody wants.

GREAT POST! :rock:

Reactions: 3 people

Several reasons:

4. Next year - Holy ****!!!! Talk about next year. Here is Dave Hart’s conversation with prospective coaches: “Coach, we would really like for you to come coach our team next year. We just had our best 6 players(Bray, Hunter, CP, Juwan James, Maurice Couch and Big Dan) go pro early. Plus you get to road trip to Eugene to play the Ducks, Gainesville to play the Gators and Tuscaloosa to play the Tide...

This is a completely awesome post, in that it's on the thread by Freak announcing a new forum for posts like this, which means that this thread announcing the new forum should be moved to the new forum, which would result in members not knowing that there's a new forum.

I love VN. :crazy: Go Vols!!!

Last edited:
Tommy Tuberville has won games (128-73, .637) for 17 seasons because he can coach defense and his teams knock off the big dogs. Texas Tech’s 49-14 rout of No. 5 West Virginia is Tuberville’s sixth over a top-five team in his career. Tech regularly dropped seven defenders into pass coverage and still pressured Mountaineer quarterback Geno Smith. The Red Raiders have allowed only eight plays of 20 yards or more this season, best in the FBS. They also haven’t allowed a 300-yard passing game. In the Big 12, that’s as good as a shutout.

I thought this appropriate for this thread. It is Per Ivan Maisel on his 3-point stance, on espn.com

Any thoughts on how he would do at UT. Just for fun.
IF the guy that went west done it 2 weeks before he did it, he would be here now.

if a change is made in the next year or two, will UT consider cutcliffe or kirby smart first?

What might be a lot of fun is an interactive "Paint the Rock" forum where folks can let their creative juices flow...

Let me say first that I am NOT in favor of letting Dooley go at this point in time. Period.

Having said that I'm not naive enough to think that it cannot happen following a dismal season. Here are some names to keep an eye out for:

1. Kirby Smart - Defensive guy, so he'd have to bring in an offensive coordinator to run that side of the ball. Also another Bammer in here following the "if you can't beat em, join em" saying... Side note is that he's had his eye and hopes on the UGA job if it were to come open, so it would take more than people think to lure him away from a great position at Bama and keep him if the UGA job were to come open anytime in the near future.

2. Jim Mora Jr. - He's started to rebuild nicely already at UCLA and would bring assistant coach and QB guru Noel Mazzone with him wherever he goes next... Also has NFL credential for those who are concerned with that being a key to a big name coach.

3. Charlie Strong - Defensive minded guy, but has great reputation throughout college football and is a proven winner at both Florida and has rebuilt the Louisville program from basically nothing. He wants to get back into the SEC and this opportunity would seem to be right up his alley. He's also a phenomenal recruiter.

4. Chad Morris - Offensive Coordinator at Clemson is well respected throughout NCAA and can recruit athletes. He's got a great situation as one of highest paid assistants in country, but would be worth taking a stab at to gage his interest.

5. Dan Mullen - Some will say "why would he leave a program in a better situation to come here?" but this is a better job than Miss State. More $ in program, more resources, better facilities, better fanbase, better location, better tradition, and he doesn't have to beat out LSU and Bama every year to go to the SEC championship game... He's done a great job at Miss St in his tenure there.

6. James Franklin - Some will laugh at this one, but he's further down on the list for a reason b/c obviously he's not a first choice. However make no mistake Franklin can coach and is a great recruiter. Look what he's done at VANDERBILT... He gets his kids to play hard, competes with inferior talent, and has started to bring SOME athletes into Nashville that have no business being there.

7. Al Golden - He's facing a lot of scrutiny and pending sanctions at Miami. Also AD is leaving. He has started to rebuild down in Coral Gables, but may be looking for an exit strategy. Obviously not a first choice similar to Franklin, but an option to consider at least.

All this talk about John Gruden is humorous at best at this point. No one has ever actually had evidence he would consider this job. Just because the guy is rumored to have land in east TN and a brief history here doesn't mean he's gonna leave a lucrative job to come coach kids. Would love to have him obviously, but at this point in time that seems like a long shot.

4. Chad Morris - Offensive Coordinator at Clemson is well respected throughout NCAA and can recruit athletes. He's got a great situation as one of highest paid assistants in country, but would be worth taking a stab at to gage his interest.

Why not Dabo? We are a step up from Clemson and we shouldn't be going after ACC OCs

Why not Dabo? We are a step up from Clemson and we shouldn't be going after ACC OCs

Dabo is sitting pretty at Clemson. He's a Clemson guy... And he doesn't have to compete with the big boys to get to a Natl championship on a weekly basis at Clemson. He's got two great recruiting classes in a row also so idk why he'd want to leave a situation like that?

If Dooley finishes 7-5 and only loses to top 20 teams which we were expected to lose, then he will have made substantial progress over the previous two years. "Substantial progress" is the criteria that Hart laid down for Dooley to be retained.

I would also note that both Kiffin and Fulmer (in his last year) lost games to unranked teams which we were favored to beat.

The bottom line is that Dooley took over this program on short notice right before NSD when it was an absolute train wreck that had the lowest level of talent in the modern era and was under the threat of NCAA sanctions. Dooley accepted the job as a five year rebuilding effort at a time when Tennessee was a job that nobody else was willing to take on. After only two and a half years into what everyone expected to be at least a five year project we have made huge strides in the offense,.especially in the run game and pass protection -- statistically, we are now among the most potent offenses in the nation. Overall, our special teams play is far better than before Dooley took over (especially the kickoff and punt coverage) and most importantly, in contrast to the latter Fulmer years and the year of "the Kiffin", Dooley has vastly improved the overall level of talent on our roster by targeting recruits who are not only outstanding football players, but who are young men of character as well.

The final task is to make the necessary changes on defense to bring it up to the same level as the offense, and based on what he has accomplished so far, I have every confidence Dooley will get that done, making Tennessee a contender once again. Overall, it is extremely hard for any rational person to deny that Dooley has met and even exceeded the criteria set down by Hart to retain his job.

Tennessee will reach its goal of competing for championships much faster if the fan base will just get behind our team and stop sabotaging our recruiting efforts by constantly going on public message boards to gripe and call for Dooley to be fired. Apparently they do not understand that even if their wish were to be granted, those very actions make it highly unlikely that a quality replacement for Dooley would be willing to take the job.

mlsoft

Reactions: 12 people

VN Store

Back