Longest lasting cars/trucks

Rasputin_Vol

"Slava Ukraina"
These Are The Longest-Lasting Cars (In Miles) | ZeroHedge

2023-01-03_11-13-10.jpg

Reactions: HalfullVol
2002 VW Golf TDI 400k original engine, trans, clutch, turbo.
Battery, suspension, tires (and lots of other parts) not original.

@VaBornVol - on my third alternator, replaced last year. They seem to last about 200k for me.

Sold my 2002 Dodge Durango SLT in 2013 with 247k on the odometer. Battery, tires, brakes, and a radiator. It was one of the best vehicles I've ever owned.

Reactions: Vjcvette
Had a 2000 Lexus 300 GS, 225k miles when I got caught in a hail storm(2013). Sold it to a friend who's son wrecked it a few years later.
They quit making them around 2018.

Reactions: Vjcvette
No 4Runner? No credibility
Same with second Gen S-10's. I put 360K miles on my '02 4.3L, and the new owner drives it by my house every day. If it weren't for the S-10/4.3's need to eat fuel pumps like candy, the only other thing I ever replaced on that truck was an intake manifold gasket, and a transmission at 290K miles, that I bought at a yard with 90K on it for $250. But, the fuel pump issue was probably more me gettiing locked into the 12 month rpelacement cycle on an Aertek pump and it going out every 11 months before one finally lasting me long enough to re-urchase a $280 OEM quality pump. Had I done my homework and not bought a dime store fuel pump, who knows. But, I also found through research that fuel pumps on the extended cab were isuues enough to be noted.

Last edited:
Same with second Gen S-10's. I put 360K miles on my '02 4.3L, and the new owner drives it by my house every day. If it weren't for the S-10/4.3's need to eat fuel pumps like candy, the only other thing I ever replaced on that truck was an intake manifold gasket, and a transmission at 290K miles, that I bought at a yard with 90K on it for $250. But, the fuel pump issue was probably more me gettiing locked into the 12 month rpelacement cycle on an Aertek pump and it going out every 11 months before one finally lasting me long enough to re-urchase a $280 OEM quality pump. Had I done my homework and not bought a dime store fuel pump, who knows. But, I also found through research that fuel pumps on the extended cab were isuues enough to be noted.

I prefer the 1st Gen but every S-10 I've ever owned has been great. I have a 2nd Gen Blazer and it's been extremely reliable. I put a $1600 transmission in it around 160,000. Otherwise, it's only been maintenance for well over 200,000.
In fact, all of my GM trucks & SUV's have been amazing...

4.8 Silverado 282,000
5.3 Suburban 260,000
5.7 Suburban 235,000
4.3 Blazer 216,000

Our work fleet is all Chevy/GMC and we keep them in service until 300,000.

I prefer the 1st Gen but every S-10 I've ever owned has been great. I have a 2nd Gen Blazer and it's been extremely reliable. I put a $1600 transmission in it around 160,000. Otherwise, it's only been maintenance for well over 200,000.

4.8 Silverado 282,000
5.3 Suburban 260,000
5.7 Suburban 235,000
4.3 Blazer 216,000

IMO, and it may not be worth much, there are a few "modern" engines, Ford and GM, you can count on. Ford 5.0 and 3.0 (but the 3.0 will develop pretty good leaks cause of multi piece gasket designs). THe 4.3, 5.3, and 6 liter Vortecs. People seem high on LS versions but I have no experience with them. Got 240K miles on the Ford 3.0 in a Milan right now and have had to do absolutely nothing to the engine itself. THe heater core has been flushed twice to get get heat to work. And a starter, but I don't expect starters to go the life of a car and it did last 236K. I'm convinced straying from Motorcraft 5/20 blend to a full synthetic for a while caused all hte oil leaks. Oh, and I do seem to have a re-curring powersteering fluid leak. Replaced that pressure switch once, and it's losing fluid again. THe only other true issue I've known of with the 3.0 is if you get a model with the cam cap bolts that weren't hardened properly and they have worked loose. Can't really complain about the transmissions I've had with the 4.3 or 3.0. THe one in the Milan/Fusion is a problem if you have it in hte Escape because they didn't upsize it for the SUV. In the sedan it has been good.

