Never thought I would say this.

I'm only 28. I dont actually remember the 98 championship game. Despite enduring more bad seasons than good and some embarrassing losses, I've stayed interested and excited even, watching even to the last whistle in big blowout losses. I've considered myself a big passionate fan.

I'm no longer interested in Tenn football. The program hasnt been interested in actually winning in awhile now. There's more to life than sports.

This could be one of those games that changes a season, a program.

I'm expecting "see ya" comments. I'm not boycotting, quitting like some of these guys. I've seriously, legitimately lost interest in watching them play. If I get a chance to watch and it's a close game, I'll tune in. Outside of Dobbs, the program has been a dumpster fire and this is an all time low. I'm just going to stop planning my life around gameday. I just dont care anymore. Obviously, Tenn athletics doesnt.

A big reason why I laid this aside other than for curiosity's sake. I am 59, so I have been around for more of it, but I understand your shock. But as for me, this is not hurting me. Incompetence has been stacked on top of incompetence for too long over there. I was there in 98 for every game. It was special, but I fear you will see more solar eclipses in your life than seasons of greatness for Tennessee football. Hate me if you want, folks. Find comfort in the fact that Tennessee is primed to become a basketball school. We can hope for that.

Well I am not going to give up, I'll always be a vol fan, but I surely do understand why some may. That really was pitiful. I will be interested to hear what Pruitt has to say and see what happens in the next couple of games.
What bothers me is they were obviously not ready to play. I guess they thought they could just show up, and Georgia State just wore them out after the 1st half. No excuse for this loss, none.

Almost signed up for ESPN+ to make sure I could get every game... glad I waited and caught a stream

I'm only 28. I dont actually remember the 98 championship game. Despite enduring more bad seasons than good and some embarrassing losses, I've stayed interested and excited even, watching even to the last whistle in big blowout losses. I've considered myself a big passionate fan.

I'm no longer interested in Tenn football. The program hasnt been interested in actually winning in awhile now. There's more to life than sports.

I'm expecting "see ya" comments. I'm not boycotting, quitting like some of these guys. I've seriously, legitimately lost interest in watching them play. If I get a chance to watch and it's a close game, I'll tune in. Outside of Dobbs, the program has been a dumpster fire and this is an all time low. I'm just going to stop planning my life around gameday. I just dont care anymore. Obviously, Tenn athletics doesnt.

You opened with an interesting statement that brought back a lot of memories for me. I remember the 98 championship "TEAM" not just the championship game. I remember the camera zooming in on the offensive and defensive team members getting up in the faces of their team members yelling, empowering, chastising, and doing whatever it took to make that team get out there on that field and play like it was their last day to play. Sorry for the long sentence. I honestly don't see that any more. I hope other Vol fans will agree, this program has gone through such a Topsy-turvey change in coaches and players, there's just not been a cohesiveness that has melded the team into one formidable power team. You're right, Josh Dobbs was a bright spot, but to say that alone is bad. There should be more bright spots. One can say what they will, yes Fulmer had some issues, but they weren't all on him, the players bear some responsibility. Then after Fulmer leaves, I have no idea what the AD was thinking hiring well.... I won't even say their names because they left this program a mess that is still in recovery this many years out. I still have hope that they'll get better. I hope they can will a few games this season. Sad to say, I don't see bowl eligible in that this is just week 1 against a piss poor team. "Go Vols" Here's hoping today was wake up call, but I just don't know. I'm not giving up on them, but they need to stop giving up on themselves. When Al came home and was at church a few week ago, I said to him how I wish he was on the defensive coaching staff so he could get them boys fired up like he used to do. He was gracious. And now that his pic is up on the UT Jumbotron, I wonder if the team looks up for motivation to see who's looking down on them.

Last edited:
Reactions: WhitewaterVol
Not really; this is a team loss...

I think he's right though. Every time JG went competently down field Georgia State blew some massive coverage and it was a big gainer.

They're a 2-10 team in a putrid conference. So it's not a surprise they blow pass coverage every play.

JG is not a good enough quarterback to take advantage of that. We can't know for sure whether the backups are equally incompetent. It seems unlikely they all are though. As we've mentioned, this team was 2-10 in a putrid conference for a reason. They're bad at football.

Sad to say, I don't see bowl eligible in that this is just week 1 against a piss poor team. "Go Vols" Here's hoping today was wake up call, but I just don't know. I'm not giving up on them, but they need to stop giving up on themselves.
The ONLY piss-poor team I saw on the field today was wearing orange.

I'll be fishing on Saturdays from here on out and not worrying about my new to me rig not having a radio in it.

Old enough to remember when Johnny Came Marching home, John Ward, and Claude Tomlinson. Can't stand listening to Bob Kessling, and now can't stand to listen to the games by anyone. Just more poor play.

I've decided today I'm going to find another team to get interested in. I've stuck around for years and a lifetime for the Titans and Vols and I'm done. There's no more patience left and they are making me hate football.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
For those of us old enough to remember the "good old days" where we competed for the championship of both the SEC and National Championship.. and we dumped Fulmer because he didn't win the big one but one time. When a winning program dumps the winning coach..be careful what you wish for.

Good to see you Boro.👊🏼 How’s your son doing?

Thanks....he’s good. Moved to WR....pulled groin in camp. Be back Monday for game prep...first game next week.

We won the conference outright last season for the first time in school history. Went to the playoffs.

Fall will be forever fishing season from this day forth
That’s been my enjoyment for awhile, football hasn’t been fun for me for a long time..I used to love the game, when Tennessee was good ya watched a lot of football now I don’t care bout it anymore..

Thanks....he’s good. Moved to WR....pulled groin in camp. Be back Monday for game prep...first game next week.

We won the conference outright last season for the first time in school history. Went to the playoffs.

Awesome. Best times as a dad is watching your kids flourish. See ya ‘round.

Reactions: 'Boro-vol

I bought a TV subscription just for Tennessee football and it's now cancelled. I've got more important things to do than spend every Saturday pissed and drunk. I love Tennessee football. It's simply too heartbreaking to watch this.

Reactions: BigOrangeAl 1979
This sums up my feelings exactly and I happen to be 28. I do remember the 98 season though and considered myself as big a fan as anybody. I grew up getting to do the skybox experience and meet Peyton and Phil and many others. But last year broke me, which I guess is good because this one doesn’t sting as bad because Id already reached that apathetic point. It really sucks because Tennessee football was one of the things I had the most interest and got the most enjoyment from.

That’s been my enjoyment for awhile, football hasn’t been fun for me for a long time..I used to love the game, when Tennessee was good ya watched a lot of football now I don’t care bout it anymore..
Yeah, on to better things that I can actually somewhat control lol.

Reactions: Volz4lif3
I will be 52 next month. Ever since I was 8 I looked forward to Saturday's and my beloved Vols taking the field. I felt heartache when they lost close games, and excitement to see how they would play the following week. I have seen greatness from teams of years past. Today was the worst I have seen any Tennessee team play. I will watch next week, but lose to BYU, and I will not watch another game as long as Pruitt is the coach, and until we hire a proven coach to head up the program. I wish I could say it hurts to take that approach, but the effort on the field, lack of fire from the coaching staff, and overall player attitude has brought my apathy to an all time high.

Pruitt has now entered the Tennessee house of pain. Alot negativity will be directed squarely at him. It will be interesting to see how he handles it. Hopefully better than Butch.

VN Store

Back