Kim Caldwell (Rookie Coach of the Year-WBCA) is named Head Coach of Iconic Lady Vols WBB

There were a lot of critics when CJH was hired. No one is crying now.

Heck, I hated it when RB was hired. I thought he was washed up. 😆

None of know jack when it comes to making the right hire. I'll trust DW

ADs don't know jack, either, if we're honest. It's a crap shoot, no matter who is hired. Every top coach started off at some place small. But it's also true that for every Bruce Pearl there are a lot of a longtime assistants and mid-majors who don't succeed when promoted to be P5 jobs--we've had two. Your odds of success are a bit better if you hire a proven winner--but there are no guarantees.

Stephens might turn out to be the greatest coach in the history of women's college BB, with more national titles than Geno.
But you don't hire a coach for UT whose background is 1 year at Marshall preceded by several years at Glenville State--though that would
make her lots more qualified than Warlick was.
Holly, unfortunately, did not work out, but 27 years as Pat's right hand made her pretty damn qualified. FFS, she was Pat's hand-picked successor. Yes, we all know it didn't come together for her, but to insinuate she wasn't qualified is a load of horse poop.

The thing that all these people pointing out that Stephens won at Marshall and at her D2 school are forgetting is that Kellie won at other lower levels. The MVC is a lot tougher than the Sun Belt and Kellie took that team to the tourney and ACTUALLY won games in the tourney with Missouri State. She also took Western Carolina to the tournament. By the time she was hired here, she had a more impressive resume than Stephens does now. There is NO reason to get rid of Kellie just to bring in another mid-major up and comer who didn’t do as well in the tourney as she did,

The thing that all these people pointing out that Stephens won at Marshall and at her D2 school are forgetting is that Kellie won at other lower levels. The MVC is a lot tougher than the Sun Belt and Kellie took that team to the tourney and ACTUALLY won games in the tourney with Missouri State. She also took Western Carolina to the tournament. By the time she was hired here, she had a more impressive resume than Stephens does now. There is NO reason to get rid of Kellie just to bring in another mid-major up and comer who didn’t do as well in the tourney as she did,
I agree totally

If its not Walz, Gottlieb, or Close, I kinda hope its a mid major, non p5 or low p5 coach. Maybe they are one break away from landing that big time, elite job. With our facilities, NIL, fan support, tradition etc, might be a massive win. Speaking of mid majors, low P5 rising star type people.

Lindy La Rocque of UNLV, JR Payne of Colorado, Megan Griffith of Columbia, Tomekia Reed of Jackson State, Carla Berube of Princeton are all doing incredible things at their respective schools. Some older, some up and comers etc. Molly Miller and Kim Stephens too.

Not saying this is the route we should go, or are going, just, there is a lot of coaching talent out there.
I would not be disappointed with a Fortier or a Miller. In fact, part of me thinks that may be the way to go if they hold up to vetting and you can establish that their success is not due to just being in a non-competitive league or some situation they just fell into where they ended up being the best of a bad lot.

It is kind of like the James Franklin vs. Josh Heupel hire. I think Josh ended up being the better choice even though he wasn't the first offered and had not been at as many prestigious schools. Same with Bruce Pearl. If you are hiring people to win, then the win/loss record should carry a lot of weight. Pearl was at several lesser schools, but he excelled at all of them and that was an even better indication he would work out. He had prevailed in every situation he was put in.

You could also avoid some of the baggage the other candidates all seem to have where people have solidified an impression in their minds based on past grievances. Sometimes a clean slate is good to get everyone pulling in the same direction. I think we will get a bigger name coach, but that does not always equate to being the best choice.

The other point worth making is that both Kellie and Holly were set up for success. They both had a ton of highly rated players on the roster when they took the reins. As much as I appreciate our players, that won't be the case this time. Basketball is easier to turn around than football, but I think it is baked in the cake that we take a step backwards before we take a step forwards. A big name coach may survive that better, or be better able to recruit over it than an up and comer with no track record at this level so there are pluses and minuses to each approach.

