Longest lasting cars/trucks

I had back-to-back Honda Accords. I purchased each when they were 2 years old, and I drove them (combined) about 28 years. On the first, I replaced the compressor on the AC and on the second I replaced the thermostat when it was 15 years old. Those are the only things I did beyond regular maintenance. The best advice I can give to any young person is to drive as long as you can without a car payment. Out of those 28 years I drove about 23 years with no payment.

I currently have a Ridgeline that's just getting broken in at 125,000 miles.

I had back-to-back Honda Accords. I purchased each when they were 2 years old, and I drove them (combined) about 28 years. On the first, I replaced the compressor on the AC and on the second I replaced the thermostat when it was 15 years old. Those are the only things I did beyond regular maintenance. The best advice I can give to any young person is to drive as long as you can without a car payment. Out of those 28 years I drove about 23 years with no payment.

I currently have a Ridgeline that's just getting broken in at 125,000 miles.
It's all about status symbol for these young people. They won't think twice about strapping themselves with a $700 car payment for 72 months because in their minds if they drive a 15 year old Honda people will assume they are broke and they can't have that. Guess what? Those 20 somethings with 700-800 car payments....we all know you're broke. On top of rent these days....they are living off credit cards. And it's unfortunate.

Edit: I realized I said all that to say this, my dad is 61 years old and cannot remember the last time he did not have a car payment. Probably when he was a teenager. He is constantly trading and pulling up in my driveway to show me what he found. For some people, car payments are just part of being an adult. Personally I hate it.

I remember when the Japanese brands were the best bet for reliability, but I wonder what everyone's take is now. I know Nissan CVT transmissions are no good and I've heard newer Hondas don't hold up like they used to. I even saw several complaints recently about the newer Toyotas that have gone to smaller engines with turbos...some saying they were no good, which was surprising. I've been happy with my '21 Nissan Titan, but it's somewhat of an old school truck with a V8 and no real gimmicks for gas mileage.

My sister has a 2014 Ford Escape with 106k on it. Needs a new transmission. Ford wants almost 8k for a new one. Gonna try to find a junk or reman. Coworker had the same thing happen to her Escape. I wouldn't drive a Ford right now if it was given to me.

My sister has a 2014 Ford Escape with 106k on it. Needs a new transmission. Ford wants almost 8k for a new one. Gonna try to find a junk or reman. Coworker had the same thing happen to her Escape. I wouldn't drive a Ford right now if it was given to me.

Full size trucks with the V-8 or diesel, Ford has those pretty much perfected.

Had a Focus I got rid of before the transmission went out. It started hesitating when I pulled out from a stop and I immediately traded it. 70k miles on it.

The Ford Edge is actually a good SUV. No CVT in it.

Toyota is the only company I know of that has a good CVT transmission.

Full size trucks with the V-8 or diesel, Ford has those pretty much perfected.
My F-150 has 256,000 on a 5.4 V8. It’s been cross country 1/2 dozen times or so. Still going strong today, only had to replace the rear end and intake manifold.
Oh and I couldn’t believe, the intake is made out of plastic.
GBO

Reactions: malinoisvol

VN Store

Back