Let’s play Nico

Let’s commit to this kid. Let him learn as he goes. It can’t be any worse. Milton is a good guy but he was cut by Michigan, lost job to HH and now he trying again with the same old issues. For every one good pass there are many misses. Look. I guarantee there are tons of guys on campus that can throw a football a country mile and throw it 90 MPH but they aren’t playing because they can’ t place it with consistency. Why HOPE for something that just isn’t going to happen. I would rather put the ball in the kids hands knowing that we have him as our starter for the next few years hopefully. Although the scary part is the portal.
Nico needed reps against Virginia and AP, but Joe couldn't get enough separation. Hooker would have had him in 2nd series of the 3rd lol

Guess some of you guys missed Nico high and off target throws in the number of videos that got posted before the season starts.
He comes in and does that and here goes the "We paid $8million for this?" talk.
Milton wasn't sharp yesterday but even those behind passes where catchable, if you want to make it as a WR you're gonna have to pull them in when they hit your hands like that. Still not sure Milton wasn't hurt after Austin Peay guy hit him on the ground during that slide. Probably won't find out.
Either way we still won and we're 8.5 favorite against FL.
GBO

Reactions: papatomany
Nico needed reps against Virginia and AP, but Joe couldn't get enough separation. Hooker would have had him in 2nd series of the 3rd lol

Newsflash: Hooker is gone and in the NFL, thanks to the brilliant job that Heupel did in developing him over the course of two seasons. Hooker came in here with a ton of question marks, and left here a QB who might have won the Heisman and would have been a 1st round pick had he not gotten injured.

Milton is a different QB with different WR's. Heupel will figure out how to maximize what he does well and minimize his weaknesses, but he may very well not be the QB that Hooker was and this team might have to find different ways to win than scoring 50 pts. a game.

One thing is for sure, and that is that Milton's inaccuracy wasn't the sole cause of yesterday. The WR's couldn't hold onto the ball, and the defense couldn't tackle or get off the field. The idea that starting Nico right now will cure all the issues this team has is the height of fantasy.

Let’s commit to this kid. Let him learn as he goes. It can’t be any worse. Milton is a good guy but he was cut by Michigan, lost job to HH and now he trying again with the same old issues. For every one good pass there are many misses. Look. I guarantee there are tons of guys on campus that can throw a football a country mile and throw it 90 MPH but they aren’t playing because they can’ t place it with consistency. Why HOPE for something that just isn’t going to happen. I would rather put the ball in the kids hands knowing that we have him as our starter for the next few years hopefully. Although the scary part is the portal.
We are 2-0, not 0-2.

Newsflash: Hooker is gone and in the NFL, thanks to the brilliant job that Heupel did in developing him over the course of two seasons. Hooker came in here with a ton of question marks, and left here a QB who might have won the Heisman and would have been a 1st round pick had he not gotten injured.

Milton is a different QB with different WR's. Heupel will figure out how to maximize what he does well and minimize his weaknesses, but he may very well not be the QB that Hooker was and this team might have to find different ways to win than scoring 50 pts. a game.

One thing is for sure, and that is that Milton's inaccuracy wasn't the sole cause of yesterday. The WR's couldn't hold onto the ball, and the defense couldn't tackle or get off the field. The idea that starting Nico right now will cure all the issues this team has is the height of fantasy.

Thanks captain obvious...... The wr dropped a few, but any wr is bound to drop a ball. I really only remember 1 GOOD dropped ball, the rest hit gloves, but they were bad throws. The wr also bailed Milton out on a few horrible throws, so there's that. The fact we had to dumb the game down to screen passes to settle our 6th year sr qb down against a team that got blown out by Southern Illinois is NOT a good sign. I don't care how you try to spin it. IF Nico can't do better than that, we're back up the sht creek, but none of us know what we have in Nico, do we? We see freshman qbs come in every year and ball out at a high level. Why can't it be us? Especially in this offense and thre #1qb.

Milton is an inaccurate head case that is going to cost us some games and a lot of embarrassment. Good backup when we're up 5 tds, horrible starter that can't carry the team.

Thanks captain obvious...... The wr dropped a few, but any wr is bound to drop a ball. I really only remember 1 GOOD dropped ball, the rest hit gloves, but they were bad throws. The wr also bailed Milton out on a few horrible throws, so there's that. The fact we had to dumb the game down to screen passes to settle our 6th year sr qb down against a team that got blown out by Southern Illinois is NOT a good sign. I don't care how you try to spin it. IF Nico can't do better than that, we're back up the sht creek, but none of us know what we have in Nico, do we? We see freshman qbs come in every year and ball out at a high level. Why can't it be us? Especially in this offense and thre #1qb.

