Khwan Fore freshman highlights..

Assuming Tennessee doesn’t add anyone the most important player to this season may very well be Jordan Bone, the silver lining is that this should open up some minutes for Pons/Johnson...

PG: Bone 26/Turner 14
SG: Bowden 25/Turner 10/Johnson 5
SF: Admiral 30/Pons 10
PF: Grant 30/Fulk 10
C: Alexander 25/Walker 15

Last edited:
Assuming Tennessee doesn’t add anyone the most important player to this season may very well be Jordan Bone, the silver lining is that this should open up some minutes for Pons/Johnson...

I really hope some of those minutes for Bowden go to Jalen. He could be a dynamic wing if he develops this offseason.

Reactions: 1 person

I think that's fair actually. Would like to see Turner get more minutes at SG because I like him off the ball more, but Bowden's defense makes him more valuable than you'd think at first glance.

Any possibility of a current walk-on getting any of those PG minutes, other than mop-up duty?

Crandall would be a good pickup. Shot 41 percent from three. Shot 50 percent from the field. Averaged 2 steals. Biggest issue is his turnovers. Seems like he is going to be off the market pretty quick. First article mentions Xavier and some other teams.

UND standout Geno Crandall will graduate transfer | Grand Forks Herald

Draft Express provides his stats against power 5.
DraftExpress - Geno Crandall DraftExpress Profile: Stats, Comparisons, and Outlook

Video from ND v. Gonzaga. Shows Crandall’s ability to shoot and attack the rim.
UND Men's Basketball - Highlights: UND at #12 Gonzaga - YouTube

Last edited:
I had heard from the staff there are no intentions (at least that's what was told to me several weeks ago) to sign anyone else because "you can't just sign someone just to sign someone." I'm sure if someone of their liking came available now, they wouldn't hesistate to reach out. However, after Khwan didn't pan out, no more signings was the general consensus.

I had heard from the staff there are no intentions (at least that's what was told to me several weeks ago) to sign anyone else because "you can't just sign someone just to sign someone." I'm sure if someone of their liking came available now, they wouldn't hesistate to reach out. However, after Khwan didn't pan out, no more signings was the general consensus.

Hanging on to an open scholarship isn't a bad strategy in case another Stokes-like scenario unfolds. If it's not filled over the summer it will be interesting to see if it's awarded to a walk-on or if it continues to go unused.

Correct. I believe Barnes was quoted as saying something like “if something falls out of the sky we are ready to catch it”.

In talking to them, it was encouraging to hear about how selective they are with their guys. I know there has always been debate about their recruiting practices, but they had the plan to recruit a foundation of solid guys they really could develop. Once the success came, they had always planned on fishing in 5* ponds. They were pretty surprised as the rest of us that this much success came as soon as it did. They planned on this kind of success, but it came a year early. You can see this somewhat by the connections they were building with certain recruits for 2019, etc. Barnes was just way more marketable than the Tennessee brand when he came along. Now Tennessee and Barnes together are much more marketable. They have a great eye for talent for their system. They won't recruit just anyone.

Reactions: 4 people
In talking to them, it was encouraging to hear about how selective they are with their guys. I know there has always been debate about their recruiting practices, but they had the plan to recruit a foundation of solid guys they really could develop. Once the success came, they had always planned on fishing in 5* ponds. They were pretty surprised as the rest of us that this much success came as soon as it did. They planned on this kind of success, but it came a year early. You can see this somewhat by the connections they were building with certain recruits for 2019, etc. Barnes was just way more marketable than the Tennessee brand when he came along. Now Tennessee and Barnes together are much more marketable. They have a great eye for talent for their system. They won't recruit just anyone.

This is always how I viewed their recruiting too. Didn't expect them to come in and start pulling top-100 guys immediately with the state the basketball program was in. I'm glad they approached it like this.

Reactions: 4 people
This is always how I viewed their recruiting too. Didn't expect them to come in and start pulling top-100 guys immediately with the state the basketball program was in. I'm glad they approached it like this.

The crazy thing is so many of our fans gave CRB so much criticism at first with his recruiting. They thought he was coasting into retirement. He completely changed his recruiting approach compared to his latter years at Texas. I think many of our fans believed he was going to come in here and recruit top 100 players right away, I in a way thought the same thing once he was first hired, but after seeing his first class of freshman play I could see the vision and potential that he had for the types of players he was getting.

The crazy thing is so many of our fans gave CRB so much criticism at first with his recruiting. They thought he was coasting into retirement. He completely changed his recruiting approach compared to his latter years at Texas. I think many of our fans believed he was going to come in here and recruit top 100 players right away, I in a way thought the same thing once he was first hired, but after seeing his first class of freshman play I could see the vision and potential that he had for the types of players he was getting.

Criticism warranted when you have an assistant saying he’d earned the right to not have to recruit.

You have that quote handy, by chance?

“The good thing about being a veteran head coach,” Oliver said, “and I think every veteran head coach goes through this, is they’ve earned the right to not have to go out (recruiting) like second-year head coaches do and oversell their program and beg kids to come.

“I think they’ve earned the right to hire a veteran staff that has recruited for 15, 20 some odd years between Rob Lanier, myself and Mike Schwartz; to trust that we can get our foot in the door with guys,” Oliver added. “We have to know the guys that we have a chance to get early on. Then let coach finish.

VN Store

Back