Lady Vols Softball Team Game Thread week 8

The patience the Tennessee hitters had against the Bama pitchers today was unreal....for the most part stayed away from the rise ball and waited on something they could hit

Tremendous game by our Ladies,competing to the end. Arnold deserved a better fate as the winning pitcher. Without the misplayed fly ball,she would have had a shutout,but she pitched great,keeping her team in the game. Way to come back and win!! Now it's on to tomorrow with 17 game winning streak!

It went about like I thought, maybe a little better. I knew Osorio would strike out a bunch of batters but I was hoping she would walk just as many which was the case.

As far as I'm concerned though the difference was Arnold, I saw Arnold in California and knew then she was going to be pretty special.

It's just one win, but a pretty big one.

Whew!

How will this affect their ranking? Or not matter until the series is over? If they go 2-1? A sweep would be massive, doubt that would happen.

They have such a hard schedule, still don't understand how that is decided.

Great pitching job. Should have been a 7 inning shutout. So glad the girls could come back for the victory.

Huge win! Seggern is clutch. Arnold was great. We are tough on opposing pitchers. Let's win tomorrow.

If you're Alabama you shake this off and forget it. It was a game they almost won on the road in front of a big crowd. They could still easily come back and win games two and three.

Huge win! Seggern is clutch. Arnold was great. We are tough on opposing pitchers. Let's win tomorrow.

I said at the beginning of the year Seggern would be an All-American before her career is over and Arnold is the real deal.

The key for Tennessee going forward is to not get too excited over this win. They're on a 17-game winning streak and maybe they've forgotten what it's like to lose.

They have to understand what it takes to keep winning, the hard work necessary that is part of the process. Young teams quite often get too high or too low. I hope that doesn't happen for tomorrow's game.

The key for Tennessee going forward is to not get too excited over this win. They're on a 17-game winning streak and maybe they've forgotten what it's like to lose.

They have to understand what it takes to keep winning, the hard work necessary that is part of the process. Young teams quite often get too high or too low. I hope that doesn't happen for tomorrow's game.

I think the grit they showed coming back to keep the winning streak going impressed me more...they wanted to win....Arnold now that it will stay warm should have no problems pitching...as Karen said during the broadcast she just has to trust her spin...which she did

If you're Alabama you shake this off and forget it. It was a game they almost won on the road in front of a big crowd. They could still easily come back and win games two and three.

you are not very optimistic, are you? We've got a good team. We could easily win the next two games as well. I did not see the game--but my sense is that we've got a better lineup than bama. They had the experienced star pitcher, we had a freshmen, and we had twice their number of hits, and I think, even against their good pitching, that we can hit better. These are all good teams, and the games tend to be tight. We are good at keeping pressure on opposing pitchers/defenses. Let's get the W tomorrow.

Reactions: 2 people
you are not very optimistic, are you?...

Are you kidding? I extolled this team's potential well before anyone else did (except perhaps Vols4life who also knew they would be good).

When posters lamented the lack of SEC-caliber pitching I rolled my eyes. When posters pooh-poohed Ralph and his in-game moves and said "I told you so" after the bad Arkansas series, I said be patient.

What I am is a realist. Alabama, LSU, Florida, and aTm aren't South Carolina, Arkansas, Ole Miss, or Kentucky. And their are 11 more to go - 6 of them on the road.

I would leave Taylor Rowland on the bench tomorrow and let Vines play first and Holcomb in leftfield. McSwain as the DP. Seggren looked bad on the strike out with bases loaded but she redeemed herself for the error and that SO. It is too bad that we still do not have a catcher that can come close to being a hitter. Lockman looks like a deer in the headlights on practically every pitch. I was hoping Weimer was going to take that position tonight when she pinch hit but she whiffed as well. Vines is just a sophomore but she is and will be a special player for us. I would let KW catch tomorrow but I think it will be Lockman.

Reactions: 1 person
aTm beats Arkansas 3-2. There were 6 total errors in the game.

Kentucky over Florida 5-1. Gourley with the complete-game loss. Florida with an uncharacteristic 2 errors. Florida and aTm now tied in the loss column with 2 apiece.

