Mike Sanford or Mike DeBord... That seems to be the top 2

At the end of the article the poster states......

Maybe this has just been a really long way of saying that lousy assistants can make capable head coaches.

That does not sound like a ringing endorsement for a potential OC.

You all had me curious on debord so I did some research. Someone with more time than myself can make snipets of this for the rest of you but it's a good read and so are the comments. Butch was his OC at central Michigan so everyone saying debord ran a pro style offense isn't correct. Lloyd Carr was the coach. Debord just called the plays. Anyways i trust my coach no matter what. He is busting his tale and sacrificing his time with his family to build back our dreams. I wouldn't care who he brought if he thinks they are the right fit for OUR football team. Go vols!!

On Coaching or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love DeBord | mgoblog

I thought this link was a great read. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Reactions: 1 person
You also have to think about, if we hire Sanford how long does he stay before a HC comes open. Where as Deborg can keep what CBJ started for years to come.

This is a huge fail post. Let's not hire anybody that's going to do so good other teams will want him? I hope he brings in somebody and we have the #1 offensive in the country next year. Then if he leaves, Butch will hire another one just like him. C'mon man.

You also have to think about, if we hire Sanford how long does he stay before a HC comes open. Where as Deborg can keep what CBJ started for years to come.

That shouldn't be a factor. Saban is on his 4th OC since 2007. Hasn't hurt him at all.

I think we end up with DeBord. Sanford has turned down 2 jobs this month alone. Both of which opened the check book up for them. I want to sign him as much as the next guy.

It may not have been about money, but about situation. Vandy is a sinking ship, and he may not of liked CUM

For those of you that want Debord, and keep saying the only reason people don't like him is his age and lack of hair, you do reaLize if he is hired we will be right back out looking for anOther new coach on offense right. Honest do you think cza stays after being overlooked for one of cbjs old buddies that hasn't coached in years.

so then who do we hire, another old buddy of cbj that just another figure head at qbc or wrc.

Sorry but cbj needs to put his ego aside and hire the BEST candidate, not his best bud because he's afraid if he hires the best guy then they will get a few minutes of attention abd he might have to give them some credit if the offense improves

Reactions: 2 people
For those of you that want Debord, and keep saying the only reason people don't like him is his age and lack of hair, you do reaLize if he is hired we will be right back out looking for anOther new coach on offense right. Honest do you think cza stays after being overlooked for one of cbjs old buddies that hasn't coached in years.

so then who do we hire, another old buddy of cbj that just another figure head at qbc or wrc.

Sorry but cbj needs to put his ego aside and hire the BEST candidate, not his best bud because he's afraid if he hires the best guy then they will get a few minutes of attention abd he might have to give them some credit if the offense improves

You need to get some sleep, making up assumptions had to of made you tired.

Reactions: 7 people
Here's why this search is a bit loony. We've got Sanford from Boise State--the school that practically pioneered the spread--and then we've got three-yards and a cloud of dust Mike DeBord, an old-school pro-style guy from the days of Lloyd Carr. You'd be hard-pressed to find two more dissimilar candidates.

Reactions: 3 people
Look at the comments from the other coaches. That's what is important to me. We have to many self proclaimed vol nation head coaches on here that think they know what's best for our team. I follow our only coach. If it happens to be debord. If not it means he found someone even better.

Why the Michigan Offense will Succeed...

While it seems obvious that Sanford is the better candidate, I'm not too worried if it's either of these guys.

Debord has serious questions, but so does Butch's offense, and it looks like we are going to have to see it through. If Debord is hired, it means that Butch is certain that his offense will succeed and he has total confidence in Debord implementing it. Whether he's right or wrong, we'll find out. But that was always going to be the case. The head coach makes these decisions and he has to bear the responsibility for them. Either way, there's a pretty good chance we are upgrading from Bajakian.

Sanford is Coach in Waiting at Boise, he's not going anywhere.

Has that title actually been announced or did you just make that up? I didn't think the NCAA allowed that title anymore. You made it up, right?

"Coach in Waiting" behind a 38 yr old HC who just finished his first year at his alma mater might be the most meaningless title ever, so I'm hoping you didn't make it up. But I'm pretty sure you did.

Mike DeBord has always been called the clubhouse leader, and not many on here are happy about that. As of right now I'm neutral about DeBord, because he hasn't coached in so long. I don't know what DeBord can do, but it seems like we all may know next season.

Then you have the Mike most people want.. Mike Sanford. Sanford is a proven OC a top 10 offense last season at Boise State, and he is a proven commodity. The only thing that makes this seem odd is the fact that he's already turned down Vanderbilt for almost double his current salary, and he's also turned down a raise with this years national championship team OSU. So really how believable is this?? Seems to me like he may be a tough get, but I'm holding out hope for Mike Sanford.. The best Mike haha.

No sir! Nix, Nine! We absolutely CANNOT stand for that here. We HAVE to trust Butch will instead hire his chrony/old HC (not called plays in 7-9 long years), rather than hope for a PROVEN OC. Just cannot expect a guy to be hired based on his......RESUME! So, says Butch, himself.

Butch Jones: 'The fans want you to hire a résumé and all that, but...'

I was all aboard the Butch bandwagon before Debord's name was ever mentioned. But now, if he goes through with this....I'm sharpening my pitchfork and it will be ready, come late November.

No sir! Nix, Nine! We absolutely CANNOT stand for that here. We HAVE to trust Butch will instead hire his chrony/old HC (not called plays in 7-9 long years), rather than hope for a PROVEN OC. Just cannot expect a guy to be hired based on his......RESUME! So, says Butch, himself.

Butch Jones: 'The fans want you to hire a résumé and all that, but...'

I was all aboard the Butch bandwagon before Debord's name was ever mentioned. But now, if he goes through with this....I'm sharpening my pitchfork and it will be ready, come late November.

You sir have surpassed a negavol. You are a negateer.

You stand behind your coach until he is not your coach. Otherwise it's s lack of commitment to your team. This fan base should be pumped with what he has done and will continue to do. If you can't see that he strives to bring us championships and can't support him on whatever decision he makes then you are delusional

Sanford would surprise me. He's been a journeyman early in his career and now running the show as OC at his alma matter. That may be good enough for him at this point. If Debord is coming here...I pray it's in a supporting role and not as OC.

The last coach we got from Boise State was pretty good here.

Why would an OC making a name for himself nationally (Sanford) come here to run Butch's offense?

He will get much more exposure (and thus a better chance at getting a good head coaching opportunity) as the OC at UT in the SEC than he will by coaching in the Rocky Mountains.

VN Store

Back