Let’s play Nico

Didn't see the game,, followed the score watching the Miss State Arizona game. Was texted by
Someone who saw the game. Said defense
great ,, offense sucks. Jmo,,start Milton against
Florida. If he flops pull him and put Nico in.
I would question the intelligence of anyone that watched that game and told you the defense was great.

He’s woefully inadequate and has a lot of completions. A lot of drops but not 1 interception in years.

That’s gotta be a coincidence

Reactions: Sudden Impact
He’s woefully inadequate and has a lot of completions. A lot of drops but not 1 interception in years.

That’s gotta be a coincidence
He could be a little more accurate but receivers need to do their part as well. Not every throw is going to be perfect

Reactions: DrTNT
Unfortunately in College football players that make plays get to play-players that can't sit! PERIOD. As far as Joe waited for this or whatever? To heck with that noise if he can't make the plays -time to move on. Nico was a 5 star, let him get a shot. For Milton? How about leading a receiver with the ball 20 yards down field when the receiver has a step on a defender instead of throwing it behind or over his head, or actually read a defense and audible out of a bad play. He JUST CAN'T.

Milton’s completion percentage this season and last is 66%. That’s 9 points better than Tee Martin in 98. Tee also threw 37% in the Syracuse and Florida games to open the season, and made lots of bad reads. Tee’s stats are padded by his freak 23 in a row game. Anyway you look at it, a lot of our fans do not understand how the game works. We had bad chemistry against a bad team, and our coach pruned the playbook to lower risk. 66% and no interceptions is good enough to win most games. We need to improve in every facet. We aren’t a great team yet. Throwing Milton under the bus is idiot’s work.

Milton’s completion percentage this season and last is 66%. That’s 9 points better than Tee Martin in 98. Tee also threw 37% in the Syracuse and Florida games to open the season, and made lots of bad reads. Tee’s stats are padded by his freak 23 in a row game. Anyway you look at it, a lot of our fans do not understand how the game works. We had bad chemistry against a bad team, and our coach pruned the playbook to lower risk. 66% and no interceptions is good enough to win most games. We need to improve in every facet. We aren’t a great team yet. Throwing Milton under the bus is idiot’s work.
Serious question. Did you defend jg also?

We have a guy NFL scouts are drooling over, we’re 2-0 out scoring opponents 79-26 and he hasn’t thrown a pic yet. Yes, let’s bench him going into Florida……..good grief

There is a reason people who post on this board aren’t being paid millions to coach SEC Football.

Yep, drive by fans. He ended up 21 of 32 for 228 yards 2 TDs no interceptions. First quarter was 1 of 7 but 6 drops not perfect throws but if you want to play in NFL and you get 2 hands on the ball no matter if its low or high you are expected to catch it.
I agree. His stats are good. How can you pull a kid who is still yet to throw an interception since he's been here? You take the drops away, and he's probably over 300 yds in both games this season. I also am old school in believing that if the ball hits your hands you're supposed to catch it. Hyatt and Tillman make those catches in my opinion. Instead of talking about pulling Milton, we're too deep at receiver to keep putting up with drops.

Speed sure wasn’t the problem yesterday. His ball placement was a little off, but he had 5-7 catchable drops. He makes good choices, checks well, and throws to the right guy 9 out of 10 times. He can put the ball in better spots than yesterday, like he did in the Orange Bowl, but between the what the defense played yesterday, and the drops, he didn’t get many looks at the middle. A big part of the problem was three receivers were held out of practice this week from being banged up. They need to get their timing back, but the receivers also have to catch the ball, and break off routes when they aren’t there.
His ball placement was off period - not a little off and it was largely responsible for the 1 for 7 start. As hard as he throws it - if you throw behind the receiver - it makes it much harder to catch and it brings the db's arms from AP into contact with the ball and the receiver which also happened on some of the passes that the receivers got their hands on. There is also a difference between getting your finger tips at your maximum reach on the ball and dropping a pass. He can do better - he has to do better to win games in the SEC. I was impressed with his show me the money Johnny Manzel impression after his rushing touchdown. That was Austin Peay and we were forced to throw swing paases and screens. What do we do when we play Georgia, Alabama, and Florida?

We have a guy NFL scouts are drooling over, we’re 2-0 out scoring opponents 79-26 and he hasn’t thrown a pic yet. Yes, let’s bench him going into Florida……..good grief
There is merit to your point, but no one in the NFL was drooling over his performance against Austin Peay. He has to play better for us to win against teams in the SEC.

