Malpractice use of TOs

12 three pointers made versus 6. Time outs give the other team's shooters a rest. Shooters miss more shots when they're tired.

12 three pointers made versus 6. Time outs give the other team's shooters a rest. Shooters miss more shots when they're tired.

Lol

The funny thing is they hit one right after it was 100% clear we needed a TO.

Moore missed his 3 that possession. Under your theory if we call a TO he makes it because he is rested

After reading all these posts, I realize how ridiculous it is for us to expect instant winning no matter what the coach has to put on the court. I'm as guilty as anyone when it comes to these feelings but am trying to be more realistic..... What we see taking place on the court is directly related to mediocre recruiting at best the last five years. We have some pretty nice individual pieces right now but we are far away from being a complete team right now.

Reactions: 3 people
Someone get the OP a nice big cookie with a great big glass of STFU.

I've never seen a poster so in love with himself. "LOOK AT ME I'M SO RIGHT'.

Reactions: 4 people
You're assuming that time outs should only be called when the momentum isn't in your favor. If a coach doesn't have a need to give specific instructions then maybe it's not smart to use one of only three available TOs. I remember Mostella scoring once when TN was down about 11, but the under 12 TO was to be made on the next dead ball.

Time outs don't magically change your team's fortunes.

And the OP is absolutely right. It is axiomatic in basketball that you call a TO when your opponent is on a run. You regroup and thus try to stop their momentum. There is a reason this has been done by practically every coach in the sport for, say, 100 years---and you ESPECIALLY do it when you've had a lead and then lost it, or are in the process of losing it. Barnes should have called a timeout when georgia tied the score or thereabouts. You don't let a team go on a run like that without trying things to stop it--starting with a timeout. I couldn't agree more that that was dumb game management. It was no game management.

Reactions: 4 people
Someone get the OP a nice big cookie with a great big glass of STFU.

I've never seen a poster so in love with himself. "LOOK AT ME I'M SO RIGHT'.

Glad to see you understand that TOs have to used to stop/run a run especially when a large 2nd half lead is lost. Refreshing that at least you and armchair understand basketball

Last edited:
And the OP is absolutely right. It is axiomatic in basketball that you call a TO when your opponent is on a run. You regroup and thus try to stop their momentum. There is a reason this has been done by practically every coach in the sport for, say, 100 years---and you ESPECIALLY do it when you've had a lead and then lost it, or are in the process of losing it. Barnes should have called a timeout when georgia tied the score or thereabouts. You don't let a team go on a run like that without trying things to stop it--starting with a timeout. I couldn't agree more that that was dumb game management. It was no game management.

You don't have enough TOs available to call them whenever your opponent goes on a run. If your team is young, maybe you'll gain some sort of advantage by calling time out and giving them some useful advice.

Crowds are always just as rowdie coming out of TOs. Using them is over rated. Let your seniors play it out... when the other team is on a run simply due to hot shooting, they are as likely to go cold with or without TOs being called.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Glad to see you understand that TOs have to used to stop a run especially when a large 2nd half lead is lost. Refreshing that at least you and armchair understand basketball

TOs don't stop runs. Stops the game for two or three minutes, but the run is as likely to continue coming out of a TO as it will stop.

You can see the steady hand Rick Barnes applies. Basically had to build confidence and cohesiveness from the ground up. Our coach has them trusting one another and that defense gets better and better. Hart ends up with another great hire.

Lol

Who knew all these years nearly every single dumbass coach in America was wasting TOs.

You do realize that the number of TOs available has been reduced this year for the first time in what? 50 years?

TN isn't losing by 20 or 30. They're losing by single digits. Georgia didn't extend the lead over the last 10 minutes or so. More TOs called wouldn't have made any difference.

Georgia was the bigger team. Using more TOs allows their bigger players more rest.

My favorite discussion was after the 1 exhibition game of the year.

BTO was so adamant that Barnes just sat on his hands and didn't call an TOs on purpose because it was an "learning" game. He was so sure things would look differently when the "real" games started

Well things didn't change

After reading all these posts, I realize how ridiculous it is for us to expect instant winning no matter what the coach has to put on the court. I'm as guilty as anyone when it comes to these feelings but am trying to be more realistic..... What we see taking place on the court is directly related to mediocre recruiting at best the last five years. We have some pretty nice individual pieces right now but we are far away from being a complete team right now.

Unfortunately, what we saw tonight is our team. KP is not going to average 23 in conference. AS will have bad games, he will not average 15. Teams with big front lines will wear us out.
This is not effort or timeouts. This is a lack of talent.
Fortunately, there hopefully will be a few nights when we get hot (FL)and upset a few folks, but we have no inside game and you cannot win consistently without it.

For the posters saying coaches don't need to call TOs when opponents are on a run even Barnes called a very good TO in the ETSU when they took the lead midway thru the 2nd half and yes the run was stopped and we won the game.

Does anyone know whether Coach Barnes has been asked about his philosophy on calling timeouts?

Thread is pointless. If you dont realize the players on this team just arent very good and phil jackson couldnt do much better there is no hope for you. THIS TEAM IS AWFUL!!!!!! Just accept that and watching them will be easier.

Reactions: 2 people
All off season I told this board the Texas people said Barnes was a bad in game coach and even worse user of TOs.

Tonight was beyond malpractice in that area.

Up 9 in the 2nd half Georgia goes on a run. We have 3 TOs left. We allow Georgia to go on a run that decides the game. When was a TO needed?

Well Barnes didn't call one until after Georgia took a 10pt lead AND baulkman hits a basket and 1. Then unexplainably Barnes called A TO. Smdh

When should a TO been called? Well the absolutely latest it should have been called was when the run was at 15-4 when Georgia took the lead on a 3. We got a 25ft shot from moore that hasn't made a 3 this year I don't think. And the very next possession Georgia hits another 3 to make the run 18-4.

And guess what Barnes didn't call a TO again he waited until we got down 10 and then started to come back.

Disgusting in game coach we have. Sick of it
Is that your biggest worry about this game? Time outs?

VN Store

Back