Marvel Cinematic Universe

It was fun, and is bringing the MCU to a different audience. As a father, its pretty simple to realize these movies arent geared toward adult viewing. I dont care about Disney's this and that. Its enjoyable to me and my family, until its not.

My children are young. Seeing MCU through their eyes is fun. Further, it has generated interest (and family interaction) in puzzles, books, games (legos) that otherwise would have never enjoyed.

So, i'm so sorry for your loss re: Brie Larson's 'quasi hotness'. That's ridiculous.

Is it the best MCU movie ever, no. Id put it in middle to lower tier. Did it move the story forward? Probably not.

Marvel needs to consider how it will take ALL THESE new storylines and whittle it down for the KD storyline. One mistake theyve made is over saturation. I think one, or two movies a year. With two, tops MCU shows.

Right now it feels like its all over the place. You go from Quantamania to Loki. Back to Secret Wars, then Marvels...throw in Celestials, then Echo. Really does feel like its just about the money.
I've always thought she was smoking hot. And she still looks good in this movie..but there was just something off about her. I dont know..she just looked kind of sickly.

And I have nothing against the movie in regards for who it was marketed too..just ain't my cup a tea. It would have to been rated R, a hard R, to get me on board.

I've always thought she was smoking hot. And she still looks good in this movie..but there was just something off about her. I dont know..she just looked kind of sickly.

And I have nothing against the movie in regards for who it was marketed too..just ain't my cup a tea. It would have to been rated R, a hard R, to get me on board.
Rating a kid's movie based on perceived hotness of the actress.

IMG_5223.gif

The Marvels is ok but I'm ready for them to move on from the over-reliance on comedy and wackiness. The singing part was just....a miss. I actually like Ms Marvel more than Captain Marvel, she's a more interesting character. Captain Marvel is the MCU's Superman and I find really overpowered characters to be kinda boring. Plus it makes her battles kind of make no sense because they have to nerf her for no reaosn to make the fight seem worth it. I mean the CM they set up in past movies should have wiped the floor with this baddie. But that's a bigger superhero movie problem, they are never consistent with powers.

I'm looking more forward to the Echo/Daredevil street level stuff than I am the "epic" space/galaxy stuff. Also happy at the word that the next Spider-Man trilogy will fit with the Daredevil stuff and make him more of the "Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man".

The Marvels is ok but I'm ready for them to move on from the over-reliance on comedy and wackiness. The singing part was just....a miss. I actually like Ms Marvel more than Captain Marvel, she's a more interesting character. Captain Marvel is the MCU's Superman and I find really overpowered characters to be kinda boring. Plus it makes her battles kind of make no sense because they have to nerf her for no reaosn to make the fight seem worth it. I mean the CM they set up in past movies should have wiped the floor with this baddie. But that's a bigger superhero movie problem, they are never consistent with powers.

I'm looking more forward to the Echo/Daredevil street level stuff than I am the "epic" space/galaxy stuff. Also happy at the word that the next Spider-Man trilogy will fit with the Daredevil stuff and make him more of the "Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man".
My biggest complaint about the MCU Spider-Man is they made him Iron Boy instead of letting him be Spider-Man. I enjoyed the movies for what they were and how they fit into the larger MCU but it’s not how I think SM works best.

I get what you're saying about something off with her look. I watched it last night, and literally was thinking the same thing, like she looked scrawny or something. I was wondering if it was just a weight loss thing, or if she was maybe going through something while filming.

Reactions: FLVOL_79
It was fun, and is bringing the MCU to a different audience. As a father, its pretty simple to realize these movies arent geared toward adult viewing. I dont care about Disney's this and that. Its enjoyable to me and my family, until its not.

My children are young. Seeing MCU through their eyes is fun. Further, it has generated interest (and family interaction) in puzzles, books, games (legos) that otherwise would have never enjoyed.

So, i'm so sorry for your loss re: Brie Larson's 'quasi hotness'. That's ridiculous.

Is it the best MCU movie ever, no. Id put it in middle to lower tier. Did it move the story forward? Probably not.

