Kim Caldwell (Rookie Coach of the Year-WBCA) is named Head Coach of Iconic Lady Vols WBB

Nah it was more to it than that and that’s all you are getting out of me

My understanding over the recruiting is, Kelly had some very high quality talent essentially committed to here and the poor nil environment from the lady vol boosters and supporters was greatly "outbid". If this is the facts, firing Kelly is pointless. If the situation is fixed, why not give her the opportunity with better players(we all know we haven't had those elite elite players here since Pats last good runs). If the situation isn't fixed, it won't really matter who the new coach is, Kelly was just a scapegoat.

These are not yesteryears young women it takes appeal with coaching.some of you all are talking about don’t take no coach with a lesser resume than CKH to a point I can understand but if we hired Maya Moore who has no coaching resume that would be considered a home run hire because all the top talent will flock to her just because of who she is but some of you would go hysterical even though she could get good assistants to help and like I said the talent would come

These are not yesteryears young women it takes appeal with coaching.some of you all are talking about don’t take no coach with a lesser resume than CKH to a point I can understand but if we hired Maya Moore who has no coaching resume that would be considered a home run hire because all the top talent will flock to her just because of who she is but some of you would go hysterical even though she could get good assistants to help and like I said the talent would come
I would change that to Candace Parker and I agree with you.

My understanding over the recruiting is, Kelly had some very high quality talent essentially committed to here and the poor nil environment from the lady vol boosters and supporters was greatly "outbid". If this is the facts, firing Kelly is pointless. If the situation is fixed, why not give her the opportunity with better players(we all know we haven't had those elite elite players here since Pats last good runs). If the situation isn't fixed, it won't really matter who the new coach is, Kelly was just a scapegoat.

If you listen to some, NIL was fine and there was a boatload of money available, Kellie just sucked as a recruiter and couldn't close the deal even with money.
If you listen to others, NIL was not fine, and Kellie had to recruit on things other than easily-accessible NIL funding, which didn't work when players got better competing offers.
If you listen to even MORE others, NIL was mediocre, but Kellie recruited more on the history of the program and eschewed focusing on NIL, which cost her when players were looking to hear concrete details about NIL and money.
And if you listen to even MORE MORE others, the groups or individuals who would normally be expected to pitch in on NIL opportunities were not interested in making major commitments before players came to campus and produced results.

What's my point? I don't know. Who is right? I also don't know. It's all a cesspool. I don't even know how much I care. The ones who despised Harper blamed her regardless of their actual insider knowledge, which was next to nothing. The ones who stanned Harper put more of the blame on the NIL landscape and Tennessee's NIL resources, regardless of their actual insider knowledge, which was next to nothing. A few people who do donate or have inside connections have said things here and there, but everyone shouts them down or calls them liars and then goes right on yelling at each other.

One thing is for certain. If Tennessee cannot offer competitive NIL plans for players, all the banners in creation won't get most of them in the door. The era of tradition is passing. Now is the era of money. All things being equal, those dollars do a lot of talking.

A home run hire is someone who can coach and recruit, imo.

If you listen to some, NIL was fine and there was a boatload of money available, Kellie just sucked as a recruiter and couldn't close the deal even with money.
If you listen to others, NIL was not fine, and Kellie had to recruit on things other than easily-accessible NIL funding, which didn't work when players got better competing offers.
If you listen to even MORE others, NIL was mediocre, but Kellie recruited more on the history of the program and eschewed focusing on NIL, which cost her when players were looking to hear concrete details about NIL and money.
And if you listen to even MORE MORE others, the groups or individuals who would normally be expected to pitch in on NIL opportunities were not interested in making major commitments before players came to campus and produced results.

What's my point? I don't know. Who is right? I also don't know. It's all a cesspool. I don't even know how much I care. The ones who despised Harper blamed her regardless of their actual insider knowledge, which was next to nothing. The ones who stanned Harper put more of the blame on the NIL landscape and Tennessee's NIL resources, regardless of their actual insider knowledge, which was next to nothing. A few people who do donate or have inside connections have said things here and there, but everyone shouts them down or calls them liars and then goes right on yelling at each other.

One thing is for certain. If Tennessee cannot offer competitive NIL plans for players, all the banners in creation won't get most of them in the door. The era of tradition is passing. Now is the era of money. All things being equal, those dollars do a lot of talking.

Send in your money....

I think he's going to hire Dawn Staley. She will bring half her team and it will be instant success. This must be a Kim leaving Baylor for LSU hire.

