Kim Caldwell (Rookie Coach of the Year-WBCA) is named Head Coach of Iconic Lady Vols WBB

Firing her this year says he understands the brand and really wants to restore the program = hiring a brand name that wins the headlines and wins on the court.

Giving her another year would give credence to the idea that the administration really didn’t care about restoring the brand = taking a risk on an up and coming coach from Marshall, Jackson state, etc.
Sound reasoning.

Here’s my daily update: Tennessee fans wanted a home run hire! I ask again what do you call the bases loaded with your designated hitter at the plate? A grand slam! The Tennessee athletic administration and AD are conducting the biggest women’s basketball search in this era. The numbers once made public are going to jump off the screen. Stay tuned!
This is news to a lot of people on the board who were sure he's already picked the person he wanted, was only waiting for the right moment to let everyone know.

Sounds like several are ready to criticize OUR next coach no matter who it is.
I hope UT gets a coach that will be very successful here but I’m not sure the forum members deserve one. JMO
Thank-you for saying this...I know that with whom ever is picked, there are going to be critics and haters...You can't "please all of the people, all of the time", but I think, in the end, we'll all be fairly pleased and only time will tell success...Go LVFL 🧡💙🧡

Thank-you for saying this...I know that with whom ever is picked, there are going to be critics and haters...You can't "please all of the people, all of the time", but I think, in the end, we'll all be fairly pleased and only time will tell success...Go LVFL 🧡💙🧡

There were a lot of critics when CJH was hired. No one is crying now.

Heck, I hated it when RB was hired. I thought he was washed up. 😆

None of know jack when it comes to making the right hire. I'll trust DW

I know it is gospel on this board that Danny White is playing three-dimensional chess while us mere mortals are staring slack jawed at the checker board but I shall speak some blasphemy.

It sure is not looking like he had that "big fish" on the hook before he fired Kellie. I suppose some will indignantly post that White is waiting for the tournament to end. Bless your hearts and I promise to eat my hat if Dawn Staley is wearing orange next season.

And now the UTAD is scouring across a set of potentially past their prime, name head coaches with heavy baggage (and pricey buyout clauses) and moderately successful mid major coaches that you have to hope can make a big jump when they take over the program.

That scenario is not screaming "BRILLIANT" strategic mode. I hope to be proven wrong but I will again say that this search seems to be in a scramble mode--fire first and ask questions later may not have been prudent.
I’m going to strongly disagree. DW doesn’t get paid what he does to operate in scramble mode. I think he’s engaged with each UT sport and is constantly evaluating performance. I think he has a list for every UT coach and it’s updated periodically, as needed. He may not get the best coach to replace Harper, but he’ll get the best one he can. But it’s not scramble mode, for sure.

Reactions: Alto1
It’s clear Kim Stephens has outperformed her peers at the levels she has coached at.

Has she out recruited her peers at the levels she has recruited at?

How has Marshall’s recruiting compared to other teams in conference with similar level resources?

Reactions: CNeagleVolFan
Long time lurker, man, I can't even remember the last time I've even posted on here! BUT if Trilly donovan or Skim milkey are saying something, its legit, tbh.

For those of you that don't know, Trilly donovan is a "burner account" for an actual men's hoops insider. Skim is his women's version. Seems like They are usually aware of things days, weeks, months before they happen. Anything could happen, but they are very legit.
That’s hilarious.

Long time lurker, man, I can't even remember the last time I've even posted on here! BUT if Trilly donovan or Skim milkey are saying something, its legit, tbh.

For those of you that don't know, Trilly donovan is a "burner account" for an actual men's hoops insider. Skim is his women's version. Seems like They are usually aware of things days, weeks, months before they happen. Anything could happen, but they are very legit.
L.O.L.

Tennessee today is a Top 5 WBB program. This coaching search and the spotlight it has held in social/sports media without one coach that has interviewed being leaked or confirmed shows just how big the stakes are. This announcement is going to literally and figuratively do numbers!!!!
WinnerCircle, you're back!

I just wish they had this same energy five years ago when it was clear Fulmer was hiring a mid-major coach. It lets me know the degree to which many fans glossed over Kellie’s overall body of work simply bc she was a LV alum. If not for her S16 run at Mo St, it would not have made any sense to hire her.

I don’t remember anyone saying, “if we’re gonna go the mid-major route, we should’ve kept Holly.”
Remember, during a presser, Fulmer chuckled and said that even though Harper was his hire, that he was told by Joan Cronan et al. that the new coach had to be a woman and had to be a LVFL. Phil did what the ladies asked him to do.

Reactions: Ratvol
House|RockyTop said:
Tennessee today is a Top 5 WBB program. This coaching search and the spotlight it has held in social/sports media without one coach that has interviewed being leaked or confirmed shows just how big the stakes are. This announcement is going to literally and figuratively do numbers!!!!
Wrong, they used to be a top 5 program. No more!

VN Store

Back