Marvel needs to consider how it will take ALL THESE new storylines and whittle it down for the KD storyline. One mistake theyve made is over saturation. I think one, or two movies a year. With two, tops MCU shows.

Right now it feels like its all over the place. You go from Quantamania to Loki. Back to Secret Wars, then Marvels...throw in Celestials, then Echo. Really does feel like its just about the money.
Definitely agree with the "all over the place ". I'm wondering with each movie, or show, how they're going to tie any of this together.

Definitely agree with the "all over the place ". I'm wondering with each movie, or show, how they're going to tie any of this together.
Kang arc is perfect. But Disney got too fancy with its paint brush. Admittedly brought in characters that are much less interesting than IW arc. Meanwhile, developed very interesting storylines ie Loki series that moved ball forward, as well the Mummy Batman guy...and left us hanging. All while we get Secret Wars. Its just watering things down for me.

Reactions: joevol33
As far as the movie, meh. It was okay, I get marvel wants to make this stuff entertaining, but it feels like a sabotage job with all the silliness. I know they're superhero movies, and not real, but part of the greatness of the first phase movies was they felt real. (Hopefully that's understandable). The singing planet, herd of cats eating people, and swapping powers just didn't get me emotionally invested. While it seems it's geared towards a younger audience, older fans want to feel like it's for them also. I'd like to see it get away from the silly, the last thor could have been epic with the villain, but it was too silly. My best part of the marvels was ms. Marvel going to see Kate bishop at the end. I really liked her character. Kinda excited about where they'll go with the young avengers.

Reactions: vols 30
As far as the movie, meh. It was okay, I get marvel wants to make this stuff entertaining, but it feels like a sabotage job with all the silliness. I know they're superhero movies, and not real, but part of the greatness of the first phase movies was they felt real. (Hopefully that's understandable). The singing planet, herd of cats eating people, and swapping powers just didn't get me emotionally invested. While it seems it's geared towards a younger audience, older fans want to feel like it's for them also. I'd like to see it get away from the silly, the last thor could have been epic with the villain, but it was too silly. My best part of the marvels was ms. Marvel going to see Kate bishop at the end. I really liked her character. Kinda excited about where they'll go with the young avengers.

You're right about gearing towards the younger audience, but that feels like a miss imo. Do very young adults( under 30) and kids care about Marvel or DC? I don't think they do for the most part. I have 3 kids, 24, 22, and 21 and they don't care anything about them and I'm pretty sure none of their friends do. They know about Superman, Batman, Spiderman, buy don't care enough to watch a movie or TV show.

And it's just the superhero stuff, they love Star Wars movies and shows.

Marvel needs to realize who their core audience is, and cater towards them. People 30 and older. I think DC gets this better than Marvel

Reactions: joevol33
You're right about gearing towards the younger audience, but that feels like a miss imo. Do very young adults( under 30) and kids care about Marvel or DC? I don't think they do for the most part. I have 3 kids, 24, 22, and 21 and they don't care anything about them and I'm pretty sure none of their friends do. They know about Superman, Batman, Spiderman, buy don't care enough to watch a movie or TV show.

And it's just the superhero stuff, they love Star Wars movies and shows.

Marvel needs to realize who their core audience is, and cater towards them. People 30 and older. I think DC gets this better than Marvel
My kids LOVE Marvel (granted I have been reading them comics since they were little). My teenage nephews do as well. One of them got an Avengers tattoo.

I think catering only to 30+ year old dudes is a losing model in the long run. That is what the comics started doing about 20 years ago and it’s just been a steady bleed off of fans as they leave and new ones don’t come in.

You have to keep finding the next generation of fans.

And DC has just been a string of flops pretty much since BvS (the one big exception is the first WW) to the point they are just rebooting the whole thing.

Last edited:
I get what you're saying about something off with her look. I watched it last night, and literally was thinking the same thing, like she looked scrawny or something. I was wondering if it was just a weight loss thing, or if she was maybe going through something while filming.
Yeah.. I finished the movie and I think its just that she shed a few pounds maybe, which she didnt need to. Shes still hot, just not as hot as I remember her in Captain Marvel. I mean, I wouldnt say no of course..

edit - I'm extremely shallow and base my movie enjoyment on the amount of T&A, swearing, and violence.

