Mike Houston??? All over twitter that this could be the next HC

We've heard this before...

Houston is 10x the coach BJ is...Houston won at The Citadel--a military school--that was "down" when he took over. Not saying he should get the UT job, but the guy can actually coach, instead of just spitting cliches.

Reactions: 2 people
Houston is a great coach. He won at The Citadel. Won everywhere he's been. He'll get a real job soon. Won't excite UT fans initially, but I think he'd actually be a great hire if we are not getting a "big name"

The problem is recruiting and proven competitive ability.

He's won at that level but he has never coached or won at the SEC level. He has a better resume than Jones... but should be considered for a coordinator job, not a HC job. Maybe you hire Gruden or someone at that level and have this guy as your coach in waiting.

This would be a very risky hire.

Reactions: 2 people
We've heard this before...

With all respect for you, there's not much comparison between then two. Jones was the beneficiary of two weak schedules at Cincy. Nothing more. Had his second two schedules at Cincy been as tough as the first one... he never coaches a P-5 team and would have been fired by Cincy.

He does seem like a sound coach but I would prefer someone who has been a HC at a P5 school. This would be a major gamble.

Huge gamble is right. Currie isn't stupid. He knows how this plays out if he gets this wrong. Then again, the only thing worse than making a bad hire is making an expensive bad hire. He might be hedging his bets here. No "sure thing" on the table for this job. Gawd....I hate saying this but it might be in his best interests to go with a lower priced up and comer.

Jim Tressel won national titles at Div II Youngstown State before going to OSU. Could do worse.

The problem is we are coming off of a decade of non-competitiveness in our conference. Making a bargain hire and hoping that the coach replicate <insert non-P5 conference> success in the SEC is how we got into this mess in the first place.

And they still play better football than UVA

georgia tech last Saturday. The Cavs aren't terribly good but they've got a pretty good coach, I think. They will go bowling this year, for what's that worth--and these days, with 40 bowls or whatever the number, it's not worth much.

You can't hire a Div. 2 coach. It would be embarrassing. It seems to me that it is the same small number of schools in contention for the FCS championship every year.

And fiery pre-game or halftime speeches are vastly overrated. The emotion disappears pretty quickly and then it comes down to how much talent do you have and do you execute--which has little to do with emotion. Motivation is always helpful, but x's and o's win football games.

Reactions: 1 person
georgia tech last Saturday. The Cavs aren't terribly good but they've got a pretty good coach, I think. They will go bowling this year, for what's that worth--and these days, with 40 bowls or whatever the number, it's not worth much.

You can't hire a Div. 2 coach. It would be embarrassing. It seems to me that it is the same small number of schools in contention for the FCS championship every year.

And fiery pre-game or halftime speeches are vastly overrated. The emotion disappears pretty quickly and then it comes down to how much talent do you have and do you execute--which has little to do with emotion. Motivation is always helpful, but x's and o's win football games.

Same for FBS

The problem is we are coming off of a decade of non-competitiveness in our conference. Making a bargain hire and hoping that the coach replicate <insert non-P5 conference> success in the SEC is how we got into this mess in the first place.

a lot of OSU's success is that the buckeyes don't have much recruiting competition in the Midwest. The Big 10 is mostly crap, and even Michigan has struggled for quite a long time. It's not like trying to recruit a blue-chip in the Southeast when 10 big-time programs are after him.

Graham Clark has a long and storied history as a winning coach and provides great quotes for the press conferences that will bring in the recruits.

5 one loss seasons in 13 years.

Hire him.

Last edited:
Nothing on a Google. Says he's 19-1 at JMU. Didn't play in the band but went to a small school. Up and comer.

... and listen to endless banter from a contingent here on VN about how $4 million is way too much money. They know Billy Bob at the rec center who won the county pee wee championship that would do it for $50 K and a six pack.

:lolabove::lolabove::lolabove::lolabove:

This post reminds me of the callers that call into the 99.1 shows and start their call with, "I help coach my son's 7-8 year old team and ......."

FCS success does not translate to the SEC. This would be a middle finger to the fans. I don't care if he is 19-1. This would be a horrible hire.

I think you are half right. It could actually be a great hire. But it would require a level of support Tennessee has never thought practical in relation to assistant coach salaries and support staff. No matter who they hire, we need it if we are going to compete with elite programs.

But the middle finger to a certain segment of the fan base? You know, those fans who imagine a framed item on their wall is the title to the Tennessee sports programs. Well, most of those people are going to feel that way even if they hire who they want. So, if Butch is gone, I think it likely this might be the selection. But while he is giving the opinionated the finger, he needs to REALLY give them the finger by making sure whoever he hires succeeds.

How foolish would we look if we offered and he turns us down????

I'm the last guy to call for heads to roll, but if the public gets word on who is being considered and/or offered, I'm down with firing Currie on the grounds that he's a confirmed dumbass.

We better have done all our due diligence, made all our contacts and have a coach signed, sealed and ready to be introduced the day after Butch is terminated....if not the same day. No way I let any info out and risk turning this into a circus....again.

With all respect for you, there's not much comparison between then two. Jones was the beneficiary of two weak schedules at Cincy. Nothing more. Had his second two schedules at Cincy been as tough as the first one... he never coaches a P-5 team and would have been fired by Cincy.

Looking at JMU's 2016 regular season wins...

Moorehead State: 4-7
Central Connecticut: 2-9
Maine: 6-5
Delaware: 4-7
William & Mary: 5-6
New Hampshire: 8-5
Rhode Island: 2-9
Richmond: 10-4
Villanova: 9-4
Elon: 2-9

Only four opponents had winning seasons. Granted he did win out against better competition in the FCS playoffs, but he still benefited from terrible regular season opponents the same way Butch did at Cincinnati.

Their 2017 season is shaping up the same way as well.

I'm sure this guy is a good football coach but if the UTAD goes this route it's just another coat of:
turd.jpg

Reactions: 3 people
Looking at JMU's 2016 regular season wins...

Moorehead State: 4-7
Central Connecticut: 2-9
Maine: 6-5
Delaware: 4-7
William & Mary: 5-6
New Hampshire: 8-5
Rhode Island: 2-9
Richmond: 10-4
Villanova: 9-4
Elon: 2-9

Only four opponents had winning seasons. Granted he did win out against better competition in the FCS playoffs, but he still benefited from terrible regular season opponents the same way Butch did at Cincinnati.
But you really can't just look at the regular season wins when judging an FCS team. That playoff adds quality opponents AND you have to beat them in consecutive weeks.

In Jones' two "championship" years, his best wins were against 8-5 Syracuse in '12 and 8-5 NCSU in '11.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back