Knox radio guys questioning Butchs personailty

We don't know what goes on in the lockeroom but man it seems like players are always leaving anymore. Don't understand why there is so much of a turnover with players in the program the last few years.

The main reason was Butch brought in two of every position and said come in and compete. The ones who left felt they were starters but could see the writing on the wall - really not hard to understand.

Screw being nice just win. I'd say the majority of players love jones style. He is just weeding out the guys that can't handle it. the first two years was about creating a culture and setting the foundation. Now that it is set he can maybe afford to lighten up slightly and let player police themselves more. He couldn't do that first two years.

A kinder and gentler Butch? How about some tougher, non-prima-donna players.

exactly! We don't need a kinder gentler Butch, we need the CBJ we have, a coach who tells it like it is without playing to the media like CNS (who is a whiny little liar BTW). When he needs to speak he does, and when he needs to act, he does!

Reactions: 1 person
I'm not exaggerating, but the guys that come on after Swain might be some of the worst I've ever heard.

Most knowledgeable football people probably dismiss this nonsense of Butch's personality and coaching style. Butch inherited not just a hollow roster, but also a culture of complacency and indifference. He needed non-Sec level players to play above their talent capabilities. There was a noticeable lack of focus in the offseason strength program as well as the summer/ offseason workouts. The task of turning this around was substantial. Those who didn't want to dedicate themselves 150% to the team simply needed to leave. And they did, thankfully. Has Butch been tough on the players? Yes. Was it needed? Definitely yes. Was it too much or over the top? In the opinion of those who wanted everything given to them rather that earn it, yes. It's interesting, that the guys who have left because they were recruited over and wanted playing time, haven't said anything about Butch's coaching style. Only the dead beats have complained.

Butch spoke here in Nashville this past winter and said "the culture had to be changed at Tennessee; many of the players had accomplished all they wanted just getting to Tennessee. It cant be just that. They must have the desire to succeed at Tennessee"

Even though some of these are kids CBJ signed, every coach finds out later some kids at age 18 don't want to work or be pushed to get better. CBJ knows his ass is fired if everyone accepts where they are now. Im glad guys like Sawyer and others have left...

Knox sports radio = the worst

I find Knoxville radio pertaining to sports to be very informative,The sports animal would be 100% improved it if they could do something with Heather Harrington in the morning. She's an idiot and knows very little about anything and probably should be on some TV talkshow in the morning. Miss Tennessee sports radio network a lot though.

Butch spoke here in Nashville this past winter and said "the culture had to be changed at Tennessee; many of the players had accomplished all they wanted just getting to Tennessee. It cant be just that. They must have the desire to succeed at Tennessee"

Even though some of these are kids CBJ signed, every coach finds out later some kids at age 18 don't want to work or be pushed to get better. CBJ knows his ass is fired if everyone accepts where they are now. Im glad guys like Sawyer and others have left...

CBJ has stated that one of the things he gives weight to when recruiting is that a player has played on a championship team in high school.

I see that as a pretty good filter - it shows desire, and they know how to win. Can get you past what is stated above.

Perhaps Butch should give out hugs before every practice so people don't get their feelings hurt

Great idea....then right after practice CBJ could host a big tickle / pillow fight with the players. After that serve lemonade and grilled cheese sandwiches. :crazy:

Great idea....then right after practice CBJ could host a big tickle / pillow fight with the players. After that serve lemonade and grilled cheese sandwiches. :crazy:

Freshly squeezed lemonade and Colby, cheddar, mozzarella grilled cheese sandwiches are awesome!

This is typical in this turned upside down country. We have to be politically correct, appease, talk kindly, let people not take responsibility, try not to offend etc.....and the sickening thing is the media colluding to go along with this idiocy. Some people need to grow the f up including some writers.

A kinder and gentler Butch? How about some tougher, non-prima-donna players.

Yeah I am tired of years gone by of these players with the you owe me attitude or I am above the TEAM!! attitude. I wouldn't think he is to hard... The players that seem to put in the effort aren't complaining.. You don't see Maggitt, or Hurd, or Dobbs saying he's to ruff... Suck it up cupcakes!! Your in the SEC and at Tennessee!!! its a tough road to the top men and sometimes to get up that road it takes a few cracks of the whip at not a pat on the ass..

Reactions: 2 people
This is typical in this turned upside down country. We have to be politically correct, appease, talk kindly, let people not take responsibility, try not to offend etc.....and the sickening thing is the media colluding to go along with this idiocy. Some people need to grow the f up including some writers.

God yes, all the "talking kindly" in this country really drives me up the wall.

I know the newer postes are going to lynch me for this, but I swear it seems like the younger generation is either weak as @#$# or very easily offended. The HBO segment on the "everyone gets a trophy" generation is pretty damn telling.

And which generation is giving them the trophies? They didn't get that way by themselves.

Reactions: 3 people
Back in the day, Bear Bryant had a couple of players who had decided that they'd had enough get up in the middle of the night, pack their belongings and slip out the back door of the house they were bunking in and sneak off down a back road. One was a high school All-American QB. The team manager, who slept in the kitchen woke up Bryant and asked him if he wanted him to run down the road and bring them back. Bryant said "Yeah, why don't you go do that so I can run them off myself."

CSB

Didn't catch their names.
The guys who come on after Swain on WVLZ were talking about the Justin Martin rumor.
They talked about all of the players that have left in the last few years.
They claimed to have talked to several players that said they didn't leave because of playing time but because they didn't like Butchs personality.
Anybody else hearing this kind of thing?
They also said that the common thinking about those that leave is that they are just "too soft" for this program now.
But they said that Is not true with most.
They would like to see a little kinder and gentler Butch and there will be fewer transfers.
Not really sure how I feel about this.

Butch is all about competition. Its not his job to make everyone happy, but it is his job to win football games.

Didn't catch their names.
The guys who come on after Swain on WVLZ were talking about the Justin Martin rumor.
They talked about all of the players that have left in the last few years.
They claimed to have talked to several players that said they didn't leave because of playing time but because they didn't like Butchs personality.
Anybody else hearing this kind of thing?
They also said that the common thinking about those that leave is that they are just "too soft" for this program now.
But they said that Is not true with most.
They would like to see a little kinder and gentler Butch and there will be fewer transfers.
Not really sure how I feel about this.

Simple translation - "Sometimes our station manager yells at us because we suck, we would like to see people stop yelling."

VN Store

Back