Ole Miss over LSU 3-2 sweeping that series!

Auburn over Missouri 5-4.

I would leave Taylor Rowland on the bench tomorrow and let Vines play first and Holcomb in leftfield. McSwain as the DP. Seggren looked bad on the strike out with bases loaded but she redeemed herself for the error and that SO. It is too bad that we still do not have a catcher that can come close to being a hitter. Lockman looks like a deer in the headlights on practically every pitch. I was hoping Weimer was going to take that position tonight when she pinch hit but she whiffed as well. Vines is just a sophomore but she is and will be a special player for us. I would let KW catch tomorrow but I think it will be Lockman.

I agree about Rowland. She has better instincts at 1st than does Vines, but nowhere near the athleticism.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised McSwain started in left - after all she had the great Kentucky series. But still I am surprised. Scarlet has her moments, but the way she played tonight is emblematic of her last two seasons. Holcomb can't hit for power and McSwain occasionally can. But I would have played Holcomb.

As for Lockman, neither McSwain nor Weimer can throw from her knees and nail a base-stealer. I, too, wish she could hit.

Here are the standings:

Florida....................14-2
Texas A&M..............11-2
Tennessee..............10-3
Auburn....................9-5
Alabama................10-6
LSU.........................8-7
Kentucky..................6-8
Ole Miss....................6-9
Missouri....................5-8
Mississippi State........5-9
Arkansas..................4-13
Georgia....................3-11
South Carolina..........3-11

I agree about Rowland. She has better instincts at 1st than does Vines, but nowhere near the athleticism.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised McSwain started in left - after all she had the great Kentucky series. But still I am surprised. Scarlet has her moments, but the way she played tonight is emblematic of her last two seasons. Holcomb can't hit for power and McSwain occasionally can. But I would have played Holcomb.

As for Lockman, neither McSwain nor Weimer can throw from her knees and nail a base-stealer. I, too, wish she could hit.
Jeff I know that I as well as you have been so proud of SM the last few weeks. She has endured I would suspect so many of emotions these 3 years and has hung in there when many would have quit. She just is not the most skilled player we have and the circle in the outfield looked clumsy. She has made so many great plays as of late I guess we expect her to make the routine ones always. Great competitor and I know loves the game and the team.
No SM or KW is the catcher that Lockman is and may never be but she has got to hit or some young freshman may move her out. I did not look at our recruits to see if we have a good one coming next year but little Shipman from all indication has all the tools to be great. If she is half as good as Madison we should be thrilled.
Always enjoy the dialogue with you even we don't always agree!!:loco::loco:

Lockman is a good catcher and her hitting has improved. She had a bad strikeout in a big situation tonight--but Osorio is a very good pitcher. Needed a little more discipline. Rowland at least got her bat on the ball in a key spot with the grounder to first--and we tied the game on that play. A helluva lot better than another strikeout.

I thought it was interesting that Karen said our hitters were passive in the first five innings. I didn't see that at all. We are a very disciplined team at the plate--our players work the count very well--and sometimes you will look passive when you are taking pitches. But it works for us--we draw walks and we wear out opposing pitchers. Geer's walk started our 6th inning rally.

I thought the home plate umpire was great in this game--maybe the best I've ever seen in collegiate softball. He had a good strike zone, a fair zone--and he was extremely consistent. He is good. I also liked the color commentator--a former AA pitcher. She is good. Good game, great win.

Gregg continues to take 3-0 pitches right down the middle of the plate with runners on base, and I continue to wonder why she doesn't take a rip. Good grief--you are one of the best hitters in the country, if the pitch is in your zone, belt it and drive in some runs. She usually ends up drawing a walk--but we need a big hit, and I've seen multiple times when the pitcher has grooved one on 3-0 and she takes the strike. It happened tonight in either the 6th or 7th with runners on second and third. You don't want to be overeager and swing at a bad pitch--but when it is a belt high fast ball...that's a good a pitch as you're going to get. It is perhaps an instance of being too disciplined--but then one can hardly complain about Gregg!

VN Store

Back