Need to "Michigan-Proof" CBJ (Butch Jones and Michigan merged)

Poll: Does UT retain Butch?

• Total voters
I wouldn't pay him a dime more than his current contract. If he wants to go, then say goodbye. We should not pay someone to not jump ship unless they have done far, far more than Jones has to date. I like his attitude, drive, and ability to recruit but it boils down to Ws and Ls and so far we have had far too many Ls to pay any ransom to keep him.

Reactions: 3 people
Hammy should have gone to the wall and beyond for Bruce. We can blame Hambone for that one too.

Hambone should have told the NCAA to GTFO and dropped Neyland Stadium on them for Bruce.

Used to disagree with this but after seeing Miami and PSU among others, take on NCAA, I wonder of it would have worked. Stil think right call was made but I think Hart may have fought hard

Reactions: 1 person
The more I read Volnation the more I shake my head and think "I'm part of the dumbest most ignorant fan base in all of college football"......

Reactions: 6 people
Crazy how Bruce Pearl was the last coach I thought genuinely loved Tennessee.. and he's gone too. Lol.

That was all fakery too. He tried unsuccessfully to get his name into at least 2 other jobs while he was at UT. After Calipari went to UK he used the Memphis opening to con Hamilton into giving him a raise even though UM never offered him the job.

Les Miles will go home this time, all he has to do is beat 2 teams in the entire league, OHIO STATE and Michigan State, think he might be tired of the WEST, and a few teams in the East coming back to the top, if he does not go this time he will be there the rest of his coaching life, now with the talent he has got he might stay, but if they throw the green at him he will go, remember he likes grass.:), Plus the only thing coach Jones has proved that he can recruit, he has not proven he can coach, which I think he can, just don't think Michigan will come after him, unless there first 4 or 5 choices turn them down, I don't think coach Jones would leave before the job is done and its a long way from being complete.:ermm:

Last edited:
I wouldn't pay him a dime more than his current contract. If he wants to go, then say goodbye. We should not pay someone to not jump ship unless they have done far, far more than Jones has to date. I like his attitude, drive, and ability to recruit but it boils down to Ws and Ls and so far we have had far too many Ls to pay any ransom to keep him.

No one wants to coach at Tennessee. Not negavoling, its been proven with past searches. It'd be disastrous not to at least try to keep him here.

Les Miles will go home this time, all he has to do is beat 2 teams in the entire league, OHIO STATE and Michigan State, think he might be tired of the WEST, and a few teams in the East coming back to the top, if he does not go this time he will be there the rest of his coaching life, now with the talent he has got he might stay, but if they throw the green at him he will go, remember he likes grass.:)
That ship has sailed imo

LSU's win over Ole Miss might keep Les Mils from leaving now, but Michigan will throw 5-6 million at next coach and probably, to read reports up north, will have a hard time getting the top names on their lists.

The issues between Lloyd Carr, Gary Moeller, Dave Brandon, and Les Miles will always prevent Miles from ever coaching at UM. Until Brandon is fired and Moeller/Carr are pushed away from the program and University (which will never happen), Miles will never take a job there.

And best of all for you will be many more years of 4-7, maybe 5-7 and an occasional 3-7 providing all the fodder you might need to whine incessantly for the forseeably future.

Since you're being a dick, I'll do the same and remind you of a few things:

4-7 is only possible if we cancel a game like Florida did this season.

3-7 is only possible if we cancel two games.

UT is bigger than ANY coach. Your love of the coach is borderline creepy. If he wants to leave, I hope he leaves. If he stays I hope he wins.

Reactions: 2 people

UT is bigger than ANY coach. Your love of the coach is borderline creepy. If he wants to leave, I hope he leaves. If he stays I hope he wins.

If you can't understand that constant turnover and loss of good recruits/employees is bad for football and business, that's your problem. Misery loves company and you seem to want to stay miserable. A coaching change sets us back again.

Reactions: 4 people
If you can't understand that constant turnover and loss of good recruits/employees is bad for football and business, that's your problem. Misery loves company and you seem to want to stay miserable. A coaching change sets us back again.

I do love company. I missed you, sparty!

I agree it's a setback. But it's not as much of a setback as over paying a coach that hasn't won while here. I don't want him to leave, but if he does, he does.

If UT then goes out and seriously pursues a quality coach, they will be okay.

I am all for continuity, but not for being held hostage by a below average (at this stage) SEC coach.

