Knox radio guys questioning Butchs personailty

Swain told the story about the first meeting with his freshman class after he got on campus. Fulmer addressed the group and told them they were no longer being recruited! Like an earlier poster said, life is tough, football is tougher. If you can't take heat from a coach in practice, you can't be trusted when the game's on the line in front of 100,000+ fans.

Do enjoy listening to Swain if he could just get his know nothing partner to shut up occasionally.

Last edited:
I recently watched a video that showed fall camp before the 2008 season and Fulmer just looked completely uninterested. Slowly walking around from position group to position group, talking to players in a conversational tone, cheering and applauding everyone.

That coupled with the off-field problems pointed to an overall laxness on discipline that contributed heavily to his end.

It's been well documented that some of the players don't like they way they've been cussed and screamed at by Jones. Some of this kids have always been the best at their school/team and others have never been dog cussed for missing class or a block. Jmo

So if they are not performing to their potential.. they should still get a trophy for participating? :huh:

Attachments

• part troph.jpg
    part troph.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: 2 people
If notice how some idiots use every thread to take a shot at a first ballot HOF coach who is still the 2nd best coach in UT history. Fulmer must have snubbed the guy's autograph request.

Reactions: 4 people
Those guys had the reputation from everyone around them that they never verbally attacked a player. I'm not saying they never yelled at a guy, but they kept it clean. Same goes for Gus Malzahn

I doubt Butch is out there "attacking players". There's a world of difference between telling a player he's a piece of sh!t and telling a player he's playing like sh!t.

Malzahn is no saint, by the way. I can assure you of that. He gets after it with the best of them.

I've heard stories about Bear Bryant and how tough he could be, but today you get jail for spanking the kids?

My favorite Bear Bryant quote: "If a man is a quitter, I'd rather find out in practice than in a game. I ask for all a player has so I'll know later what I can expect."

Reactions: 2 people
It's been well documented that some of the players don't like they way they've been cussed and screamed at by Jones. Some of this kids have always been the best at their school/team and others have never been dog cussed for missing class or a block. Jmo

When I was 23, I had a boss named Charlie Babb. One morning after I had worked a 13 hour shift and was filthy from helping fix a machine, he caught me in the office. I had missed a production change over on a different machine line in part because I didn't know how to know when to change. He bluntly told me that if I didn't get my head out of my a$$ he was going to f'ing fire me. He chewed me for about 10 minutes before telling me to go home. I'd never been talked to like that even in military training.

Do you know how many times I made that mistake or even one like it? Just that once. By the time he was transferred about a year later, he recommended me to replace him.

That isn't everyone's style. It isn't mine. But it is effective for some people... who really do care about those who work for them. Your friends aren't always those who flatter and coddle you. Your enemies aren't always those who criticize and scold you.

Reactions: 12 people
No.
They were on about 10:30 this morning.
Same station that Swain is on.
They sounded kind of young.
Might have been UT students.

That's the one and dine show... yeah, a bunch of idiots that ramble on about nothing, I know the one said the other day that he was 18, and a student, wish they'd pull the plug on that show.

You know, we've all heard similar comments but it would be nice if these radio folks would give us some names of who they have allegedly talked with--we know that's not going to happen so they can make comments about what they have been "told", knowing they'll never have to be accountable for it. There's likely some truth in there somewhere but who is telling them this stuff?

Funny thing is that Jones himself said he was tough in his opening team meeting. Watch the video. He said he wanted to know them, love them but he would coach them hard as well. He said that the worst thing that could happen is if one of the players came to him and told him that I wish you would have pushed me harder.

SO this should not be news. He stated it from day 1, just some people, right or wrong, can't handle that style of coaching. Because of that we will always have a few drops here and there.

Watch video at min 2:15-2:30

https://youtu.be/N-vHo7c4yMA

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Didn't catch their names.
The guys who come on after Swain on WVLZ were talking about the Justin Martin rumor.
They talked about all of the players that have left in the last few years.
They claimed to have talked to several players that said they didn't leave because of playing time but because they didn't like Butchs personality.
Anybody else hearing this kind of thing?
They also said that the common thinking about those that leave is that they are just "too soft" for this program now.
But they said that Is not true with most.
They would like to see a little kinder and gentler Butch and there will be fewer transfers.
Not really sure how I feel about this.

Not everyone gets a trophy for playing

For those players that can't take a coach that is tough on them, Obama has openings in his foreign policy team!

Political correctness is for Wimps!

Reactions: 5 people
The guys who come on after Swain on WVLZ were talking about the Justin Martin rumor.
They claimed to have talked to several players that said they didn't leave because of playing time but because they didn't like Butchs personality.
They also said that the common thinking about those that leave is that they are just "too soft" for this program now.
They would like to see a little kinder and gentler Butch and there will be fewer transfers.