A home run hire is someone who can coach and recruit, imo.
Sounds like a home run hire today requires someone who can coach and recruit and secure the "show me" money.

And attract a new generation of Lady Vol fans.

This actually is starting to sound like a job for Bruce Pearl, or his female counterpart.

And once again, now more than ever, I mourn what befell Tyler Summitt. He could have been equipped, seasoned, successful, and ready... by this time, and for this time.

that's one of the fairest statements on the thread.

Maybe? Same was said during the football coaching search though also. Did anyone think Heupel was that home run when he was hired? Hell did anyone think Staley was a home run hire when she was hired by Carolina?
Heupel, I didn't think was a "home run," but I knew he was good. I was fine with that hire, and he has exceeded my expectations. He could have gone 3-9, 7-6, 9-4 and that would have been fine, given the mess he inherited.

But Staley? Hell yes. She went 172-80 and went to six NCAAs in eight seasons at Temple. Before she was there, they had not had a winning season in 11 years and had played in one NCAA Tournament. There was every reason to believe she would build a national contender if she went to a place with the resources, and she had been one of the hottest candidates for a move to a bigger job for a few years before she did.

Heupel, I didn't think was a "home run," but I knew he was good. I was fine with that hire, and he has exceeded my expectations. He could have gone 3-9, 7-6, 9-4 and that would have been fine, given the mess he inherited.

But Staley? Hell yes. She went 172-80 and went to six NCAAs in eight seasons at Temple. Before she was there, they had not had a winning season in 11 years and had played in one NCAA Tournament. There was every reason to believe she would build a national contender if she went to a place with the resources, and she had been one of the hottest candidates for a move to a bigger job for a few years before she did.

C’mon man. Everyone would be on board, but the likelihood of that happening? We need to find the next one.

Reactions: Bret178 and Ratvol
Really sorry it did not max out under Kelly, but for MULTIPLE reasons it did not. Change can bring in opportunities sustaining a staff cannot. Repeat CAN but no warranties expressed or implied. HOPEFULLY DW has an X and O candidate that has excited some key NIL boosters to go all in and change your described NIL issue. Got to have the JENNY’S and JO’s and have to be close to the SC’s and LSU’s in roster composition. Luck and coaching can pick it up from there. I SPECULATE that lack of NIL booster BUY IN was a key element in his decision process. I STILL have to believe he had some winks to hypothetical questions about our job that MORE excited our NIL base from several candidates he would be comfortable sitting beside at the introductory presser with an expectation they can close the talent gap when fan supported and competitively funded. No cloud to fight for coaches and players this time.

Really sorry it did not max out under Kelly, but for MULTIPLE reasons it did not. Change can bring in opportunities sustaining a staff cannot. Repeat CAN but no warranties expressed or implied. HOPEFULLY DW has an X and O candidate that has excited some key NIL boosters to go all in and change your described NIL issue. Got to have the JENNY’S and JO’s and have to be close to the SC’s and LSU’s in roster composition. Luck and coaching can pick it up from there. I SPECULATE that lack of NIL booster BUY IN was a key element in his decision process. I STILL have to believe he had some winks to hypothetical questions about our job that MORE excited our NIL base from several candidates he would be comfortable sitting beside at the introductory presser with an expectation they can close the talent gap when fan supported and competitively funded. No cloud to fight for coaches and players this time.
Are we waiting for the final four? it's not Connecticut guy -- there would be a riot- Dawn Staley-- as one person said, maybe if they are all atheist over there. Iowa coach is living on Caitlin fumes, IMO. Wes Moore? Would he come here? Obviously not an insider just speculating like most of us.

I don’t think anyone despised coach Harper. Most everyone wished she would have been successful. It just didn’t work out.

I think the biggest problem with Kellie was the product she put on the court early in the year when she lost so many games. The team looked stagnant on both offense and defense. Our defenders could not keep up with the offensive players and the offense had trouble getting clean shots. Often, 3 of the five players were standing still most of the offensive sets and our defense as allowing wide open shots from all over the court, including layups. The team just looked poorly coached. They did look better the later in the year, but still had problems closing out tight games.

That may, or may not, be true.

But, in the last two minutes of a close ballgame, Kelly couldn't draw up an inbound play to get us an occasional easy basket to save her life. That much I know to be true.

That may, or may not, be true.

But, in the last two minutes of a close ballgame, Kelly couldn't draw up an inbound play to get us an occasional easy basket to save her life. That much I know to be true.
With the coach White will hire, recruits who have already committed to Tennessee should have no problem wanting to play at Tennessee.

Reactions: Ratvol and Jax_Vol

VN Store

Back