Kind of a weird way to announce the Fantastic Four cast.

Kind of a weird way to announce the Fantastic Four cast.

Note the retro “Marvel Studios” design. Hint toward being set in the 60s?

In regards to The Marvels, the wife and I watched it this weekend. Fun movie I suppose.

But I genuinely don't understand what they are doing with these little X-men teasers. It makes no sense. Clearly they are going to have to reboot them, so why do they keep dropping in characters from the early 2000's X-men movies?

Those kind of got usurped anyways by the First Class stuff. Of course we even got a dabble of that with Quicksilver in WandaVision.

Start introducing us to who the X-men are actually going to be. Stop with the "nods" to the older franchise.

In regards to The Marvels, the wife and I watched it this weekend. Fun movie I suppose.

But I genuinely don't understand what they are doing with these little X-men teasers. It makes no sense. Clearly they are going to have to reboot them, so why do they keep dropping in characters from the early 2000's X-men movies?

Those kind of got usurped anyways by the First Class stuff. Of course we even got a dabble of that with Quicksilver in WandaVision.

Start introducing us to who the X-men are actually going to be. Stop with the "nods" to the older franchise.
Its all about parallel worlds, variants, and multiversal wars.

Finally watched The Marvels and thought it was pretty a fun movie. Formuliac? Sure but that’s like 95% of Superhero movies. It was light but didn’t get as silly as Love and Thunder.

I thought the 3 main characters had great chemistry. Kamala kept it grounded and I enjoyed her fangirling over Carol. The actress is a fan at heart and it came across very genuine. The singing planet and the herd of kittens reminded me of lighter Star Trek episodes. The villain was a little dry. She was the weakest link.

As far as post Endgame movies I would put it in the upper half. I liked it more than the first Capt M actually.

As for those who whine about “wokeness” or “MSheU”, you clearly didn’t watch the movie. There wasn’t a shred overt wokeism, feminism, or even just girl-power. If you replaced the characters with men the movie would play out pretty much exactly the same… maybe a little less hugging.

Finally watched The Marvels and thought it was pretty a fun movie. Formuliac? Sure but that’s like 95% of Superhero movies. It was light but didn’t get as silly as Love and Thunder.

I thought the 3 main characters had great chemistry. Kamala kept it grounded and I enjoyed her fangirling over Carol. The actress is a fan at heart and it came across very genuine. The singing planet and the herd of kittens reminded me of lighter Star Trek episodes. The villain was a little dry. She was the weakest link.

As far as post Endgame movies I would put it in the upper half. I liked it more than the first Capt M actually.

As for those who whine about “wokeness” or “MSheU”, you clearly didn’t watch the movie. There wasn’t a shred overt wokeism, feminism, or even just girl-power. If you replaced the characters with men the movie would play out pretty much exactly the same… maybe a little less hugging.
I have no problem with the female stuff. I have 3 daughters, love them having the "heroes" like I did. That said, I just didn't like the movie too much. It was okay, but nothing I'd watch again. While I'm at it, I'm liking echo more than I did season 2 of Loki 👀🤣.

Reactions: davethevol
Was bored last night and decided to watch The Marvel's.

I have to say it was better than I was expecting. The only thing I rolled my eyes for was the singing planet and fast forward through some of that.

Overall I give it a 4/5 and actually enjoyed it. The herding cats was funny. Not sure what to make of the mid credits scene or if that will go anywhere.

Was bored last night and decided to watch The Marvel's.

I have to say it was better than I was expecting. The only thing I rolled my eyes for was the singing planet and fast forward through some of that.

Overall I give it a 4/5 and actually enjoyed it. The herding cats was funny. Not sure what to make of the mid credits scene or if that will go anywhere.
Lol ive heard criticisms that Brie Larson lost too much weight. I dont have a dog in that hunt other than to say, that was NOT my takeaway.

VN Store

Back