Moore v. Strange

So now Trump is mad at his political advisers for having him back the loser, and Trump got up this morning and started deleting the tweets he has posted supporting Strange, and replaced them with one supporting Moore.

Trump's ego is so fragile that its hard to even put into words.

Reactions: 7 people
So now Trump is mad at his political advisers for having him back the loser, and Trump got up this morning and started deleting the tweets he has posted supporting Strange, and replaced them with one supporting Moore.

Trump's ego is so fragile that its hard to even put into words.

Stay angry LG, gonna be a long 7+ years.

Reactions: 2 people
I really think Moore's idea of a utopia is a Christian theocracy, Taliban style.

I've always found it ironic that many on the right prize personal traits and ideologies that they despise in others. Unquestioning nationalism (see kneeling debate), blind love and support of the military arm of the government, religious fundamentalism, and distrust and dislike of anyone who is different..........

Reactions: 1 person
Moore’s victory was as big a victory for Bannon and the news site he directs as it was a loss for McConnell and the establishment.

Bannon, fighting on the opposite side of Trump, had been clear in proclaiming Moore as the anti-establishment conservative taking on the entrenched powers in Washington.

At a rally for Moore on Sunday, Bannon described McConnell and his allies as “corrupt and incompetent.”

Introducing a victorious Moore on Tuesday night, Bannon heralded a “revolution” spearheaded by populists who “do not have to raise money from the elites, the crony capitalists, from the fat cats in Washington, D.C., New York City and Silicon Valley.”

Breitbart was just as celebratory. “Blowout in ‘Bama,” its main headline proclaimed atop a homepage crammed full of headlines insisting, among other things, that the GOP establishment had been “brought to [its] knees.”

Bannon’s enemies within the GOP, of whom there are plenty, will roll their eyes at what they see as self-aggrandizement. But this was clearly a huge win for the pugnacious strategist and his acolytes.

http://thehill.com/homenews/the-memo/352614-five-takeaways-from-the-alabama-run-off

The establishment still doesn't get the demands of the people of its own party

It's not like Strange strayed from Trumps agenda, he was an adamant supporter. Crazy that people would rather elect a theocrat.

Not entirely.

For some portion of the Republican party -- we can debate how large a portion -- their politics are driven by conservative Christian values. Or at least their interpretation of them. And they associate the Republican party as supporting those values. Although by no means limited to the South, see e.g. Palin, nowhere is that phenomenon more prevalent than in the South.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/26/politics/alabama-senate-republican-roy-moore-greatest-hits/index.html

Vox's Jeff Stein interviewed Moore over the summer. He emerged with a handful of brow-raising nuggets, but this excerpted exchange stood out. Both for its weirdness and the insight it provides into the kind of senator Moore, should he prevail, figures to be.
Stein begins by asking if Moore believes that "Sharia law is a danger to America?" Here's what follows:
Roy Moore
"There are communities under Sharia law right now in our country. Up in Illinois. Christian communities; I don't know if they may be Muslim communities. But Sharia law is a little different from American law. It is founded on religious concepts."
Stein
"Which American communities are under Sharia law? When did they fall under Sharia law?"
Moore
"Well, there's Sharia law, as I understand it, in Illinois, Indiana -- up there. I don't know."
Stein
"That seems like an amazing claim for a Senate candidate to make."
Moore
"Well, let me just put it this way -- if they are, they are; if they're not, they're not."
The claim is, of course, entirely false.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/26/politics/alabama-senate-republican-roy-moore-greatest-hits/index.html

Vox's Jeff Stein interviewed Moore over the summer. He emerged with a handful of brow-raising nuggets, but this excerpted exchange stood out. Both for its weirdness and the insight it provides into the kind of senator Moore, should he prevail, figures to be.
Stein begins by asking if Moore believes that "Sharia law is a danger to America?" Here's what follows:
Roy Moore
"There are communities under Sharia law right now in our country. Up in Illinois. Christian communities; I don't know if they may be Muslim communities. But Sharia law is a little different from American law. It is founded on religious concepts."
Stein
"Which American communities are under Sharia law? When did they fall under Sharia law?"
Moore
"Well, there's Sharia law, as I understand it, in Illinois, Indiana -- up there. I don't know."
Stein
"That seems like an amazing claim for a Senate candidate to make."
Moore
"Well, let me just put it this way -- if they are, they are; if they're not, they're not."
The claim is, of course, entirely false.[/QUOTE]

