Longest lasting cars/trucks

Just turned 300k on my MDX. Going in for timing belt change and oil seal replacement next week. Mechanically sound, cosmetically it’s starting to show its age.

Mine, too. I need to check the fluid I drain carefully for metal, I guess.
I had a leveling kit on mine. I have a sneaking suspicion that it could have been one of the problems. But the folks I had doing the repairs were super legit. This situation has been a head scratcher for me. But I will say this. I love my Nissan Titan.

Reactions: McDad
Gave up on American manufacturers altogether. My wife’s 19 Ford Escape has had the engine replaced twice and it currently has 69k miles. My 15 Equinox was about to have the timing chain break at just over 100k miles.

Got a 19 Honda Ridgeline for myself last weekend. Not a truck, is a truck. I don’t care. I’m going with Hondas and Toyotas from here on out. They’re built to last. I don’t care anymore about the fancy interiors that Ford, Chevy, and Chrysler invest in.

Props for going with a Ridgeline.

The hate they get from the micro peen crowd is extremely unwarranted. They're fantastic vehicles for what they are. I love how thoughtfully they are laid out both inside and out.

If i ever decided to buy something newer, its something I'll look at- "it aint a truck" or "old man wheels" comments be damned.

Just turned 300k on my MDX. Going in for timing belt change and oil seal replacement next week. Mechanically sound, cosmetically it’s starting to show its age.
Love my MDXs. What year and trim level is yours?

Reactions: Vol737
Love my MDXs. What year and trim level is yours?
2002. Certainly not the “Tech” package back in that day. Has the trip computer showing real time mpg so I’ve always played the game to see if I could beat the stated mpg. Leather heated seats, AWD, pwr everything, etc. Just put my wife in a new car, will trade hers in and buy what I want, but keeping this MDX as my airport/hiking/camping/biking vehicle. Can’t kill this thing if I wanted to.

Reactions: McDad
2002. Certainly not the “Tech” package back in that day. Has the trip computer showing real time mpg so I’ve always played the game to see if I could beat the stated mpg. Leather heated seats, AWD, pwr everything, etc. Just put my wife in a new car, will trade hers in and buy what I want, but keeping this MDX as my airport/hiking/camping/biking vehicle. Can’t kill this thing if I wanted to.
Our first MDX was a 2001. I have headlamps and tail lamps that fit your car if you have a need. I'll give em to you just so they don't go to waste.

Reactions: Vol737
The Fleet:

'98 Honda CRV (16 y.o. son): 122,000 miles
'06 Corolla (manual transmission): 299,999 miles and holding (as high as the OD goes)
'08 Impala (18 y.o. son): 145,000 miles
'10 Toyota Sequoia: 228,000 miles
1973 MGB: 75,000 miles or so
2015 Victory Cross Country 8-ball: Not nearly enough miles for me. But I'm working on it.

Buy it, care for it, run it till the wheels fall off it. It will almost always be cheaper to fix it than to buy a new one.

The Fleet:

'98 Honda CRV (16 y.o. son): 122,000 miles
'06 Corolla (manual transmission): 299,999 miles and holding (as high as the OD goes)
'08 Impala (18 y.o. son): 145,000 miles
'10 Toyota Sequoia: 228,000 miles
1973 MGB: 75,000 miles or so
2015 Victory Cross Country 8-ball: Not nearly enough miles for me. But I'm working on it.

Buy it, care for it, run it till the wheels fall off it. It will almost always be cheaper to fix it than to buy a new one.

Go ahead and set up a succession plan for the Sequoia.

We'll run out of oil before it dies.

Also...you can get 200k and 300k mile club stickers from Toyota. (I'm a toyota devotee)

I've had terrific luck out of Ford F150's. The latest is a 2018 4X4 with the 400HP Coyote V8. One of the best engines Ford has ever built, very powerful. Haven't had any problems hauling the bass boat or hauling wood. Barely even notice you are hauling anything. The trick with Ford or nearly any manufacturer is to stay away from the ecoboost or turbo charged engines. Those things are for the track and not for everyday driving. They are asking the engine platform to do too much and you risk catastrophic engine failure. Forced induction engines run hotter, have to work harder, and use higher compression. Regular, naturally aspirated V6's and V8's are the way to go with midsize and full size vehicles. They'll run a long, long time. Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Toyota, Honda....Just get naturally aspirated engines in these and engine wise you shouldn't have any problems unless you get a lemon.