Milton is an inaccurate head case that is going to cost us some games and a lot of embarrassment. Good backup when we're up 5 tds, horrible starter that can't carry the team.

Ummm….

Considering Heupel sees Nico in practice every day, I think he has a pretty good indication where we stand.

The stats aren’t why people are disappointed. It’s the inability to complete a pass to the middle of the field. The overwhelming majority of his completions yesterday were swings and screens.
and the majority of those passes touched the receivers hand...so they need to catch it....and the stats overall are NFL HOF averages...

Ummm….

Considering Heupel sees Nico in practice every day, I think he has a pretty good indication where we stand.
Relax, coaches see Nico in practice just like they see Joe in practice. Trust the coaches. Theres proof that they know what they are doing. This was just a sloppy game. i remember when we played UMASS a few years ago. It was worse than this.

Well, I'm sure preventing you from being embarrassed is at the top of Heupel's concerns this week. And if it isn't, his priorities are clearly not in order.

This may come as a shock, but this is a different team than last year, and might have to learn to win without scoring 50 pts. a game. Great coaches play to the strengths of their team, and adjust as the talent changes from year to year. This might be a team that wins with a balanced attack and its defense. We will see as the season progresses.

One thing I can guarantee is that Heupel will not fly off the handle after every shaky performance and burn the program down, even if it is the wish of some of the more learned members of this fan base. Milton wasn't sharp, the WR's were bad, and the defense couldn't get off the field, yet we won by three scores. It happens.

Where is the evidence that Milton is a "head case"? The team clearly sees this as his team, and in the two games he has consistently made good reads and the right decisions on where to go with the ball. Yes, he's missed some throws, but he has no picks. Maybe he isn't a QB that will 'carry the team', but with a great running attack and an improved defense, we might not need him to be. Quite frankly, that's a much better way to win, if a bit less exciting.

Here's another guarantee - if it comes down to Nico being thrown in as starter this season, we are then playing for next season, as this one is toast. Anyone rooting for that to happen at this point is a fool. Let's say Heupel was panicked and stupid enough to start Nico this week and he is awful - where are you then? You've lost two QB's mentally in one fell swoop. Fortunately, we have a real coach finally who will figure this out.

Threads on here are quite often just a circle jerk. I suppose it's amusing though to watch people go back and forth. "Let's play Nico", as if we're the coaches. They are playing Milton, it's likely going to be his year all year. We'll see plenty of Nico in the coming seasons.

First start in the Swamp.

That worked out so well the last time.
I understand that argument and maybe it's the correct rationality behind sticking with Milton .... but the coaches clearly don't trust him to throw the ball downfield. Having him out there takes away a chunk of our offense.

It is being mentioned that our WR's weren't getting separation ... but on some plays it was more a case of Milton being late with his throw. We can't win like this.

I understand that argument and maybe it's the correct rationality behind sticking with Milton .... but the coaches clearly don't trust him to throw the ball downfield. Having him out there takes away a chunk of our offense.

It is being mentioned that our WR's weren't getting separation ... but on some plays it was more a case of Milton being late with his throw. We can't win like this.

Unless Heupel told you this directly, I don’t believe it.

Y’all need to settle down on the abandoning Milton talk. He will be fine and we have seen what he is capable of. Just chill a bit lol

Reactions: DrTNT
Unless Heupel told you this directly, I don’t believe it.
LOL.

I arrived at this conclusion on my own, after about the 10th screen pass thrown .... against Austin Peay.

We were never so limited in pass play selection with Hooker in the game last year ... and certainly not against overmatched opponents.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
We need another board for posters after bad games who freak out called Karen’s Korner or Chicken Little’s Coup, where everyone can panic and freak out together. They won’t feel alone, we can get back to rational Football discussion and maybe even coaches can check in on for a good laugh after meetings. Just a thought…

Hey here's an idea. how about We let our head coach decide who plays...Leave Milton alone, Crappy comments are being seen by his family...His mother commented on how VOL fans were turning on him and all he has done is win...Very bad look for our fanbase.

Did Milton get a little banged-up in the game yesterday? I remember them showing Nico warming-up on the sideline at one point in the 3rd quarter, so I’m curious as to what all that was about.

Respectfully disagree. I don’t think Milton is the guy, but I have to think coach knows what he’s doing. We ran a very limited playbook yesterday and we are saving for Florida. If we execute poorly against Florida, I’d call it a mini-rebuilding year and get Nico the snaps.

Reactions: BADGER_VOL

VN Store

Back