I do love company. I missed you, sparty!

I agree it's a setback. But it's not as much of a setback as over paying a coach that hasn't won while here. I don't want him to leave, but if he does, he does.

If UT then goes out and seriously pursues a quality coach, they will be okay.

I am all for continuity, but not for being held hostage by a below average (at this stage) SEC coach.

He's in yr 2 and has 4 more games to go to finish the year.

It is unfortunate that so many cannot see beyond the simplistic view that an immediate W/L record is all that a school looks at when evaluating a candidate. That of course would be akin to looking at the record of scholarship candidates high school team as a deciding factor in offering him a scholarship.

Not even close to an apples to apples comparison. Head coaches are judged on their record (as well as other things, but the record is the thing they show on every telecast).

I like Butch and support him 100%, and you missed my point, which is perception from UM's standpoint. Butch does not have the perception as a big winner at the highest levels of college football because he has not achieved that yet.

The UM AD is feeling as much heat as Hoke right now. He needs a homerun hire to get the wolves off his back. That would be a coach with a name and proven success. A coach like Butch would need an explanation as to why they THINK he is a good hire, and that is exactly what the UM AD does not need right now.

True....glad to give you something else to disect into futility.

I'm shocked that you would give such a simple answer. UT was certainly bigger than Fulmer right? Enjoy the next 7 years, it sounds as if you might have plenty of fuel for your campaign to attack the football program.

I also want to add this thought. I don't think Butch would be interested in leaving unless he doubts his ability to win at UT. He is in the middle of this rebuilding effort, and the wins should start coming (if they are going to come) by next season (or 2016 at the latest). Why start over if you are well on your way to success.

This is amplified by the fact that Michigan is a dying state with bad weather, although it does have that world class city known as Detroit nearby (sarcasm). Tennessee is a much nicer place to live. This should matter when you factor in the fact that Butch has never attended classes or worked as a coach at UM.

Not even close to an apples to apples comparison. Head coaches are judged on their record (as well as other things, but the record is the thing they show on every telecast).

I like Butch and support him 100%, and you missed my point, which is perception from UM's standpoint. Butch does not have the perception as a big winner at the highest levels of college football because he has not achieved that yet.

The UM AD is feeling as much heat as Hoke right now. He needs a homerun hire to get the wolves off his back. That would be a coach with a name and proven success. A coach like Butch would need an explanation as to why they THINK he is a good hire, and that is exactly what the UM AD does not need right now.

Uh for the record, in case you aren't aware, a school is not that concerned with what is considered important on a "network telecast." While we fans tend to view success as simply "who have you beaten lately," schools look at who can build a program such as what Jones is doing at UT. If we do not have the fortitude to see it through you can bet other schools do. Stand back and watch.

Amen to this!!!! I realize this is a message board and everyone has the right to post their opinion but for anyone talking about changing coaches, this just doesn't make sense to me. We are exactly where most of us thought we would be at this time of the season. I strongly believe we will win 3 out of the next 4 games and be invited to a Bowl. The man is doing a great job considering what he inherited and is a top recruiter.

He is having to play 22 or 23 freshmen with the majority of these being 4 and 5 star players so to me the future looks quite bright. Now that the hardest part of the season is finally over, we can sit back and enjoy the latter part of the schedule which we could possibly win them all.

Come on fellow Vol fans let's all try to relax and enjoy the rest of the season and then the Bowl game!

Another thought, if our impatient fans somehow run off our current coach and considering the state of the program when he took over, who do you think would accept the position?

Uh for the record, in case you aren't aware, a school is not that concerned with what is considered important on a "network telecast." While we fans tend to view success as simply "who have you beaten lately," schools look at who can build a program such as what Jones is doing at UT. If we do not have the fortitude to see it through you can bet other schools do. Stand back and watch.

Okay, only people on TV care about a coach's ability to win games. Got it. Thanks for the clarification.

Anybody who thinks that Michigan is going to hire a guy whose team is an SEC doormat is crazy. It doesn't matter what our issues are or what extenuating circumstances might exist here, Michigan is like us--looking for a winner, and they are not going to hire somebody who's been losing. That's the bottom line. I know this: Getting Michigan back to respectability or better will be MUCH EASIER than getting us back, as UM is not playing teams ranked in the freakin' top 10 or top 5 EVERY WEEK. As rebuilding jobs go, Jones has a very tough challenge.

VN Store

Back