I'm going to take F150s off my list. 2010, just replaced the 4.6 with 150k miles because of timing chain failure. In the shop now with 156k replacing the 6R80 because of valve body failure. Had great luck on the super duty(s) and the coyote engines in the mustangs. Not so much on this modular engine in the F150.

Reactions: Rasputin_Vol
I'm going to take F150s off my list. 2010, just replaced the 4.6 with 150k miles because of timing chain failure. In the shop now with 156k replacing the 6R80 because of valve body failure. Had great luck on the super duty(s) and the coyote engines in the mustangs. Not so much on this modular engine in the F150.
I don't work on mine (208k right now) but I worry. I've never seen a 'good' used chain guide on anything. I figure sooner or later it's just going to make a slap-bang and coast to a stop. Wife also has an LS460; they have direct injection, so extra chains doing extra work. 138k on that one.

My 2014 F150 made it without a scratch to 90,932 miles on Feb 19, 2024. The date it was totaled by a reckless driver of a Chevy.

I will be buying another F150.

I don't work on mine (208k right now) but I worry. I've never seen a 'good' used chain guide on anything. I figure sooner or later it's just going to make a slap-bang and coast to a stop. Wife also has an LS460; they have direct injection, so extra chains doing extra work. 138k on that one.
Lexus isn't even broken in yet with 140k.

We have a couple of RX-350s that we use as delivery (very light items) vehicles. One has 225K, the other about half of that. Both are 2009's (I think). Lexus/Toyota makes a different breed of car.
Agreed. We have a sienna with a little over 280k and a Camry hybrid with 90k. I'm a fan.

Reactions: VolTull
I had to unload my 2012 Tundra last month. Gear box/rack went out for the 3rd time. Only 115k miles. Traded it in for a newer Titan. I am one of the few people that have had major issues with a Tundra. Guess I’m rolling with Nissan for now.
I've got a 2021 Titan Pro-4x and am very happy with it. Used to have a 2015 Tundra Crewmax that was a great truck but I just prefer the way the Titan drives. My father and brother also have 2nd gen Titans and they've all been great trucks. I think all the new trucks are pretty good.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
I've got a 2021 Titan Pro-4x and am very happy with it. Used to have a 2015 Tundra Crewmax that was a great truck but I just prefer the way the Titan drives. My father and brother also have 2nd gen Titans and they've all been great trucks. I think all the new trucks are pretty good.
So far I like the Titan better. It’s an 2018 with 42k miles. The dealer fixed it up with tires, lift and wheels. It’s sharp.

I had a 2014 Ridgeline (the new body style sucks IMO), it was a great little truck. Towed my Mustang back from Alaska and a 6x10 fully loaded trailer just fine. Also handed much better because it FWD. 95% of people would be fine with a Ridgeline as their truck (unless you're towing heavyish).
Pilot/Ridgeline AWD rated to tow 5K pounds.

I've had terrific luck out of Ford F150's. The latest is a 2018 4X4 with the 400HP Coyote V8. One of the best engines Ford has ever built, very powerful. Haven't had any problems hauling the bass boat or hauling wood. Barely even notice you are hauling anything. The trick with Ford or nearly any manufacturer is to stay away from the ecoboost or turbo charged engines. Those things are for the track and not for everyday driving. They are asking the engine platform to do too much and you risk catastrophic engine failure. Forced induction engines run hotter, have to work harder, and use higher compression. Regular, naturally aspirated V6's and V8's are the way to go with midsize and full size vehicles. They'll run a long, long time. Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Toyota, Honda....Just get naturally aspirated engines in these and engine wise you shouldn't have any problems unless you get a lemon.
Or any vehicle. Ticks me off everyone is going to 4 banger turbos to save the world. Wife's 2017 Pilot 3.5 V6 is 295HP. Naturally. One of the 18 computers may go out but that Honda V6 is built to last and near 300 hp is dang plenty. And 24mpg average with the bulk of that local. 27mpg hwy.

Or any vehicle. Ticks me off everyone is going to 4 banger turbos to save the world. Wife's 2017 Pilot 3.5 V6 is 295HP. Naturally. One of the 18 computers may go out but that Honda V6 is built to last and near 300 hp is dang plenty. And 24mpg average with the bulk of that local. 27mpg hwy.

Buying an underpowered (for it's intended use) or a vehicle reliant on turbocharger(s) to make the power necessary is buying a problem.

VN Store

Back