I would not be disappointed with a Fortier or a Miller. In fact, part of me thinks that may be the way to go if they hold up to vetting and you can establish that their success is not due to just being in a non-competitive league or some situation they just fell into where they ended up being the best of a bad lot.

It is kind of like the James Franklin vs. Josh Heupel hire. I think Josh ended up being the better choice even though he wasn't the first offered and had not been at as many prestigious schools. Same with Bruce Pearl. If you are hiring people to win, then the win/loss record should carry a lot of weight. Pearl was at several lesser schools, but he excelled at all of them and that was an even better indication he would work out. He had prevailed in every situation he was put in.

You could also avoid some of the baggage the other candidates all seem to have where people have solidified an impression in their minds based on past grievances. Sometimes a clean slate is good to get everyone pulling in the same direction. I think we will get a bigger name coach, but that does not always equate to being the best choice.

The other point worth making is that both Kellie and Holly were set up for success. They both had a ton of highly rated players on the roster when they took the reins. As much as I appreciate our players, that won't be the case this time. Basketball is easier to turn around than football, but I think it is baked in the cake that we take a step backwards before we take a step forwards. A big name coach may survive that better, or be better able to recruit over it than an up and comer with no track record at this level so there are pluses and minuses to each approach.
Not u comparing Fortiner and Miller 😭

LEVELS TO THISSSS 😭

No. Not because you’re wrong. She could be great, but TN needs a home run hire both on the court AND in the headlines. That matters to Danny. This wouldn’t be it.
Maybe? Same was said during the football coaching search though also. Did anyone think Heupel was that home run when he was hired? Hell did anyone think Staley was a home run hire when she was hired by Carolina?

The hardcore are a strange group. I think we’ve got a pretty good shot at the top coach White wants, but we’ll see.
3 questions that can give pertinent info without betraying the integrity of the search:

1: Has the #1 option been mentioned by name in this thread?

2. Is the #1 choice an elite recruiter?

3. What is the likelyhood current top tier players/committed recruits would follow?

THEN U DONT FIRE KELLIE AND U DONT HIRE A COACH WITH A WORSE RESUME
Maybe the players who gave TN a look just decided they didn’t relate to Kellie and didn’t want to play for her whereas they could like another coach who resume could be on the same level as CKH or even below

Maybe the players who gave TN a look just decided they didn’t relate to Kellie and didn’t want to play for her whereas they could like another coach who resume could be on the same level as CKH or even below
😵‍💫 I’m not getting into recruiting with drive bys… Kellie was too selective bc of the portal they thought they could just make up with it… that’s all u get outta me

Embarrassing take and embarrassing look for DW if anyone less than Fortiner status

She has some huge wins with “no talent”

THEN U DONT FIRE KELLIE AND U DONT HIRE A COACH WITH A WORSE RESUME
The former coach’s resume is irrelevant. I don’t think she was a bad coach, I would even argue she was a good coach but she wasn’t an elite coach or recruiter and I think that’s what we’re looking for. There’s of course some names that jump off the page as being home runs but there are some up and comers as well that could be elite at this kind of program with the kind of NIL and facilities that it has available.

Reactions: Dadof2Vols
The former coach’s resume is irrelevant. I don’t think she was a bad coach, I would even argue she was a good coach but she wasn’t an elite coach or recruiter and I think that’s what we’re looking for. There’s of course some names that jump off the page as being home runs but there are some up and comers as well that could be elite at this kind of program with the kind of NIL and facilities that it has available.
That’s not y u fired Kellie with Texas and Oklahoma coming in… good god read the room

😵‍💫 I’m not getting into recruiting with drive bys… Kellie was too selective bc of the portal they thought they could just make up with it… that’s all u get outta me

Embarrassing take and embarrassing look for DW if anyone less than Fortiner status

She has some huge wins with “no talent”
Nah it was more to it than that and that’s all you are getting out of me

Lets hope the AD and BOT at USCjr are a bunch of atheists...lol

VN Store

Back