Lets face reality now while we're sober

Few of our games will be sure wins this year and we may end up losing quite a few but I was pretty happy with what I saw in game one except for the passing game. Everything else seemed improved from the last couple of years, including in-game coaching adjustments.

Hard to tell much from one game but there were many more positives than negatives.

If it holds true that the most improvement happens from game one to game two then that is reason for optimism.

We could play well and still lose to Pitt. They are a good team. But it looks like we have some decent talent. If we play fundamentally sound and limit mistakes, it is a winnable game.

I REALLY hope Byron Young can play against Pitt. I know he’s never played a snap at this level, but all the reports make it sound like he is a beast, and having someone able to get pressure on the QB could make a huge difference in the outcome.
He is out until Tenn Tech.

Pitt was a couple of tds away from going 9-3 last year and people are saying we are going to blow them out? I truly hope you're right but will be shocked if that happens. We have about 2 or 3 players on the team that would start for an elite team and that's probably being generous.
We have a host of players who would be playing for or have played for elite teams...Milton, Hooker, Maxwell, Mays, Wright, Taylor, McCullough, Flowers, Salmon, McGrath...

Georgia and Alabama are going to be absolute beat downs.

Good news is so will Vanderbilt. Also the Missouri game looks a little better.

How much stock should we put into Pittsburghs performance? I honestly don't know much about them other than they looked better offensively that the Big Orange.
12–0 till we are not

Reactions: swampfoxfan
We definitely need to fix that QB situation somehow FAST.
Did you find it odd Heupel didn't bring another QB in the game earlier? If for no other reason, experience....I believe the backup came in with just over a minute left in the game. It's easier for all of us to sit back after the fact and ask these questions, but I had expected to see another much sooner than we did.

Reactions: tbh
That's true and they were still able to defend Pitt for a significant portion of the game. Their D isn't great. They got no help from the O at all. It was a two score game until the very end of the 2nd qtr.

What I did take away from that game is that UT has a good chance of dominating both sides of the line of scrimmage.

Hehe. That's funny right there.

So are you giving 14 pts. I would take that bet.
Take it. We'll see what our defense is made of when they play an offense with a pulse. Further, we'll see if how bad Milton really is when he plays a better D as well. I would actually put more money on our defense holding the line before i would Milton even being a serviceable quarterback.

Georgia and Alabama are going to be absolute beat downs.

Good news is so will Vanderbilt. Also the Missouri game looks a little better.

How much stock should we put into Pittsburghs performance? I honestly don't know much about them other than they looked better offensively that the Big Orange.

We have so far to go.

probably not better than Miami! You’re wrong on your predictions again scout
Not yet.

At least you remained realistic by not accusing him of being unrealistic because he was predicting something in the future only to be unrealistic by telling him he's wrong.

Reactions: swampfoxfan
This cracks me up. Some of you are acting like UGA played some lower ranked scrub team. They played the #3 team in the nation. You think we have a better defense than Clemson? Get real. UGAs offense will likely end up as one of the best in the SEC.
Clemsons defense is legit, but I’ll believe in UGA’s offense being better than average when I see it. UGA us the talent on offense to do well, but their play calling is awful. Typically just playing not to lose will come back and bite you. I didn’t see UGA take a single shot downfield.

Did you watch today’s Bama and/or Georgia games? Asking for a friend.

Ga offense scored 3 pts. Oh, I know Clemson has a GREAT defense. But Clemson was also playing with a young inexperienced OL and rather inexperienced QB. But that was all Ga def right?

Your comment about QB play is spot on. As one of the commenters on this thread pointed out, Week 1 games are a single data point, but of the 9 SEC QBs for whom ESPN listed QB ratings after Saturday's games, Milton of Tennessee had the lowest - 31.4. The highest QB rating went to Nix of Auburn, 96.6, with Young of course second - 94.2. Levis of KY and Noland of USCe had ratings of 82.9 and 64.9, respectively.
What is most concerning is that, given Heupel's track record, you would expect that the one player he could choose with unerring accuracy would be the best to start at QB. If Milton is the best of the 3 QBs UT has on hand (I for one do not think so), a 4-8 record this year sounds about right.
Compounding the problem is that we Vol fans just went through 2 years of the Pruitt/Guarantano QB drama. The last thing our new HC needs is a QB controversy. If we lose the Pitt game with Milton still at QB, and fans perceive that his play cost us the game, Heupel will definitely be off on the wrong foot at UT.

Well said on all-- I am just flummoxed at how Heupel, known as a QB guru, even brought Milton on campus knowing of his faulty mechanics at Michigan, and why Hooker or Bailey didn't take meaningful snaps after Milton struggled.

Milton's passing efficiency ranking was 80th at 112. Pitt's QB, Pickett, was 35th at 152.
NCAA College Football FBS current individual Stats | NCAA.com

Well said on all-- I am just flummoxed at how Heupel, known as a QB guru, even brought Milton on campus knowing of his faulty mechanics at Michigan, and why Hooker or Bailey didn't take meaningful snaps after Milton struggled.

Milton's passing efficiency ranking was 80th at 112. Pitt's QB, Pickett, was 35th at 152.
NCAA College Football FBS current individual Stats | NCAA.com
Pickett is a 4 year starting qb for Pitt who will play in pros. He is very good. We will need to pressure him to have a chance.

You guys are losers. Have you forgotten the 2019 Bama game? What about the 2015 Bama game? We had a chance to win both games and on paper we had no business being in those games. And we have given Georgia hell many times when they should have killed us on paper. If our offense starts clicking and we stay healthy anything could happen. That's why they play the games.
Heupel is trying to recruit guys that aren’t afraid of battling. Pruitt’s squads quit on him repeatedly.

VN Store

Back