Need to "Michigan-Proof" CBJ (Butch Jones and Michigan merged)

Poll: Does UT retain Butch?

• Total voters
(Fulmer pic goes here, but it's too complicated on my phone)

Heck :)crazy:), if we had to go coach shopping again, I'd be OK with bringing CPF back. I'm pretty sure he learned his lesson about letting his players run the program, and it's pretty obvious that he'd never leave for somewhere else.

Not the worst thing we've ever done, that's for sure.

--I'm still a bit irked at how much $$& we paid him, but that was how his contract worked, and bidness is bidness.

OK, no clue how an edit turned into a quote. Dang tiny phone. Can't wait till the 6+ is delivered.

These coaches are not rooted here in Tennessee. They will do what they think is in the best interest of their family every time. The days of having a loyal home grown coach are gone, don't get to attached to the staff.

Someone needs a hug.

Abandonment issues - the struggle is real.

2 things here...

First, when rumors broke on Pete Carroll leaving USC for the NFL, I was hearing all the same stuff about Kiffin that you guys are sayig about Butch now. So, if we've learned anything its to never say never.

That's big time apples and oranges. Kiffin was a former OC at USC, had NFL HC experience and seemingly had begun to restore order at Tennessee.

I like Butch, but his resume isn't in that ballpark yet. Hiring him at Michigan would be akin to Auburn hiring Gene Chizik a few years ago.

Reactions: 3 people
So you want to build a statue for a guy who had all kinds of ability to maintain the program but instead got lazy and produced 2 losing seasons in his last 4 years? You may want to research some history as to how the program got to where it is now.

You should probably not keep dispensing this opinion, lest you look like one of those idiots that wanted Fulmer fired.

Firing Fulmer is CLEARLY the biggest blunder any university has made in the last 30 years.

We went from perennial powerhouse to irrelevant. There is no debating that.

Reactions: 2 people
You should probably not keep dispensing this opinion, lest you look like one of those idiots that wanted Fulmer fired.

Firing Fulmer is CLEARLY the biggest blunder any university has made in the last 30 years. False

We went from perennial powerhouse to irrelevant. False There is no debating that. Extremely False

Lock Butch up. You people that are saying he should go or he hasn't proven anything yet are ridiculous. Absolutely ridiculous. That man has single handled changed the atmosphere of a dying program and has saved us from the brink of irrelevance. He took a bunch of no name players last year who had played for several different coaches and almost took them to a bowl, after a ridiculous schedule. This year we have a shot of going 7-5 after another ridiculous schedule and a team full of inexperienced freshmen! Some of you need to learn how to look at the big picture and learn to have patience. I can't handle some of y'all anymore.

Reactions: 1 person
Lock Butch up. You people that are saying he should go or he hasn't proven anything yet are ridiculous. Absolutely ridiculous. That man has single handled changed the atmosphere of a dying program and has saved us from the brink of irrelevance. He took a bunch of no name players last year who had played for several different coaches and almost took them to a bowl, after a ridiculous schedule. This year we have a shot of going 7-5 after another ridiculous schedule and a team full of inexperienced freshmen! Some of you need to learn how to look at the big picture and learn to have patience. I can't handle some of y'all anymore.

I'll be the first to admit he did one hell of a job because seemingly he has a large number of you ready to anoint him as the greatest coach in America.
That is not to downplay what he has done well but merely to say context is lacking in much of what is discussed about him.

Tennessee is the only major NCAA program that would hire a coach with a losing record.

Well, Auburn did it, but the difference was, their fans were pissed about it, so they had to go get Malzahn and other big name assistants to calm them down. We hired Dooley and our fans just lapped it up, decided that you couldn't judge a coach at all for 3 years, insulted anyone with common sense, and cheered him on to a contract extension with a huge buyout, because they were afraid someone would steal him away. Unfortunately, that insanity doesn't seem to have vanished entirely.