This is the Trump model

Reactions: 6 people
In fact, it is MOORE who believes in some weird christian theology that he considers the supreme law of the land in America--not our actual legal laws. He's crazy--legitimately crazy--and it is just another example of how many backward, stupid goobers there are in this country--and especially the south and middle America generally--that a guy like this would win a state-wide election and now be on his way to the U.S. Senate. I mean, the quote above is so telling--he makes some wild claim that has no basis in fact, and then acts like his stupidity and dishonesty is no big deal. Very Trumpian--very christian crazy as well.

Reactions: 4 people
You're missing a key point: Southern states are a CONSERVATIVE legacy. Southern Democrats were right wingers until the 1960s/70s and then, because of Civil Rights and other issues, conservative pols switched to the GOP. It's not the party that counts, it's the philosophy. And the conservative philosophy has left the South poor and backward...still.

The entire country was more "conservative" during that period. You're trying to own both sides of the argument. For your argument to stand, the Republican party would need to not have existed.

Nearly half of ten states with the highest per capita poverty are "liberal", with California having the highest poverty rate. "Red" states are far more fiscally solvent than "blue" states.

Regardless of blue-dog, yellow-dog, or mangy-dog, they were DEMOCRATS. The party was happy to have them and still would if Dems had held those states. You can't retroactively disavow them in 2017 for a definition of liberal that suits your purpose.

Last edited:
Democrats controlled the state legislature and most public offices for two centuries until 2011. In fact, to find another state so dominated by Democrats, you'd have to look at the rest of Southern states similarly run by Dems from at least the Civil War until 2010. It was total control until those populations thought "about maybe doing something differently".

In addition, those states have the highest percentages of blacks and Hispanics, the most difficult minority populations to bring forward educationally and economically. It is why the South has considerably higher rates of crime, and impacts obesity, too.

The current state of Southern states are a Democrat legacy. It might take Republicans more than six years to turn around perhaps an average of 150 years of negligent, Democratic governance in those states.

Don't tell the truth.... you'll be labeled a racist bigot white nationalist supremacist

He is exactly like any radical religious zealot. I don't care for the type, no matter their country or religion.

Moore wants to institute a religious test for a lot of things, all of which are centered on the central question he would ask himself, "Do I agree with this based on my religious beliefs?"

He's a very dangerous man, representing a very dangerous philosophy.

You're missing a key point: Southern states are a CONSERVATIVE legacy. Southern Democrats were right wingers until the 1960s/70s and then, because of Civil Rights and other issues, conservative pols switched to the GOP. It's not the party that counts, it's the philosophy. And the conservative philosophy has left the South poor and backward...still.

This did not happen. It's just a story democrats have concocted to run away from their history rooted in racism and bigotry.

Moore scares you leftists. We get it. There will be more to come. Enjoy.

with a brain, since he makes irrational comments. I guess you don't have a brain. He's a crackpot and everybody knows it. It's one thing to be a conservative or Republican, but quite another to makes absolutely stupid, irrational comments--but that is standard with many of America's religious freaks.

Oh, he wants to lower taxes and regulations. Well, I'll be damned--That's all Republicans have been warbling about for 50 years. It's the biggest cliche in politics. The Republican party if chock full of freaks and morons.

This did not happen. It's just a story democrats have concocted to run away from their history rooted in racism and bigotry.

Everybody acknowledges that Southern Democrats were big racists in the 1950s and 1960s. Those people who were racists and bigots became Republicans. That is why the Republican party is what it is today--racist and associated with the wealthy and big business--and the Democrats work to help minorities and the common man. Nobody's running from anything.

VN Store

Back