Kim Caldwell (Rookie Coach of the Year-WBCA) is named Head Coach of Iconic Lady Vols WBB

Still a lot suspicious that this is actually the hire. If so we will have another husband wife team more than likely as he is currently an Assistant Coach at Marshall with the mens team and no way he is staying there if she got the Tennessee job. I would suspect he would be an Assistant on her staff although that is not certain. For sure he would not be staying at Marshall if she got the job here.

Lots of smoke on Marshall coach or is it water vapor who knows. Today however we come together as the Lord's Church and will fellowship around CHRIST Table taking Lord's Supper. Peace unto You. In CHRIST Alone
I am wondering if it is vapor too...bc, from my friends,, I have heard Kim Stephens name but have not personally heard Kim Caldwell's (l Later learned it is Kim Stephens/Caldwell ;o))...My own take: with the high action around each of them I would not be surprised if both Kim's, Sam and an 4th opening will be in TN's immediate future
I’m just asking a question. I have no “insider” knowledge. Does it mean anything that Coach Sam is still listed as UT Assistant Coach and besides the post that she can’t reach out to portal kids at the moment, she has continued to tweet as if nothing has happened? Again maybe I missed a tweet. Just a question.
Arguably, coach Sam is the only one who did her job. She got the recruits in here (that is her job,,,closing the deal is the HC's job)...Also the players under her guidance all showed improvement

Last edited:
Reactions: ATLVOLFAN01
She will never become an NBA coach
Probably not, because the NBA is sexist, but she spent several years as an assistant coach with the Spurs. Pop thought very highly of her. Think there was a game he was ejected from, and she coached the rest of the game in his absence. She was also a finalist for the Trailblazers job a few years back. She absolutely has the chops.

I hope it's Kim Caldwell just so I can read 10 pages of that tylexx dude trashing the hire..

And when we don't make the NCAA at all next year or when she loses a series of games to top opponents, you too will be doing the same thing.

She lost to a team by 41 (FORTY ONE) points that lost to teams that Harper lost too which is why Harper was fired.

She has not proven she can be successful at the D1 level against the top opponents - which is what is needed from our coach. If that is not the goal, then should have not fired Harper.

Stop telling people to go somewhere else, everyone has a right to their opinion. This is a social media forum the mere fact that you’re here indicates you have an opinion. Go play Hall monitor and hope someone listens.
😂😂😂 IRONY…. You actually just told me to stop telling people what to post because everyone has a right to their opinion….while telling me not to post because I don’t have a right to my opinion!

And you obviously either didn’t read the post or don’t lack comprehension skills. I did not tell anyone what to do but said everyone has a choice.

Now STOP telling people what to do. Quit being a hall monitor.

I don't understand why people are acting like winning a division 2 championship isn't an accomplishment. She was a coaching a division 2 school with division 2 school players against other division 2 schools and players. It's not like she was coaching a power 5 school and moved down and had an unfair advantage.
yes and there are examples of high school coaches taking over college D1 programs and doing ok

I am wondering if it is vapor too...bc, from my friends,, I have heard Kim Stephens name but have not personally heard Kim Caldwell's...My own take: with the high action around each of them I would not be surprised if both Kim's, Sam and an 4th opening will be in TN's immediate future Arguably, coach Sam is the only one who did her job. She got the recruits in here (that is her job,,,closing the deal is the HC's job)...Also the players under her guidance all showed improvement
You do realize that Kim Stephen’s and Kim Caldwell are the same person don’t you ?

Last edited:
In Barnes' first seasons here, doubted even by Tennessee fans--despite his experience, respect among coaches, and record at each stop throughout his career--he proved he could develop a competitive team out of lesser talent, and that he could develop a 3-star recruit into a two time SEC POTY. Recruiting got better.

Heupel in his first season--despite most of the talent in the cupboard exiting via the portal--proved that his offensive system could succeed in the SEC, and that a severely undermanned defense would play their tails off for him. The people who bought-in were shining on the field, and that was enough to begin attracting better talent on the recruiting trail.

