Knox radio guys questioning Butchs personailty

Hearing stories that my brother (who is on the team) tells me, I kinda feel as if Butch has untreated bipolar disorder. That probably has something to do with it.

Hearing stories that my brother (who is on the team) tells me, I kinda feel as if Butch has untreated bipolar disorder. That probably has something to do with it.

How does the team feel about Butch?

How about some stories to provide context to your statement?

More like he is a good guy one minute.. Then catches a player doing something stupid a chews them out the next.

With 85+ testosterone raging 18 to 23 year olds.. I bet his fuse is short..

Considering the number of "legacy" recruits coming in, I find their argument to be a big fail. Those ex-players know exactly how Butch behaves in practice and in dealing with players, and they're happy for their own kids to play for Butch.

This is an excellent point

I'm pretty sure it would be obvious if that were the case. He's very visible and you can't easily hide the depressive symptoms.

There is a huge difference between having bipolar disorder and getting fired up/hard coaching.

When my son joined the Marines I went up to the Drill Sargeant and told him that I didn't care what he did to my son as long as he became a Marine.

I feel exactly the same about Butch.

Whatever it takes to make men out of our players Butch, whatever it takes!!:good!:

Hmmmm.
I have several family members that are bipolar.
I see nothing in Butchs public persona to suggest that.
Of course, I don't know how he is with the team.

Your post is a little disturbing.
Most bipolars must be medicated to have a normal life.
I would love for you to give us some specific examples of stories that your brother has told you that exemplify bipolar behavior.

How the hell do you know? You said yhat you kinda feel he has bipolar disorder, but you're not there. Are you just guessing through your brother (which I doubt because anyone can claim they have a brother on the team while on Volnation). If you are for real, tell us who your brother is. MZ Terry told us and we know that Travis Stephens is on here. So tell us who your brother is.

When I was 23, I had a boss named Charlie Babb. One morning after I had worked a 13 hour shift and was filthy from helping fix a machine, he caught me in the office. I had missed a production change over on a different machine line in part because I didn't know how to know when to change. He bluntly told me that if I didn't get my head out of my a$$ he was going to f'ing fire me. He chewed me for about 10 minutes before telling me to go home. I'd never been talked to like that even in military training.

Do you know how many times I made that mistake or even one like it? Just that once. By the time he was transferred about a year later, he recommended me to replace him.

That isn't everyone's style. It isn't mine. But it is effective for some people... who really do care about those who work for them. Your friends aren't always those who flatter and coddle you. Your enemies aren't always those who criticize and scold you.

Those last two lines are award worthy... Or tshirt
worthy. Either way, awesome.

He has a strong personality so I'm sure it can come off a little abrasive to some people, but those personality traits which might drive some away are the same ones that give him that energy and aura that attract so many top players...lots of kids want to play for a coach that won't always tell you what you want to hear, and they want a coach that will push them to not only be better football players but also better people. You can't make everyone around you happy, and the same applies to the coach-player dynamic.

Championship caliber programs and players are NOT developed in comfortable or easy training programs....

CBJ has continually said that he is attempting to develop mental toughness in his players--and nothing does that more effectively than adverse circumstances and suffering in unfair circumstances...which, by the way, also serves to build team unity and an esprit de corps. If they quit in the weight room, or on the practice field, or under some "cussing"...they won't endure the rigors of an SEC schedule, which is much more severe than just suffering some cussing in practice.

There's nothing fair about being a Head Coach and having your ability and competence evaluated by what 18-22 year old young men do both on and off the field.

CBJ has been hired to produce Champions on the football field and in the classroom--not politically correctness. And, contrary to contemporary dogma--the PLAYERS must learn to adapt to the COACHES! It's called RESPECT...they don't get to demand anything!

If they refuse to do that, then they are responsible for counting themselves unworthy of being a VFL and are at fault--not the coaches.

Wearing the Orange and White, running through the T, and being adopted into the VOL family as a VFL is a privilege and honor--and the price of admission is very costly....ante up or adios!

:salute:

Reactions: 2 people

Prob why he was in doghouse if he thinks he has bipolar disorder. Butch is intense but he is obviously doing something right. This program is headed in the right direction after two people failed miserably

I've known a few people with clinical bipolar disorder and in my experience it doesn't manifest with fits of rage but with bouts of deep depression. No way someone could be a HC at a power five school and work through the dark side of that condition.

Probably has more to do with the fact Butch is a perfectionist and goes nuts when players make same mistakes or are not giving their all. We have all seen Butch's passion during games when a ref, coach or player makes a mistake. I am just glad we have a coach who cares. I'm sure he is tough on the team but they will appreciate it when they are winning.

Most good coaches are perceived as dicks by a lot of people....Meyer, Saban, Belichick, etc..

Nice guys finish last..

VN Store

Back