Kim Caldwell (Rookie Coach of the Year-WBCA) is named Head Coach of Iconic Lady Vols WBB

247 acting like it wont be Kara or Waltz. Says Kara hasn't been interviewed
giphy.gif

Sometimes people forget this isn't the job it was 15 years ago. Some sitting coaches at P5 schools may not think this is an upgrade.

Reactions: Rixxx
When a losing university gets a national championship coach, regardless of division that's going to create hype, especially for a smaller school like Marshall. Winning a D2 championship can be appealing to lower ranked transfer portal targets as well. She got two really good transfers (for that conference) took advantage of that weak conference and won it.

None of the previous coaches you speak of didn't have any type of hype or anything to sell.
So what she did wasn’t impressive at all?

Reactions: grayshill
So what she did wasn’t impressive at all?

Stephens might turn out to be the greatest coach in the history of women's college BB, with more national titles than Geno.
But you don't hire a coach for UT whose background is 1 year at Marshall preceded by several years at Glenville State--though that would
make her lots more qualified than Warlick was.

Took a horrible Marshall program and flipped them around year one. What like 26-28 wins? She won national championships in D-2. My feeling on it is that she’s a winner, and I want a winner. Her career record is like 217-34. She could be EXACTLY what we need.

Could be another Bruce Pearl who won a D2 NC and turned around UW Milwaukee but odds are it's a pick that gets us right back here in 4 years. You don't fire Kellie to hire the coach of Marshall.

Fairly comical how much LV fans are willing to accept mediocrity at one of the winningest programs in college basketball history as long as it’s “one of us”. It’s why I struggle to pay attention and care for the LV as much as I did when I grew up because why invest in something that is so disinterested in actually winning.

You hit the nail on the head, as usual

Reactions: Amb3096 and Ratvol
When a losing university gets a national championship coach, regardless of division that's going to create hype, especially for a smaller school like Marshall. Winning a D2 championship can be appealing to lower ranked transfer portal targets as well. She got two really good transfers (for that conference) took advantage of that weak conference and won it.

None of the previous coaches you speak of didn't have any type of hype or anything to sell.

Welcome to the board, Mr. Stephens.

What would be the difference?
Firing her this year says he understands the brand and really wants to restore the program = hiring a brand name that wins the headlines and wins on the court.

Giving her another year would give credence to the idea that the administration really didn’t care about restoring the brand = taking a risk on an up and coming coach from Marshall, Jackson state, etc.

VN Store

Back