Khwan Fore freshman highlights..

The end-goal of a university is to provide the best possible education to the students. Having high admittance standards helps achieve a better academic environment for the people who are in school to get a degree. Admitting sub par students only hurts the other students (most of which have to pay out of pocket thousands of $). From my own personal experience, it is annoying to have your classes held up by people who can't keep up.

It seems to be the general consensus on this site that sports are the most important thing the university does, but sports aren't the purpose of the university. Sports are simply a method of providing funding for the academic side of the university.

In the famous words of former Ohio St. QB Cardale Jones, “I did not come here to play school.”

Reactions: 1 person
CRB and his staff will find a good point guard option for 2018 and good luck to Fore wherever he goes.

I’m not sure about the basketball part. Most of our guys seem very well educated. Can’t soeak for the football team as I haven’t heard them speak/ in a different setting

I am not saying it in a negative kind of way. Hell I couldn't have gotten into Tenn now a days. Just pointing out it's tough to get admitted and many many athletes woudnt get into school

I am not saying it in a negative kind of way. Hell I couldn't have gotten into Tenn now a days. Just pointing out it's tough to get admitted and many many athletes woudnt get into school

I get what you’re saying. Just me nitpicking lol

Entitlement attitude. If the kid does not have the qualifications he should go somewhere else.

Why would we tell a kid who has qualified academically for graduate school that we won't have a space for him or her because we have to make way for some athlete who is not qualified?

This is the reason I think that athletes are privileged. If you want to pay them then create a farm league for them.

Take away UT football and basketball and you will see what kind of great university UT will become. People do not buy UT clothing, license plates, and other UT products because they are cheering for UT debate teams and business majors. There has to be some give and take.

Reactions: 3 people
Take away UT football and basketball and you will see what kind of great university UT will become. People do not buy UT clothing, license plates, and other UT products because they are cheering for UT debate teams and business majors. There has to be some give and take.

Speak for yourself! :)

I wonder if those posters realize that a very high % of our athletes in football and basketball woudnt get into school without being athletes. I am guessing well over half

Yes, you are likely correct, but there are set minimums for undergraduate admission of student atheletes. Graduate admissions is much different and can be much more fluid because it is usually decided in a much more competitive way. Each year the requirements can fluctuate and the number of people accepted is far less in grad school.

This. Academia before sports.

Most of those who would say otherwise on this forum probably weren't smart enough to get past HS anyhow.

I am a UT alumni and I was completely ok that Dale Carter never stepped foot inside the english class we shared...He sure was fun to watch on saturdays.

Truth.

The people who run that circus over there are some of the dumbest smart people you could ever imagine. Total **** show for 15 years over there.

Fulmer needs to fix this crap.

Sports trump academics, period.

All you need to do is look at Bama's uptick in enrollment since Saban. It is an investment that yields a huge ROI.

I am a UT alumni and I was completely ok that Dale Carter never stepped foot inside the english class we shared...He sure was fun to watch on saturdays.

Yeah all these nerds are making me sad. Should start a UT academia nation forum where they can talk about their favorite professors and mid terms and stuff.

The end-goal of a university is to provide the best possible education to the students. Having high admittance standards helps achieve a better academic environment for the people who are in school to get a degree. Admitting sub par students only hurts the other students (most of which have to pay out of pocket thousands of $). From my own personal experience, it is annoying to have your classes held up by people who can't keep up.

It seems to be the general consensus on this site that sports are the most important thing the university does, but sports aren't the purpose of the university. Sports are simply a method of providing funding for the academic side of the university.

They go hand in hand. The brand and success of sports greatly enhance the image and education at a university. Just ask Alabama. Just had a conversation about this. I was told the admissions at Alabama have increased trenendously, and the standards have gone up. The Hope scholarship is doing this at UT anyway.

Not saying you do, but people complain about our lack of competitiveness, and then we have this discussion. Can't have it both ways.

Last edited:
I don’t care if we are admitting kids into school who can’t read.

The academia people at UT are loons. They can kick rocks.

This. Academia before sports.

Most of those who would say otherwise on this forum probably weren't smart enough to get past HS anyhow.

I am not here to debate intelligence because I am certainly not the smartest guy in the world. I have a law degree, and sports matter. Sports help in branding your school.

I am not here to debate intelligence because I am certainly not the smartest guy in the world. I have a law degree, and sports matter. Sports help in branding your school.

Never said sports didn't matter, just saying the purpose of college is to get an education.

Obviously being on this forum, I love sports. But we should focus on a good education for these kids.

Hint: They are not mutually exclusive.

Never said sports didn't matter, just saying the purpose of college is to get an education.

Obviously being on this forum, I love sports. But we should focus on a good education for these kids.

Hint: They are not mutually exclusive.

We do focus on getting a good education, and the numbers bear that out. Not being mutually exclusive is what some of us are saying. They can both be successful, yet they also both can help each other.

They go hand in hand. The brand and success of sports greatly enhance the image and education at a university. Just ask Alabama. Just had a conversation about this. I was told the admissions at Alabama have increased trenendously, and the standards have gone up. The Hope scholarship is doing this at UT anyway.

Not saying you do, but people complain about our lack of competitiveness, and then we have this discussion. Can't have it both ways.

I agree that success in sports is important and helps with the academic side of the university. When I say sports are a way to make money for the school, the sports have to be successful to make money (long-term).

My post was mainly pointing out that some sort of academic standard has to be maintained when admitting athletes, this standard is higher and more fluid for grad students (obviously). When a grad transfer doesn't end up graduating with a graduate's degree, it hurts the graduation rate of the school.

I agree that success in sports is important and helps with the academic side of the university. When I say sports are a way to make money for the school, the sports have to be successful to make money (long-term).

My post was mainly pointing out that some sort of academic standard has to be maintained when admitting athletes, this standard is higher and more fluid for grad students (obviously). When a grad transfer doesn't end up graduating with a graduate's degree, it hurts the graduation rate of the school.

Then make sure he graduates. Duh.

VN Store

Back