Lindy's Basketball Preview

Google Southern Indiana. Then google UW-Milwaukee.

I know all about Pearl's history (ps Southern Indiana is a DII school so it really doesn't matter...) and what CCM did at Missouri State in an extremely short time period is extremely impressive as well, he led a 11-20 team in his first year to 24-12 his second and a regular season conference title in his third year. Pearl was at all of his stops longer than Martin because of his "little incident." Google that...

I know all about Pearl's history (ps Southern Indiana is a DII school so it really doesn't matter...) and what CCM did at Missouri State in an extremely short time period is extremely impressive as well, he led a 11-20 team in his first year to 24-12 his second and a regular season conference title in his third year. Pearl was at all of his stops longer than Martin because of his "little incident." Google that...

The team Pearl inherited from Bo Ryan at UWM was the Milwaukee Bucks compared to what Martin walked into at Missouri State.

I was not aware that we hired these coaches in succession. My memory is a little different from yours, I don't remember Devoe taking us to the NCAA every year
he was here.

He didn't, but still got us in the tourney for the first five, six years. He dropped off at the end however.

He didn't, but still got us in the tourney for the first five, six years. He dropped off at the end however.

We went to the tournament the first 5 years. The next 5
years we could not make it to the dance. We barely made it in his final season. that averages every other year. Hardly what one would call consistently getting us
to the dance.

Got the magazine today, get's me fired up for college basketball.

They pick Tennessee last in the SEC and claim they "Might be the least talented high-major team in the country."

Martin's got a long road ahead of him, but I can't wait for some basketball!

Hope all the Pearl haters are happy to lay in the bed they made.

Gonna be a long ride out of hell.

D-2 ball is irrelevant, and freaking Stan Heath took a mid-major team to the Elite 8.
Your statement still doesn't back up your argument. I'm a Couzo supporter, but to say that his resume was better than Pearl's when they both took the job is just foolish. Martin hasn't even been to the tourney as a HC yet. That's not down playing his impressive run at Mo St, but what matters to most alum and boosters are tourney appearances.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

We went to the tournament the first 5 years. The next 5
years we could not make it to the dance. We barely made it in his final season. that averages every other year. Hardly what one would call consistently getting us
to the dance.

Pearl's tournament streak would have ended this year even if he hadn't been sanctioned. The only recruits he signed didn't qualify and Hopson and Harris weren't coming back.

And retaining Pearl wouldn't have been? The NCAA would have slapped Tennessee with a 10 times harsher penalty, it would have been impossible to recruit with Pearl's show-cause and every coach in America would use Pearl's past to recruit negatively against him.

And retaining Pearl wouldn't have been? The NCAA would have slapped Tennessee with a 10 times harsher penalty, it would have been impossible to recruit with Pearl's show-cause and every coach in America would use Pearl's past to recruit negatively against him.

As long as he paints his chest and gives free pizza and t-shirts to the students, I don't care.

If this team finished at least .500, that would be pretty awesome in Martin's first year. If they made the tournament, give the man a raise! I could see us finishing 5th in the East and a record just under.500. Take the usual thumps (Kentucky, Miss State, Vandy, Florida) and we'll probably want to pretend the Maui didn't even happen. I think we beat most of the people we should beat and surprise a couple of teams. I could really see this team being inconsistant, especially in SEC play. We have a decent starting 5 but depth is going to absolutely kill us.

Orange Balls throwing out age remarks again.

Color me shocked.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

It's the only argument he has, give the dude a break.

New rule: you can't be a Guru until you're in a nursing home

Here's why I don't think this team is going to be THAT bad (although, it won't be what we usually expect with Pearl this year):

1. We have good athleticism and length. With Martin's huge emphasis on defense, that will win us a few games.

2. The talent is there: Golden/McRae/Tatum/Woolridge/Hall (let's pretend that's the starting lineup). All players in the top 100 on rivals. That's pretty good. They might not be as good as we though, but it still helps to have that talent.

3. Discipline will be back. I remember the first couple years with Bruce, he installed discipline on the court. Well, that was gone pretty quickly. Martin won't have that. And that is going to help.

You do know the reason we are in this mess in the first place, is because of the lying Jew, right? I swear Pearlophiles can't seem to realize their savior is the one who got us in this mess in the first place.

I don't think Tennessee will be the worst team in the SEC. Auburn, LSU and Ole Miss are still pretty bad. Remember Chris Warren graduated, although I think he really hurt their team by being such a ballhog. Probem is we may start the season 0-3 in the Maui tournament which will put us in a major hole and hurt our confidence. On the other hand, it can get us ready for SEC play in a hurry and our hard out of conference schedule. I think we will have too many losses this year to be considered for the NCAA tournament.

Our starting lineup is decent, but our backups are the problem
PG- Golden/Washpun
SG- McRae/McBee
SF- Tatum/Maymon
PF- JUCO Player I forget his name/Woolridge
C- Hall/Fr.

We only lose 1 meaningful player this year, which is Cam Tatum.

Cam Tatum and meaningful do not belong in the same sentence. Cam Tatum and inconsistent; that's a match.

Here's why I don't think this team is going to be THAT bad (although, it won't be what we usually expect with Pearl this year):

1. We have good athleticism and length. With Martin's huge emphasis on defense, that will win us a few games.

2. The talent is there: Golden/McRae/Tatum/Woolridge/Hall (let's pretend that's the starting lineup). All players in the top 100 on rivals. That's pretty good. They might not be as good as we though, but it still helps to have that talent.

3. Discipline will be back. I remember the first couple years with Bruce, he installed discipline on the court. Well, that was gone pretty quickly. Martin won't have that. And that is going to help.

Tatum, Hall and Woolridge have already proven that Rivals Rankings below the Top 5-10 mean little. BTW, Tatum was 104.

Why doesn't DII count? It's not like he had superior athletes than other DII schools. His team didn't get to play 7 on 5 or anything. He won NCs because of his coaching. His first year at So. Indy he took a 10 win team and won 22 games. How did CCM do his first year at So. Mizzou? Pearl won 231 games in 9 season there.

He took UW-Milwukee to a sweet 16 in 2005, and made the tourney in 2003. 2003 was his third year coaching there. Did CCM make the tourney his third year at So. Mizzou? Pearl's record at UWM was 51-13.

Don't delude yourself broheim, Pearl was much more lauded when UT hired him than CCM was.

Why doesn't DII count? It's not like he had superior athletes than other DII schools. His team didn't get to play 7 on 5 or anything. He won NCs because of his coaching. His first year at So. Indy he took a 10 win team and won 22 games. How did CCM do his first year at So. Mizzou? Pearl won 231 games in 9 season there.

He took UW-Milwukee to a sweet 16 in 2005, and made the tourney in 2003. 2003 was his third year coaching there. Did CCM make the tourney his third year at So. Mizzou? Pearl's record at UWM was 51-13.

Don't delude yourself broheim, Pearl was much more lauded when UT hired him than CCM was.

I'm not deluding myself at all. I never said CCM had a better resume, but those acting like he's nothing compared to Bruce Pearl and that he's never accomplished anything are morons and if you are included in that group, then so be it...

p.s. You know Pearl followed Bo Ryan at UW Milwaukee right? Cuonzo followed Barry Hinson. So isn't it fair to say that Pearl was left with a tad bit better squad than Martin?

Last edited:

And both Pearl and Martin were more lauded than Josh Pastner. No one cares about your evaluation of our coaching hires.

VN Store

Back