Longest lasting cars/trucks

Buying an underpowered (for it's intended use) or a vehicle reliant on turbocharger(s) to make the power necessary is buying a problem.
Yep. I've never owned anything turbo or super charged. Don't plan on it either. There's ample room to tweak a good engine without adding sure fail components.

Gave up on American manufacturers altogether. My wife’s 19 Ford Escape has had the engine replaced twice and it currently has 69k miles. My 15 Equinox was about to have the timing chain break at just over 100k miles.

Got a 19 Honda Ridgeline for myself last weekend. Not a truck, is a truck. I don’t care. I’m going with Hondas and Toyotas from here on out. They’re built to last. I don’t care anymore about the fancy interiors that Ford, Chevy, and Chrysler invest in.

Update:

Less than 2 weeks into owning the used 19 Ridgeline, I’ve experienced a violent upshift problem between 1st/2nd gear. Currently at the dealer. Only 52k miles. Apparently, Honda Ridgelines between model years 2017-2019 are notorious for issues with the 6 speed transmissions. Disappointed at the moment.

My old Silverado (mentioned earlier in this thread) was struck by a tornado in December. It threw that dumpster into the side, all of the glass except the windshield was blown inside, the debris was literally sandblasting the paint off, the headliner and radio were damaged by wind and debris, only The Good Lord knows where the fiberglass bed cover ended up. Something even blew a hole in the license plate. After we cleared the debris from on, under and around it, I turned the key and the old 290k miles V8 fitted right up. Still purring like always. I bought it back from insurance. I’m going to replace the glass and keep it around for hauling misc. She’s got too good of a story now.
IMG_3406.png

Speaking of reliable engines, I replaced the wife and I’s daily drivers. She’s now has a Acura TSX with a K24 4 cylinder. The K series is one of the best engines Honda has ever built. After my poor Silverado (above), I thought I’d get something fun. I got a TJ Rubicon with the 4.0 + manual transmission. The best engine Jeep ever built.

We replaced the wife’s VERY expensive to repair turbo Mini. 👍

Last edited:
just started reading up on problems with Volvos. apparently they were bought out by a Chinese company and and quality went to crap.

Buying an underpowered (for it's intended use) or a vehicle reliant on turbocharger(s) to make the power necessary is buying a problem.
I have a 2002 turbocharged diesel daily driver with almost 400k miles and zero turbo problems... but I drive it like I stole it after it gets up to operating temp. I bring it up to red line at least once per drive.
1709136953036.png

Last edited:
I have a 2002 turbocharged diesel daily driver with almost 400k miles and not any turbo problems... but I drive it like I stole it after it gets up to operating temp. I bring it up to red line at least once per drive.

Diesels handle a turbo charger much better than gas engines do, all manufactures had trouble when they first started putting turbos on their diesels. I think it was a combination of turbos and the new emissions but dang there was a lot of problems.

The real issue is the manufactures slapping a turbo charged 6cyl in a full sized truck and advertising a 13,000lbs tow rating.

Reactions: StarRaider
Diesels handle a turbo charger much better than gas engines do, all manufactures had trouble when they first started putting turbos on their diesels. I think it was a combination of turbos and the new emissions but dang there was a lot of problems.

The real issue is the manufactures slapping a turbo charged 6cyl in a full sized truck and advertising a 13,000lbs tow rating.
Yep our company has some of the Ford 150s with the eco twin turbo gassers that had to be replaced (under warranty IIRC)... I think they were MY 2017ish

My turbodiesel has a VNT and no wastegate and 2002/2003 emissions... so it is a keeper until some lunkhead pulls out in front of me.

Reactions: hog88
Yep our company has some of the Ford 150s with the eco twin turbo gassers that had to be replaced (under warranty IIRC)... I think they were MY 2017ish

My turbodiesel has a VNT and no wastegate and 2002/2003 emissions... so it is a keeper until some lunkhead pulls out in front of me.

If you have the 7.3 Powerstroke keep that sucker. Best diesel engine ever put in a pickup, we still have one and it's gotta be getting close to 3/4 a million miles by now.

Turbo serves its purpose. I had a GMC Syclone (modded) and a GMC Typhoon (stock). The Typhoon never gave a single problem. The Syclone liked to destroy transmissions but 600 ft/lb of torque and AWD will do that.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Yeah, I have a 1998 S70 T5 manual with 180k on it. Drive it all the time, and it's a long term keeper for me. Turbo just works. Also have a T-bird turbo coupe that never needs anything, but that's probably not a fair comparison as those cars last 300k and I think it's fair to say it might take 2 turbos to make it that far. I'm planning to take the rest of my life to wear that one out.