"a kinder and gentler Butch"????? My a&&.

Maybe he should tuck all the players in bed at night with milk and cookies while reading The Three Little Pigs to them. Butch is a man on a mission. Get on board or get out of the F'ing way. Go Vols ALL FREAKIN DAY LONG!!! Go Butch Jones!!! :clapping::clapping::clapping:

Reactions: 3 people
A person's personality is not a part of how he acts but to use a Butchism, his "body of work." I see Coach Jones as being intensely genuine and passionate regardless of what he is doing.

It starts with his enthusiasm and approach to recruiting and his sense of the every player as a family member and to making sure that each person be successful at getting a quality education. We know how passionate he is about family.

Then on the field, there is a different kind of passion. I believe he believes that it is a privilege to be at Tennessee with its traditions, educational opportunities, and outstanding football facilities, so what is a player waiting for? I can see that he would nitpick, criticize, blapheme, and calls out players -- and coaches -- for not having his level of intensity which he feels is necessary to achieve their goal. Really, I doubt if few has his intensity. Everyone has to perform at the highest levels all the time to get to where everyone wants to go. And it cannot happen without relentless hard work. Then now one is prouder of the team's accomplishments than he is.

I don't see it in terms of self-aggrandisement either. It is legitimate pride in the young men who achieve their goals. With Butch, a person is all in or not in, there are no degrees of being part of the program. After the rant as is his personality type, he is just as quick to praise. He said it is just like being happy about the accomplishments of one's own children. So he is passionate in selling UT to recruits, passionate in coaching hard and being hardnosed, and passionate about the accomplishments of individuals and the team. Collectively, that is his personality.

Personally, I don't see any dichotomy here.

Reactions: 5 people
It sounds like they are soft. CBJ got to be hard core on the field, maybe can be nice in the office, but the field, everybody should be on edge and taking it all personal.... I want 100% from a 4 star, rather than a 5 star dogging it at 90%. It's all about respect, it's hard to respect the guy that's not putting in the work.

"a kinder and gentler Butch"????? My a&&.

Maybe he should tuck all the players in bed at night with milk and cookies while reading The Three Little Pigs to them. Butch is a man on a mission. Get on board or get out of the F'ing way. Go Vols ALL FREAKIN DAY LONG!!! Go Butch Jones!!! :clapping::clapping::clapping:

Haha. K-Mac and Tuttle probably prefer animal crackers.

we are not really hurting anyway because we lost michael sawyers, joe henderson and payne. I would like to have some of the others but its fine. Martin is here and Wharton transfers to a new school about every yr. Hes done it for years.

Daniel Helm also.

Daniel Helm also.

Helm is the only transfer so far that I felt was a major loss. He and Wolf could have been an awesome TE duo.

Hendrix quit because he wasn't getting playing time, which meant he REALLY would have hated competing with Phillips and Taylor.

You guys have it all wrong. I totally agree w/ the radio hosts on this one.

It is time for this football team to be more sensitive and our head coach should lead the charge. A few ideas for butch:

- Players and Coaches do secret santa every year, but instead of presents, they write each other poems of admiration. Reading the poems aloud and hugs are encouraged.

- Nights before game should be poetry night. Meals should be locally sourced organic and lit by candlelight while the coaches recite poems they have written for their players.

- Each player is assigned a secret admirer for Valentine's Day where they go to a day spa to be pampered together in a couples massage.

- Butch hand writes report cards every week for players, only listing positive things about their week. Throughout their career, Butch creates a personalized scrap book for each player that includes these report cards.

- All dorms are equipped with double-ply, aloe-vera toilet paper.

- Profanity and loud noises are prohibited from practices. Inside voices only. Violators are asked politely to self-discipline themselves with a moment of silence for reflection.

Blue font post of the day IMO :rock:

I came within an inch of calling in to these morons. When they listed the players that had left the program supposedly because of Butch, they listed Peterman and others whose leaving had absolutely nothing to do with anything other than they weren't good enough.

Also, half the people they listed had been run off. A successful coach is STILL going to miss on a few recruits, and when they don't pan out SOME have got to be run off in order to open up a spot. A recruit who suddenly thinks he's got a 4 year ride and doesn't give 100% on and off the field MUST be shown the door...and Butch has shown he's good at that.

So, bottom line, very few kids have left other than those the coaching staff wanted to. Those few that did fit neatly into the category of "wuss."

Considering the number of "legacy" recruits coming in, I find their argument to be a big fail. Those ex-players know exactly how Butch behaves in practice and in dealing with players, and they're happy for their own kids to play for Butch.

VN Store

Back