Malpractice use of TOs

Is that your biggest worry about this game? Time outs?

Not the biggest worry but by far the easier worry to fix. 99 coaches out of 100 call a TO during the game deciding run last night. If it slows or stops the run like Barnes did against etsu we might just win the game.

The we suck and can't expect to win angle isn't going to fly. That was a winnable game last night. We led in the 2nd half by 9. Easy to see winning was very possible last night

So he had nothing to do with the lead but everything to do with the loss? :unsure:

So he had nothing to do with the lead but everything to do with the loss? :unsure:

Barnes had a great game plan. Very happy with the plan of using extended pressure and trapping out of it. Very perplexed as to why we went away from that plan in the 2nd half.

Reactions: 1 person
Phil Jackson held onto his TO, I think that worked for his teams?

You realize in the NBA the team calling a TO gets to take the ball out at mid court?

Much much more reason to hold on TOs in the nba.

Barnes doesn't call TOs in the last possession of games as evidenced against Ga tech which I agreed with.

We don't pressure the inbounds to get Turnovers so saving a TO for that reason isn't needed as well. Pearl saved TOs for this reason and rightfully so but he also would use TOs to slow runs as well.

We simply don't use TOs in the last minute of games and that's fine as long we use them smartly before the end of games

Last edited:
he might keep us out of probation, and that is good, but he really seems to be an average game time coach.....one that is so average superior talent cannot overcome it(TEXAS)...Coaches come into the league and make a difference, Coach Barnes came into this league and cannot figure how to hold a lead...........Go Big Orange, the real one

Calling TOs doesn't change anything... it just drags it out. As long as your players can hear the instructions and are following them, what's the point of calling them?

Yeah...actually the idea is to break a team's momentum when they're kicking your butt. The coach is trying anything to get the other team out of their scoring rhythm. Of course it can also give your team a breather...:)...:peace2:

GO VOLS!

Yeah...actually the idea is to break a team's momentum when they're kicking your butt. The coach is trying anything to get the other team out of their scoring rhythm. Of course it can also give your team a breather...:)...:peace2:

GO VOLS!

But if you have a smaller lineup the other team is probably in more need of a breather.

Love the thread, Bruin. Stirred up he hornets' nest. lol.

We accepted this stuff with Butch in football, mouthed off about it, a lot of the same posters defended him, and then Butch learned from it and got better when the national attention was on it. But that was the third season. He could do no wrong according to most until then. They all jumped in with the brick by brick, it's a process, etc.

CRB is an old dog. Don't know if he will change or not. TO's have been used to stop momentum of opponents by the best as well as mediocre coaches since the game began. To deny it is just silly. Just like Butch was though, I don't think CRB is totally focused on winning games this season. I think he is developing the underclassmen to win games in future seasons and chooses to teach them lessons at times by his decisions. If he is an analytics guy like Butch he may even have a data based reason for it. Don't know if that is the case or not. JMO and FWIW. I am not that kind of guy and did not operate that way in business. I let guys/gals make smaller mistakes that did not harm the company or their careers in the long term. But when it came down to the win, you did everything necessary. Which has been my biggest issue with Butch as you know. Which is also why I really loved the Shoop hire. Butch stepped that direction for once to get much better with that hire and Shoop operates that way in his system. Remains to be seen if CRB will.

so barnes told moore to shoot 25 ft shot. he doesnt have a team of good players. he has a few of them and you have wannabes ( moore, reese, mostella) can't win we we are selfish

Love the thread, Bruin. Stirred up he hornets' nest. lol.

We accepted this stuff with Butch in football, mouthed off about it, a lot of the same posters defended him, and then Butch learned from it and got better when the national attention was on it. But that was the third season. He could do no wrong according to most until then. They all jumped in with the brick by brick, it's a process, etc.

CRB is an old dog. Don't know if he will change or not. TO's have been used to stop momentum of opponents by the best as well as mediocre coaches since the game began. To deny it is just silly. Just like Butch was though, I don't think CRB is totally focused on winning games this season. I think he is developing the underclassmen to win games in future seasons and chooses to teach them lessons at times by his decisions. If he is an analytics guy like Butch he may even have a data based reason for it. Don't know if that is the case or not. JMO and FWIW. I am not that kind of guy and did not operate that way in business. I let guys/gals make smaller mistakes that did not harm the company or their careers in the long term. But when it came down to the win, you did everything necessary. Which has been my biggest issue with Butch as you know. Which is also why I really loved the Shoop hire. Butch stepped that direction for once to get much better with that hire and Shoop operates that way in his system. Remains to be seen if CRB will.

It wasn't threads or posters on this board that jostled Butch into hiring Shoop. It was results on the field. Coach Barnes has been doing it his way for a LONG TIME with a steady level of success. I wouldn't hold my breath thinking that Bruin whining about his TO strategy on a message board, is going to get him to reinvent himself. We hired this guy because we need this guy and the way he does things. Live with it or don't, just don't delude yourself into thinking we're a factor.

so barnes told moore to shoot 25 ft shot. he doesnt have a team of good players. he has a few of them and you have wannabes ( moore, reese, mostella) can't win we we are selfish

lol

Well a TO would allowed Barnes to draw up a play for a better shot instead of allowing moore to throw up a prayer early in the shot clock.

That is if Barnes actually draws up plays at all.

Coaches with his winning percentage and longevity probably have never contemplated drawing up plays...got through it without laughing. :)

Set plays that a coach calls during a dead ball are a very important skill for a good gameday coach. All the great ones have a real feel for what plays to call/draw up during dead balls.

This is far far far from a strength for Barnes

So how's he survived? He has you know. :)

Number 1 Recruiting and winning with more talent.

He's a good developer of individual skills as well it seems.

Also a good game planner.

The only thing missing is being able to pull the right strings in crutch time and that seems to be the reason his teams have underachieved when it counts the most come tourney time.

You have to be a good coach to do it for a long time...we needed a good coach.

lol

Well a TO would allowed Barnes to draw up a play for a better shot instead of allowing moore to throw up a prayer early in the shot clock.

That is if Barnes actually draws up plays at all.

Moore is a senior; if he thinks that's a good shot at this point in his college career, that's on him.

I know you can't stand Barnes, but give me an effin' break. Did you want him to run out on the court and physically stop Moore from shooting?

Did you want him to run out on the court and physically stop Moore from shooting?

Lol

You realize the thread you are in?

That's the exact possession it was obvious to me that a TO was needed.

We don't call one and moore shoots a very low % shot followed by a 3pt make by Georgia and the game was over at that point.

Lol

You realize the thread you are in?

That's the exact possession it was obvious to me that a TO was needed.

We don't call one and moore shoots a very low % shot followed by a 3pt make by Georgia and the game was over at that point.

Nice that you ignored the first part of my post. I don't GAF what thread it is, it's a valid point.

Again, I'm not going to let a senior player get off that easy on a stupid decision. Does he need a TO every time they come down the court to make sure he doesn't do something stupid?

We didn't hire Barnes to evolve. We hired him because we were bleeding hiring coaches with potential. We hired him for what he has already brought to the table.

Nice that you ignored the first part of my post. I don't GAF what thread it is, it's a valid point.

Again, I'm not going to let a senior player get off that easy on a stupid decision. Does he need a TO every time they come down the court to make sure he doesn't do something stupid?

Moore was 11/22 to start the year from 3.
During that stretch the 3 he took last night would have been an acceptable shot. It was an open look.

Problem is he is now 0 for his last 11.

Now as far as the TO. I have been clear a TO needed to be called to attempt to slow/stop the run. There aren't enough TOs to call them just in reaction to mistakes

VN Store

Back