4.8 Silverado 282,000
5.3 Suburban 260,000
5.7 Suburban 235,000
4.3 Blazer 216,000

It seems now if you have a 2500 truck or Tahoe/Suburban with the 6l Vortec, you have a nest egg. I know several people trying to find something with that engine.

Reactions: SycloneJoe
I am pretty brand loyal to Ford or Toyota. My two previous Ford diesels, I sold one that had over 500k and the other one had over 300k. My wife has a Toyota van with 280k on it currently. But we did do maintenance and the occasional repairs along the way.

We have a 96 F-350 with 7.3 powerstroke, last i saw it had a 600k plus/minus. We did put a new transmission in it a few years ago but other than that it’s been rock solid and worked to death.
That was the engine that gave me over 500 and still going with I sold it. Mine was a 2000, so it had the turbo.

Reactions: StarRaider
IMO, and it may not be worth much, there are a few "modern" engines, Ford and GM, you can count on. Ford 5.0 and 3.0 (but the 3.0 will develop pretty good leaks cause of multi piece gasket designs). THe 4.3, 5.3, and 6 liter Vortecs. People seem high on LS versions but I have no experience with them. Got 240K miles on the Ford 3.0 in a Milan right now and have had to do absolutely nothing to the engine itself. THe heater core has been flushed twice to get get heat to work. And a starter, but I don't expect starters to go the life of a car and it did last 236K. I'm convinced straying from Motorcraft 5/20 blend to a full synthetic for a while caused all hte oil leaks. Oh, and I do seem to have a re-curring powersteering fluid leak. Replaced that pressure switch once, and it's losing fluid again. THe only other true issue I've known of with the 3.0 is if you get a model with the cam cap bolts that weren't hardened properly and they have worked loose. Can't really complain about the transmissions I've had with the 4.3 or 3.0. THe one in the Milan/Fusion is a problem if you have it in hte Escape because they didn't upsize it for the SUV. In the sedan it has been good.

The LS family of engines are great! They're more powerful than the vortec engines and still reliable. There's a reason (actually many reasons) they're so popular for engine swaps. The only thing that hurts their reliability is the DOD (where it cuts cylinders for fuel economy).

I've looked at Escapes for my oldest. He'll be enrolling at UTK in the fall and needs a gas saver that still has storage. All I keep hearing is negatives about the transmissions.

It seems now if you have a 2500 truck or Tahoe/Suburban with the 6l Vortec, you have a nest egg. I know several people trying to find something with that engine.

I have one on an engine stand. It's eventually getting turbos and going into a GMC Typhoon. :cool:

The LS family of engines are great! They're more powerful than the vortec engines and still reliable. There's a reason (actually many reasons) they're so popular for engine swaps. The only thing that hurts their reliability is the DOD (where it cuts cylinders for fuel economy).

I've looked at Escapes for my oldest. He'll be enrolling at UTK in the fall and needs a gas saver that still has storage. All I keep hearing is negatives about the transmissions.

I have one on an engine stand. It's eventually getting turbos and going into a GMC Typhoon. :cool:

The issue with transmissions in Escapes is they are sedan transmissions. It's the same automatic that is in the Fusions/Milans. They dropped it into the Escapes, which are a heavier vehicle, with no upgrade kits or just a more stout trans altogether. In the Fusion variants I don't think the issues have been widespread. Certainly not in our Milan. My transmission has 240K, never had the trans fluid flushed or changed (maybe once) and still going strong. My BIL is a transmission mechanic. He always told me that trans filter and fluid service should be done on schedule, but if you don't and go too many miles it would do more harm to all of a sudden start doing the services.

Yep. THat's what seems to make the 6L so popular. Rodders love them.

Reactions: SycloneJoe
I have a 2012 Tundra with 102,000 miles. I found it used with super low miles. It’s paid off now and I plan to drive it for a long time.

Reactions: Toujours Pret
Have and still drive 2002 Acura MDX with 287K + on it. Did replace the transmission at 203K. Everything else has been just typical wear and tear.

VN Store

Back