Mike Sanford or Mike DeBord... That seems to be the top 2

You're misquoting the OP by omitting context. He said Sanford turned down Vandy (and huge bucks), as well as Ohio State (and huge bucks). You're conveniently ignoring the 800-pound Ohio State in his statement. He wasn't comparing us to Vandy, he was comparing us to the combo of those two schools, one SEC the other National Champ. :p The point is, we're SEC, and we're trending really strong toward greatness, but between those two schools he's already turned down, our strong arguments for him to join us are kind of already covered.

He still durned down Vandy. Who cares?

I'd be happy with either.

The more I look into and think about DeBord, the more interesting he gets. Like a Cutcliffe without the Duke gig, waiting to be snatched up.

What? I'll explain.

I've always thought that Michigan and Tennessee were "lost twins" over the past 25 years: Michigan NC in '97 and Tennessee in '98 ... the almost eerie parallel tracks of Carr and Fulmer's head coaching careers, particularly toward the end ... the down years since those iconic coaches left ... the experimentation with flashy but flawed coaches (Kiffin, Rodriguez).

And the resemblance extends even to the two NC OCs, David Cutcliffe and Mike DeBord. Both older than average, not flashy at all to look at, brilliant in Xs and Os and (according to reports) surprisingly effective on the recruiting trail. Both left their NC teams for HC jobs elsewhere (Cutcliffe to Ole Miss, '99 to '04, DeBord to CMU '00 to '03) only to return "home" again to resume OC duties. The big difference in their paths came in 2008: DeBord swung for the home run to be Carr's successor at Michigan, and missed; Cutcliffe swung for a solid double (ACC basement dwelling Duke) instead, and made it. And that has made all the difference since.

Tell me, if Cutcliffe were looking for the OC job today, would you hire him? Assuming he knew enough to carry our offense without big change, I certainly would. And more and more, that's how I'm coming to see DeBord. I know he knows how spread offenses work, and otherwise I see David Cutcliffe in him...but maybe hungrier, because he's been on the outside looking in for a couple of years. Hungry is also good.

Anyway, I had to get that off my chest, share the epiphany that took me from early dismay at DeBord's name to what is now comfort, maybe even eagerness.

We could most certainly do worse.

I'd be happy with either of these gentlemen.

Now this is a great post!

You're misquoting the OP by omitting context. He said Sanford turned down Vandy (and huge bucks), as well as Ohio State (and huge bucks). You're conveniently ignoring the 800-pound Ohio State in his statement. He wasn't comparing us to Vandy, he was comparing us to the combo of those two schools, one SEC the other National Champ. :p The point is, we're SEC, and we're trending really strong toward greatness, but between those two schools he's already turned down, our strong arguments for him to join us are kind of already covered.

Thanks for having my back there.. Now I don't have to explain my post further lol. :)

It's really easy to see why Sanford turned down Vandy. It doesn't take a genius to see Mason is already on the hot seat, and could easily be gone after next season. That would be a very high risk job for him to take. I cant figure out why he turned down Ohio State for their OC position though. He must really love his alma mater is all I can figure. He may have his eyes set on being head coach there one day in the near future. I don't believe we realistically have a shot at hiring Sanford considering all that we know about his previous/current offers.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Vandy certain failure. OSU OC following a NC year, no where to go but down, or watch the credit be placed on "the system" and your contribution minimized. Sanford even if he does not come our way knows a lose lose situation when he sees it.

Reactions: 4 people
It's really easy to see why Sanford turned down Vandy. It doesn't take a genius to see Mason is already on the hot seat, and could easily be gone after next season. That would be a very high risk job for him to take.....

...OSU OC following a NC year, no where to go but down, or watch the credit be placed on "the system" and your contribution minimized. Sanford even if he does not come our way knows a lose lose situation when he sees it.

Great insights both of you. If you're right, and it certainly sounds like you both might be inside his head, that does leave the door open (slightly) for Sanford to consider a Vols gig more seriously. Time will tell.

Vandy certain failure. OSU OC following a NC year, no where to go but down, or watch the credit be placed on "the system" and your contribution minimized. Sanford even if he does not come our way knows a lose lose situation when he sees it.

I 100% agree! Both of those jobs have to much Negative. However, you can see UT has plenty of room to climb and the tallent to make it happen. There is far more upside with our job.

not to sound like a douche but I'd like someone who could come in and contribute to the offense instead of being a paid figure head. Hell if they want someone to come in and just be paid to be in the position and not contribute Ill send in my resume.

Sanford would surprise me. He's been a journeyman early in his career and now running the show as OC at his alma matter. That may be good enough for him at this point. If Debord is coming here...I pray it's in a supporting role and not as OC.

Just remember, we had a Coordinator already from Boise St. that left after a couple of years from home sickness...don't need that again in the heat of rebuilding.:thumbsup:

Just remember, we had a Coordinator already from Boise St. that left after a couple of years from home sickness...don't need that again in the heat of rebuilding.:thumbsup:

You cant be ruling out the Dooley factor can you?..

LOL. Another one who thinks the OC doesn't matter. :eek:lol:

Umm...that's not the point. Butch has made it clear that the new OC will run his system, thus why would an OC who has made a name for himself outside of the Butch coaching tree come to run his offense? Butch isn't an offensive genius per se, his system is predicated on execution and talent...he's not necessarily out-scheming anyone. Further, the original point was a question, not a statement, but thanks for clarifying.

Reactions: 2 people
Great insights both of you. If you're right, and it certainly sounds like you both might be inside his head, that does leave the door open (slightly) for Sanford to consider a Vols gig more seriously. Time will tell.

Haha I'm not sure and cant tell if you're being a smarta$$ or what.

Oh alright, well thanks. I wasn't sure because of the "inside his head" part of your comment.

Oh, all I meant by that was that it seemed you were doing a really good job of thinking the way he would be thinking, and sharing it with us.

You also have to think about, if we hire Sanford how long does he stay before a HC comes open. Where as Deborg can keep what CBJ started for years to come.

VN Store

Back