We're already paying him $3.2 million. You're acting like we got a steal for somebody who has won 2 of his first 10 SEC games.

Besides, if Michigan were to come calling (I still say no chance in Hell) and he were to take it, it probably wouldn't be about the money anyway. Just like it wasn't about the money with Kiffin. We could've offered Lane $10 million a year and he would've still gone to USC.

Well, Auburn did it, but the difference was, their fans were pissed about it, so they had to go get Malzahn and other big name assistants to calm them down. We hired Dooley and our fans just lapped it up, decided that you couldn't judge a coach at all for 3 years, insulted anyone with common sense, and cheered him on to a contract extension with a huge buyout, because they were afraid someone would steal him away. Unfortunately, that insanity doesn't seem to have vanished entirely.

Auburn was basically backed into a corner by Jimmy Sexton and had to hire Chizik after what they did to Tommy Tuberville.

If he goes, he goes.

Yep. I don't get why people fall head over heels in love with their coaches these days, particularly unproven ones. The vast majority of them are hired guns. Jones can say he's "VFL" all he wants, but 2 years ago he probably didn't even know the words to Rocky Top.

Okay, so one of Michigan's top targets is a guy who can't win a single game in his conference?

No no no... you mistook what I said. I was only referring to the "wisdom from the mouth of a bammer" part. That's an oxymoron, thus, I just dismissed the Bammer based on that part of your comment alone. I agree with you that this is much ado about nothing at this point.

2 things here...

First, when rumors broke on Pete Carroll leaving USC for the NFL, I was hearing all the same stuff about Kiffin that you guys are sayig about Butch now. So, if we've learned anything its to never say never.

Second, other than being born in Michigan, Butch has no ties to the University of Michigan. This is a different situation than Kiffin altogether. Will Big Blue sniff around on Butch? Probably. But they don't have to take the risk. Unlike Tennessee, there's no storm cloud of potential violations, there's no in-fighting within the administration and their is a long list of proven coaches who already have ties to the University. Like Tennessee, they have a long standing tradition and a passionate fan base. They do not have to take a risk with an unproven coach and can pretty well have anyone they want.

All this to say, I too have thought about the Butch to Michigan angle as well. But I just can't see it happening. I think the world of Butch. But Michigan does not have to settle for Butch. The dynamics are completely different than the USC situation and as much as it hurts, Tennessee was in a place where we had to settle. I think we found a diamond in the rough and are dang lucky we did. But its time for a reality check.

The diff between Michigan and USC is USC was facing uncertainty with NCAA probe. That is why they had to go down the list to Kiffin.

If he goes, he goes.

Exactly. Clay Travis was hard on Butch this week on OKTC. We are going to find out everything we need to know about Butch and Co in the next four games.

The only thing these Michigan rumors should stir up is UTAD to be thinking seriously about how to build the bridge back to Gruden.

Butch has put some momentum into the program. If he bolts, UTAD has to think BIG to keep that up and get us within striking distance of the SECCG.

Yep. I don't get why people fall head over heels in love with their coaches these days, particularly unproven ones. The vast majority of them are hired guns. Jones can say he's "VFL" all he wants, but 2 years ago he probably didn't even know the words to Rocky Top.

He knew the words cause he heard it all day when UT whipped Cincy 3 years ago

Crazy how Bruce Pearl was the last coach I thought genuinely loved Tennessee.. and he's gone too. Lol.

Hammy should have gone to the wall and beyond for Bruce. We can blame Hambone for that one too.

Hambone should have told the NCAA to GTFO and dropped Neyland Stadium on them for Bruce.

That was a good analysis. It would be interesting to see the writers conclusion given that Butch has gone 1-3 since the original post.

It is unfortunate that so many cannot see beyond the simplistic view that an immediate W/L record is all that a school looks at when evaluating a candidate. That of course would be akin to looking at the record of scholarship candidates high school team as a deciding factor in offering him a scholarship.

VN Store

Back