Lady Vols Softball Team Game Thread week 8

She now has 61 RBIs. There are 13 regular season games left, let's say they play two games in the SEC tournament and 5 games in the NCAA tournament that's 20 games. She needs to average a little less than one rbi per game to get the record.

But the pitching will be better on average from here on out and they have to get on before she can drive them in. Team batting average is .344 overall but .275 in conference games against the 4 weaker teams on the schedule. She has 10 RBI in 12 conference games so far. They will be tougher to come by from here on out I would think

What is Morrison's problem, if that's the word? Is it just control--or something more? It's a shame she hasn't developed, but the Weeklys are a bit odd when it comes to certain pitchers. They just don't give them ANY robe. I mean, was it really necessary to pull Morrison in a game we were likely to win by run rule? Why not let her keep pitching? You can't work out your issues if the coaches are always yanking you quickly.

She will probably transfer after the season is over...going down a division or another tier to an FCS school maybe will help her out....hopefully the weeklys can convince an instate pitcher to walkon next season....it will be moss, arnold, and sprang as the top 3

Doubt it.

Reactions: 1 person
I knew a guy named Jim Morrison once in Tn. he was a neighbor. He asked me to drive over to NC once to help him load up a horse and take it to Athens, Tn. He neglected to tell me that the horse had been locked up in a stall for over 2 years. When we got there , he said that we'd have to give the horse a shot of dope to calm him down. Then, he said "you do it, I don't know how" LOL.

Well, I knew how! I grabbed that poor horse by the halter and gave him a shot in like 2 seconds. Took about 10 minutes for him to get sleepy. The barn was down a steep incline from the road and since it had rained the grass was slick. Once the horse was in the trailer, his ranchero pickup didn't have traction enough to get up the hill. We had to unload the horse, work like hell to get the truck and trailer back to the road . Then I tried to load the horse again who in the meantime had begun to reawaken. I got it done somehow, though Jim got a few hundred cuss words sent in his direction for getting me into such a mess. We drove to Athens, dropped the horse out into a big pasture with a couple other horses . That was that.

I found out later on that that horse was a former racehorse involved in a insurance scam.
And, I never got paid a dime for helping him. LOL

The series with Bama will be Saturday, Sunday, and Monday they have the pitching so we'll see how we fare against probably the second best pitching in the league. I would look for some low scoring games hopefully we make that untrue and do something like we did to Auburn last year.

Off-topic but I just finished watching the #2 Florida State versus #3 Florida game.

Florida wins in the bottom of the seventh on a walk-off single 1 to 0.

As I suspected it would be it was a pitchers duel between Jessica Burroughs of Florida State and Delanie Gourley and Kelly Barnhill of Florida.

The Florida State coach made what I consider to be an absolute boneheaded move by removing Burrows their ace in the bottom of the seventh and replacing her with a sophomore. The new pitcher promptly allows two base runners and then the walk-off single that gets the win 1 to 0 for Florida.

What did you think of the florida and florida state offensively, Jeff? I guess with the excellent pitchers involved it was hard to get a read, yes? One thing I like about our team is that we can be pretty hard on pitchers and defenses--working the count, drawing walks (a lot of walks), getting infield hits. We'll need to be hard on pitchers if we expect to win the next four series. Scoring 1 or 2 runs may not do it.

I saw where Gregg is one of 34 finalists for college player of the year--and very well deserved. She should be in the final 10--but there are a lot of good pitchers in the group and some very good hitters as well. LSU has a player--Bailey--who is hitting more than .500--which is crazy--but then short base paths really skew hitting stats upward for kids with speed. College softball batting averages probably average 100 points higher than college baseball.

I'd have to think Arizona is the favorite to win it all this year. That team has 4 players with 10 or more home runs--and another player with 8. And I think the've got a couple of good pitchers as well--5 players among the 34 named for player of the year. An opposing pitcher could throw a good game against Zona and yet still give up a couple of home runs and lose the game, say, 5-2.

What did you think of the florida and florida state offensively, Jeff? I guess with the excellent pitchers involved it was hard to get a read, yes?...

Florida is a better hitting team this season than they were in either of their two World Series Championship seasons. But they're not quite as good a hitting team as Georgia or Tennessee is. They hit mostly for average and not for power.

Florida state is a much better hitting team and they hit for both power and average, they had a couple of run scoring opportunities in last night's game and just couldn't come through with it. On one play the Florida outfielder made a great throw from the outfield to cut down a Florida state runner at home plate.

It will be very difficult for Tennessee to win a single game against Florida in that series.

What did you think of the florida and florida state offensively, Jeff? I guess with the excellent pitchers involved it was hard to get a read, yes? One thing I like about our team is that we can be pretty hard on pitchers and defenses--working the count, drawing walks (a lot of walks), getting infield hits. We'll need to be hard on pitchers if we expect to win the next four series. Scoring 1 or 2 runs may not do it.

I saw where Gregg is one of 34 finalists for college player of the year--and very well deserved. She should be in the final 10--but there are a lot of good pitchers in the group and some very good hitters as well. LSU has a player--Bailey--who is hitting more than .500--which is crazy--but then short base paths really skew hitting stats upward for kids with speed. College softball batting averages probably average 100 points higher than college baseball.

I'd have to think Arizona is the favorite to win it all this year. That team has 4 players with 10 or more home runs--and another player with 8. And I think the've got a couple of good pitchers as well--5 players among the 34 named for player of the year. An opposing pitcher could throw a good game against Zona and yet still give up a couple of home runs and lose the game, say, 5-2.

I still think Florida and Florida State are the two best teams in the country....Arizona is great but they really have to rely on O'toole they have an offense but it can be shut down

Off-topic but I just finished watching the #2 Florida State versus #3 Florida game.

Florida wins in the bottom of the seventh on a walk-off single 1 to 0.

As I suspected it would be it was a pitchers duel between Jessica Burroughs of Florida State and Delanie Gourley and Kelly Barnhill of Florida.

The Florida State coach made what I consider to be an absolute boneheaded move by removing Burrows their ace in the bottom of the seventh and replacing her with a sophomore. The new pitcher promptly allows two base runners and then the walk-off single that gets the win 1 to 0 for Florida.

I watched the first 3 innings on the replay. Gourley's changeup is a beast. That thing is thigh high 15 feet from the plate and bounces on the plate. And they couldn't lay off it. She made a lot of batters look silly.

I still think Florida and Florida State are the two best teams in the country....Arizona is great but they really have to rely on O'toole they have an offense but it can be shut down

Oh I definitely think Florida is one of the best if not the best team in the country. I hadn't seen Florida State until last night, and they're definitely top 5 material. They have a better balance of hitting and pitching than Florida does. But they may be suspect at pitching after Burrows, not sure of that.

I think Florida State has lost only two games all year, and the funny thing is both were to SEC teams. LOL

I watched the first 3 innings on the replay. Gourley's changeup is a beast. That thing is thigh high 15 feet from the plate and bounces on the plate. And they couldn't lay off it. She made a lot of batters look silly.

Yep. It's just the opposite of a rise ball. It comes right down the middle thigh high and instead of rising to come under your chin it just drops and hits the plate as you said. The key I think is to understand when she's going to throw it. If you can get some idea of when she's going to throw it either early in the count late in the count early in the game late in the game then you give yourself half a chance to try to hit the pitch that's not the change-up.

VN Store

Back