There are seldom any shortcuts in a coaching change.

The players you inherit may or may not be a useful asset. Each coach has to come in, communicate his/her vision, teach his/her precepts and concepts, cultivate and demand his culture, and then outwork the coaching staffs they will face.

The best we fans can do to support the program is show up in numbers, encourage the players, encourage the coach, and have the coach's back when criticism comes, for at least the first couple of seasons.
Excellent post!

Reactions: BruisedOrange
Plowman is calling the shots. She won't let the new coach fail!

So she can play basketball? Some of you think that "money" can buy the best players that can by NCAA championships. How does that work out for the Kentucky men's basketball team?

The only way to ensure a win is to get a player like Clark or Eddy who the NCAA will MAKE win.

Reactions: WVU05UT09
This part! The top recruits in the 25,26, and 27 classes won't know her. We even had some freshman and 8th graders on campus already... It's not a knock on the Marshall coach to say she hasn't recruited at this level and will need people on her staff who have and know AAU and other top coaches to help her get in the door with some of these kids...
Going to have the brinks truck backed up for recruiting until she can prove she can hang in this division, if she manages to win, then it’ll be much easier.

I’m not a big fan either. She’s a Geno fan girl and her teams do indeed under perform for the level of talent she has on her rosters. She’s always getting top HS and top transfers and still can’t break though.

As recently as 21-22 they didn’t even make the NCAA tournament and were in the WNIT. Somehow still beat us on some recruits that season.
They would be in the championship game if they didn’t run into LSU, luck wasn’t on their side.

And when we don't make the NCAA at all next year or when she loses a series of games to top opponents, you too will be doing the same thing.

She lost to a team by 41 (FORTY ONE) points that lost to teams that Harper lost too which is why Harper was fired.

She has not proven she can be successful at the D1 level against the top opponents - which is what is needed from our coach. If that is not the goal, then should have not fired Harper.
Something tells me the talent at Marshall wasn't even close to the talent here. Not saying she would definitely succeed here, none of us know that, but let's not pretend Marshall draws the same level of talent. Especially in her one season as HC there.

Something tells me the talent at Marshall wasn't even close to the talent here. Not saying she would definitely succeed here, none of us know that, but let's not pretend Marshall draws the same level of talent. Especially in her one season as HC there.

In the NCAA teams with lessor talent that have GREAT COACHES, do not lose by 41 points.

If Danny rolls out a first year D1 coach to take over the most storied program in women basketball history, it’s a total failure and may be the beginning of a split in unity that we currently enjoy. I’m a big Danny White fan and the administration is the best it’s ever been, so I just can’t believe we will risk being the laughing stock of women’s basketball.

The talent level is nowhere near for sure. VA Tech had a freshman post come in and drop almost 30 on them though. Also, if she is this mastermind coach, even if you are at a talent level disparity, shouldn’t you be able to scheme to make it closer? The FGCU coach lost by 3 against Oklahoma. I’d feel much better if it was a closer game. Another thing to consider is right now the Lady Vols are at a talent disparity to their rivals. Will she be able to scheme to make up for the difference?

Last edited:
Plowman is calling the shots. She won't let the new coach fail!
As much as i believe in supporting people in the workplace and suppling them with all the tools and resources to be successful, in the end the success or failure is STILL up to the individual doing the work. No ONE person can guarantee the success or failure of another person in life or athletics.

I must be sick. I find this thread entertaining. Can’t wait to see the chaos after we do make an announcement. I am sure some will have a meltdown no matter who it is. My popcorn popper is on standby.
hah i agree with you it is funny many of the people here rebelling against caldwell are the same ones who thought holly and kellie were perfect for us

Reactions: Ratvol
Marshall shot 24% from the field and 14% from three that game. Also Virginia Tech shot 31 free throws compared to Marshall's 8 free throws.

Reactions: COOKEVOL and Ratvol

VN Store

Back