Lady Vols Softball Team Game Thread week 8

Perhaps, but she looked like she was taking the whole way and the pitch (iirc) was pretty much down the middle.

If I correctly understand what I've heard Ralph say in the past, Gregg has the green light to hit at anytime no matter the count. If true what that means is it's Gregg that decided to take, not Ralph.

If anyone else knows differently, please post.

Jeff I know that I as well as you have been so proud of SM the last few weeks. She has endured I would suspect so many of emotions these 3 years and has hung in there when many would have quit. She just is not the most skilled player we have and the circle in the outfield looked clumsy. She has made so many great plays as of late I guess we expect her to make the routine ones always. Great competitor and I know loves the game and the team.
No SM or KW is the catcher that Lockman is and may never be but she has got to hit or some young freshman may move her out. I did not look at our recruits to see if we have a good one coming next year but little Shipman from all indication has all the tools to be great. If she is half as good as Madison we should be thrilled.
Always enjoy the dialogue with you even we don't always agree!!:loco::loco:

We actually do have a girl who can catch and hit coming in next season Ashley Morgan...was the GA state player of the year 2 years ago not sure if she got it her senior year...I've met her and talked to her at a softball clinic she is fantastic!...She is a lefty who can also play 1st and she pitches but don't expect her to pitch in college

Texas A&M has the best path to the SEC title. We play them on the road and Florida at home. Our shot at the title would be winning these next two Alabama games and taking down A&M and Florida in the series coming up. A tall order for us but this team has grit and could make it happen.

We actually do have a girl who can catch and hit coming in next season Ashley Morgan...was the GA state player of the year 2 years ago not sure if she got it her senior year...I've met her and talked to her at a softball clinic she is fantastic!...She is a lefty who can also play 1st and she pitches but don't expect her to pitch in college

Thanks!!! That may help solve 2 problems we have at this time the next few years. Left catchers in softball is not that big a deal. I know Florida has one and I saw another team with one but don't remember who it was.
Our first baseman and catcher, need to be able to hit a lick for us and most every team to be successful in the big picture of softball championships. Both of ours are really slow which we can live with if they are hitters. JMHO!:loco::loco:

Thanks!!! That may help solve 2 problems we have at this time the next few years. Left catchers in softball is not that big a deal. I know Florida has one and I saw another team with one but don't remember who it was.
Our first baseman and catcher, need to be able to hit a lick for us and most every team to be successful in the big picture of softball championships. Both of ours are really slow which we can live with if they are hitters. JMHO!:loco::loco:

With as many left handed hitters these days it has become less of a big deal. The pick off at 3 is harder but the po at 1 is easier.

With as many left handed hitters these days it has become less of a big deal. The pick off at 3 is harder but the po at 1 is easier.

I am thinking the left hander catcher the pick off at first is actually harder because the batter is in the LH box. I would bet there are at least 4 to 1 attempts at first more than 3rd. JMHO:loco::loco:

I think Rowland will be a good hitter for us--let's remember this is her first year.

McSwain did no look that good on a couple of balls yesterday--there was the deep fly that she bungled and she was really getting in a routine short fly to left as well--seemed not to pick it up well. On a ball that is behind you, it is best to turn and run back toward the fence, then look up and pick up the ball again--if it is a high fly and not a line drive, you will have time to get your bearings and you can go right or left, or in, comfortably and catch it. When you drift backward trying to keep your eyes on the ball, then you start worrying about the fence, or you stumble and get off balance--this happens a lot. Would be so sweet to get another win today--big game.

Other scores:

Florida beats Kentucky 2-0. Barnhill throws a no-hitter. She may be the best pitcher in the country.

Arkansas beats aTm 4-3! Hot dang, aTm fell into a tie with Florida for the SEC lead after Florida lost yesterday and aTm turns right around and loses themselves today. Goodie!

MSU over Georgia 5-2. Georgia has now lost 11 of their last 14 and are in last place in the conference. How are they staying ranked at 19th?

Auburn over Missouri 6-1.

Win the series vs Bama and LSU, don't get swept vs Florida and A&M...that would put us at 40-11 heading into the SEC tourney and should hopefully be a top 3 in standings...good enough for a national seed?

Win the series vs Bama and LSU, don't get swept vs Florida and A&M...that would put us at 40-11 heading into the SEC tourney and should hopefully be a top 3 in standings...good enough for a national seed?

If what you say happens I would say YES. I would not expect us to get sweep by anyone we play. The bats need to come around and the pitchers need to stay away from the walks which they have done as of late.JMHO:loco::loco:

Reactions: 1 person

You're talking about a 6-6 finish which is what I have been projecting (give or take a game). I don't think that assures a top 3 conference finish depending upon who the 6 losses are to.

In 2016, the top 8 seeds were Florida, Michigan, Oklahoma, Auburn, Oregon, Alabama, JMU, and FSU. That list included the top 3 SEC teams. So I would say the possibility is good of getting a top 8 seed if TN finishes in the top 3 in the conference this season. But to do so I think requires a better than 6-6 finish.

Auburn is the wild card for TN because TN doesn't play them. Auburn is two games back in the loss column and they finish with SC, MSU, and Alabama at 'bama. They could easily finish 7-2, have a 17-7 conference record and end up with a better record than TN's 15-9 record and finish 3rd in the standings.

If Auburn does so, and TN loses 2 of 3 to aTm, TN finishes no better than 4th place and won't get a national seed IMO.

Reactions: 1 person
Her curve ball is never a strike come on ladies!! Her back door curve that's another story but that curve ball to the righty batters she is always going away! Lockman and McSwain have to know that by now

We will start the bottom of the 6th with McClain, leach, and holcomb....they will get the hit parade going

Littlejohn, more than any pitcher I've watched this year, is hard to understand why she is so tough. She rarely throws a ball above the waist so you can ignore that and concentrate on down pitches. Her curveball moves away some but it doesn't really change plane much. And what I assume is her fastball, the pitch she throws the most, has a screwball spin on it but doesn't look like it move at all. The commentators keep talking about her spin. With the exception of her curve, her ball doesn't look like it moves that much. She can't throw it by anybody and she doesn't change speeds that much. Why is she so tough to hit? We have let 30 pitches go by tonite at about 62 MPH between knee and thigh high with no visible movement. Why aren't we swinging at and crushing that pitch?

VN Store

Back