Let’s commit to this kid. Let him learn as he goes. It can’t be any worse. Milton is a good guy but he was cut by Michigan, lost job to HH and now he trying again with the same old issues. For every one good pass there are many misses. Look. I guarantee there are tons of guys on campus that can throw a football a country mile and throw it 90 MPH but they aren’t playing because they can’ t place it with consistency. Why HOPE for something that just isn’t going to happen. I would rather put the ball in the kids hands knowing that we have him as our starter for the next few years hopefully. Although the scary part is the portal.
Let’s play the Freshman WR’s too since I saw they all dropped the ball. Why were at it sit all the OL and let’s play the younguns. I saw Beasley miss a tackle let’s sit him. If they don’t work out let’s play the walkons,

Reactions: MemphisVol77
Milton had some bad passes but 75% of those incompletions were drops by the TE/ WR personnel. Joe gives us the best chance to win right now.

Reactions: volfan102455
Biggest issue in the AP game was that they could not get AP off the field. The first 4 down try that went for a lot of yards set the tone of the day.

I think he deserves ample time to prove himself how many games I'm not sure. Yesterday was rough. If he bombs at Florida Id seriously consider Nico at least a few games down the road at least sharing a half, that said you wait too long well seasons over basically.

Exactly…these are the fans that cause more problems when they get vocal. When it happens in the stands Huepel is going to have a mess on his hands. Worse thing we can do is make Milton’s head worse with our actions and words while the team is still winning and coach is trying to shape the team and players.

But we’ll always have the pocket of fans who feel the best course of action is “panic, freak out, call for massive changes, be a pain in the rump, make things harder on all involved, all while we are still winning.” It’s in their DNA.

It never fails to amaze me how many fans that follow the team and have watched college football for years and years still react to every big win like it's 'CFP playoff or bust' and every loss or lackluster performance like yesterday with total panic and asking for drastic moves.

Anyone with a clue to how programs are built and the different teams grow throughout each season understands that any coach who reacts to every bump in the road by making drastic personnel moves is not long for the job. Players see through these kinds of rash decisions, and any trust in that coach erodes more and more. Recruits see this and look to more stable programs to build their futures.

Yesterday was the classic example of a team looking ahead, and should be seen as a gigantic wakeup call, which no doubt is how CJH and his staff will be addressing it this week. We should be happy it occurred in week two in a game we won by three scores instead of a mid season conference game.

I've been a fan since attending UT in the early '80's, and have to say that other than the late Majors and early Fulmer era, this is the first time I've felt the program is really in good hands and headed in the right direction. Instead of reacting to every bump in the road (of which there will be many) by advocating scorched earth moves, why not have a little faith in a coach who has brought the program back to respectability and who we hope will be here a long time?

It never fails to amaze me how many fans that follow the team and have watched college football for years and years still react to every big win like it's 'CFP playoff or bust' and every loss or lackluster performance like yesterday with total panic and asking for drastic moves.

Anyone with a clue to how programs are built and the different teams grow throughout each season understands that any coach who reacts to every bump in the road by making drastic personnel moves is not long for the job. Players see through these kinds of rash decisions, and any trust in that coach erodes more and more. Recruits see this and look to more stable programs to build their futures.

Yesterday was the classic example of a team looking ahead, and should be seen as a gigantic wakeup call, which no doubt is how CJH and his staff will be addressing it this week. We should be happy it occurred in week two in a game we won by three scores instead of a mid season conference game.

I've been a fan since attending UT in the early '80's, and have to say that other than the late Majors and early Fulmer era, this is the first time I've felt the program is really in good hands and headed in the right direction. Instead of reacting to every bump in the road (of which there will be many) by advocating scorched earth moves, why not have a little faith in a coach who has brought the program back to respectability and who we hope will be here a long time?
This

I'll trust Heupel on this one. He isn't like Butch Jones who was unable to evaluate talent. Heupel is great at evaluating ability, particularly at the quarterback position. The fans calling for Nico to start ahead of Milton are probably the same ones that booed Peyton Manning his freshman season and said that the only reason he was starting over Brandonn Stewart was because of Archie's money. Sure, Milton is inconsistent. He played well against Clemson and poorly against Austin Peay. Heupel is surely aware of Milton's ability and, at times, inability to perform, hence the in-game adjustment to abandon downfield throws against AP to higher percentage throws that Milton could make to move the chains and keep Austin Peay off the field. Heupel has been with Nico every day in practice and has some idea of what he too can and cannot do. If Milton starts, I'm going with the assumption that Tennessee has a better chance of beating Florida with him behind center. Did he play bad against Austin Peay? Yes. But there is a such thing as "even worse," which is why Heupel made the decision to keep himin the game, albeit with shorter throws.

VN Store

Back