But hey, more for me if some of you guys don't want one. Carry on.

Yeah, I have a 1998 S70 T5 manual with 180k on it. Drive it all the time, and it's a long term keeper for me. Turbo just works. Also have a T-bird turbo coupe that never needs anything, but that's probably not a fair comparison as those cars last 300k and I think it's fair to say it might take 2 turbos to make it that far. I'm planning to take the rest of my life to wear that one out.

But hey, more for me if some of you guys don't want one. Carry on.
T-Bird year?

They haven’t been good in years. I had an S80 that I couldn’t wait to get rid of. The Swedes made a reliable, basic, utilitarian vehicle. Ford and the Chinese ruined them.
Had a 2007 S60 with a 5 cylinder turbo engine and it was an an impressive car. Was one of the smoothest quickest non sports cars I’ve ever driven and would get you in trouble fast. Had to use the cruise control or you would find yourself doing 90+.

Funny story - was driving through the night with my 85 year old father taking turns sleeping/resting. During one of my rest times in southern Alabama with no traffic on the interstate I peaked at the speedo and he was at 105! Didn’t get any more rest.

Buy a diesel!!! So worth it lol here’s my 2007.5 Duramax with 215,000 miles on the clock. Just now broke in.
Agree 100%. I had 375k on my 2011 Ram w/cummins motor. Traded it in 2018 because I had some fairly expensive front end work to be done and I didn’t need the towing capability any more. Traded for 2018 Silverado 1500. Transmission went out at 150k.
Traded for another Ram, still don’t need it for towing but can’t beat the longevity of the engine. I run an average of about 40-45000 miles per year.

Agree 100%. I had 375k on my 2011 Ram w/cummins motor. Traded it in 2018 because I had some fairly expensive front end work to be done and I didn’t need the towing capability any more. Traded for 2018 Silverado 1500. Transmission went out at 150k.
Traded for another Ram, still don’t need it for towing but can’t beat the longevity of the engine. I run an average of about 40-45000 miles per year.
You just can’t beat a diesel. Little more expensive when it comes to repairs but if you take care of them, they’ll take care of you.

This issue with turbocharged vehicles is most people don’t understand that you have to be careful with them. If you try to go out to your vehicle and crank it up and leave and don’t let it get up to operating temp, once that cold oil hits that hot turbo, you’re just asking for issues.

Reactions: Carl Pickens
This issue with turbocharged vehicles is most people don’t understand that you have to be careful with them. If you try to go out to your vehicle and crank it up and leave and don’t let it get up to operating temp, once that cold oil hits that hot turbo, you’re just asking for issues.
So, are you saying, it needs to idle longer just sitting there, or can you drive off as long you go slow for a while so as not to kick on the turbocharger?

Reactions: McDad
Had a 2007 S60 with a 5 cylinder turbo engine and it was an an impressive car. Was one of the smoothest quickest non sports cars I’ve ever driven and would get you in trouble fast. Had to use the cruise control or you would find yourself doing 90+.

Funny story - was driving through the night with my 85 year old father taking turns sleeping/resting. During one of my rest times in southern Alabama with no traffic on the interstate I peaked at the speedo and he was at 105! Didn’t get any more rest.
We had a Chevy minivan that was faster than that S80. The only redeeming feature was how safe it was.

They need good fuel and don’t skip oil changes.

My old Silverado (mentioned earlier in this thread) was struck by a tornado in December. It threw that dumpster into the side, all of the glass except the windshield was blown inside, the debris was literally sandblasting the paint off, the headliner and radio were damaged by wind and debris, only The Good Lord knows where the fiberglass bed cover ended up. Something even blew a hole in the license plate. After we cleared the debris from on, under and around it, I turned the key and the old 290k miles V8 fitted right up. Still purring like always. I bought it back from insurance. I’m going to replace the glass and keep it around for hauling misc. She’s got too good of a story now.
View attachment 623540
Hendersonville?

the Toyota/Lexus V8 from the 2000s is a great motor. bought an 09 GX470 with 194K on it and it's insanely smooth. you see these motors/transmissions into the 400K routinely. replace the timing belt every 100K and you're good to go.

VN Store

Back