Missouri's SEC campaign

SMU and Houston don't expand the Big 12 TV footprint

Plus, Texas won't want to compete with more Texas schools in recruiting

So, the SEC gets two of the four AAU universities that the Big 12 currently has, and WVU tops the list of replacements?

So, the SEC gets two of the four AAU universities that the Big 12 currently has, and WVU tops the list of replacements?

And then a Big 12 official says that WVU is an upgrade over Mizzou. Laughable
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I'd much rather have WVU in the SEC than Missouri.

do-not-want-dog.jpg

Reactions: 1 person
I'm amused how often the AAU thing has been brought up here, and how WVU gets ripped for its academics.

Let's be honest: when it comes to sports, very few fans really care about the academics of the schools. If we did, there would be a lot more Vandy fans here.

Academic standards just gets thrown out there when it's a convenient argument.

I'm amused how often the AAU thing has been brought up here, and how WVU gets ripped for its academics.

Let's be honest: when it comes to sports, very few fans really care about the academics of the schools. If we did, there would be a lot more Vandy fans here.

Academic standards just gets thrown out there when it's a convenient argument.

That or because its the presidents and chancellors decisions in the matter, not those of average Joe bama-can-beat-the-worst-NFL-team fan

It's a big deal to the member schools, especially with the joke status previously garnered over the last decade or two (with regards to other institution comments towards conference member institutions)
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Rumblings in the press today that Mizzou to SEC could happen as soon as today.

ESPN (TV) reporting that if/when it happens, Mizzou will definitely be in the SEC-East, which of course is to preserve the great UA/UT rivalry.

Btw: UT/UA game had highest ESPN ratings

Not doubting you but do you have a link to ESPN reporting that Mizzou will go to the east?

so thoughts on anything reported from said meeting?

We are still going to leave. But it did not happen today. I can not give you a legitimate reason as to why we didnt but this is way too far along to back out. Should happen in a matter of days.

Deaton wishes the Big 12 "the best, and all of that"

COLUMBIA, MO. - On Friday, Missouri took further audacious steps to set up a departure from the Big 12 to the Southeastern Conference when the system Board of Curators authorized chancellor Brady Deaton to take action and negotiate contracts regarding conference alignment and Deaton leaped so far out on a limb as to acknowledge an exchange of information with the SEC.

With SEC-bound Texas A&M next up on MU's football schedule and a Big 12 Board of Directors meeting scheduled Monday in Dallas, the timing seemed right for the next logical step:

For Deaton to proclaim at least a conditional withdrawal from the Big 12.

But following the Big 12 meeting, there was only this statement from the Big 12:

"In a regularly-scheduled meeting today at an undisclosed Dallas area location, the Big 12 Conference Board of Directors reaffirmed previous action to execute institutional grants of Tier 1 (over-the-air) and Tier 2 (cable) television rights to the Conference.

"The Board also discussed a wide range of topics, including NCAA legislation, the Bowl Championship Series, and exploration of a conference-dedicated TV network. Additionally, a strong desire for the University of Missouri to maintain its Big 12 affiliation was expressed."

The desire for MU to stay didn't seem reciprocated, though.

At Columbia Regional Airport late Monday, Deaton told KOMU TV in Columbia that there are "no delays here at all. There are some very specific things that have to be addressed, and we are addressing those."

He declined to elaborate on specifics, but added, "It's the kind of thing you can't rush. I know fans get impatient. Let me say, I'm very sympathetic, but what I hope they will understand is that it's not a set of issue that one can press a button and be done with it."

He added that the Big 12 is "making some of the right moves, now, that are necessary for the Big 12 to do, and I wish them the best and all of that. So we'll see where that goes."

As for the content of the meeting, perhaps the most apt words came from Twitter sensation Fake Dan Beebe, as in the former Big 12 commissioner who recently resigned:

"THEY'RE DISCUSSING A BIG 12 NETWORK NOW????!?!?"

Perhaps, but apparently not one that would include all 10 schools currently remaining in the lineup, including Texas Christian in place of A&M next year. Texas is not going to give up its Longhorn Network, for starters.

But it's believed there was discussion of bundling the third-tier rights of most of the other schools for equal distribution.

It's not known how that point came about during the meeting, but a source familiar with the dynamics of the conference's last attempts to persuade A&M to stay believed it was likely the meeting included a similar basic question of MU.

What will it take for you to stay?

It's possible the discussion then turned in the direction of third-tier rights, which may or may not have constituted an entirely fresh look at the matter.

Whatever the case, it's highly unlikely that's a game-changer for MU, which by all appearances already has checked out.

Although Deaton said last week there would "continue to be no unnecessary or inappropriate delays" in the decision-making, he also has called the decision a "weighty" one and won't be hasty just to get it out of the way.

Uncertainty about the future of the Big 12 compelled MU to gird itself for the future by considering alternatives, and the SEC has given every indication behind the scenes that it would accept a Missouri application if all potential legal entanglements are removed.

It's not known whether such concerns would include a clash over the timing of MU's departure, which Big 12 interim commissioner Chuck Neinas has said won't be for next year.

That was likely a strategic negotiating stance since Big 12 television inventory would fall short of its contractual TV obligations for football if it is only able to field a nine-team conference in 2012.

While the Big 12 figures to restock to 10 and possibly move back to 12 if Mizzou leaves, its prime potential targets - West Virginia, Louisville and Cincinnati - are in the Big East, which is holding Pittsburgh and Syracuse to a 27-month departure time for their next conference, the Atlantic Coast.

So if MU wants to leave for next year but the Big 12 can't replenish itself in time, potential legal conflicts could surface.

Despite Neinas' contention, Deaton said Friday that if MU leaves it would seek to go in 2012.

Deaton stepped down as chairman of the board of the Big 12 earlier this month as he was authorized by the curators to explore options for conference alignment.

When asked Friday what the next step in the process would be, MU board chair Warren Erdman said, "The next step will be resolution of the question."

But perhaps just not as soon as many had expected.

I think they are leaving to join the SEC, just trying to negotiate exit fee and such legal matters. At least that is what I read on tigerboard.

This is what our Chancellor said to Local news.

"There's no delays here at all. There's some very specific things that have to be adressed. We want to address those," said Deaton. "We really can't rush these things. These are things you can't rush. I know fans get impatient I gotta say I'm very sympathetic. What I hope they will understand that this is not a set of issues that one can just press a button and be done with it. There are some issues that have to be adressed on behalf of the University of Missouri and that's what we're doing, looking out for the University of Missouri."

From what I am hearing, we are sorting out differences in our exit plan with the Big XII. They are trying to stick it to us on Exit Fees and they really want us to leave 2013. We obviously want to be in the SEC 2012.

VN Store

Back