Khalid Henderson Commits to TN

whining about recruiting between signing day and around the new year makes you just as silly as the goobs whp discredit the recruiting services.

Anyone know the difference between a 3 star and 4 star at various positions? Besides being good and going up the star ladder based on the # of camps you attend and how the star rating increases when some schools put you on the prospect list? Speed, strength, instinct, how much weight a kid can carry, coachability, athletic ability, ability to just play ball? Somebody who likes this kid, or preferably someone who doesn't like this kid, tell me what you see on his video to make your decision, then I'll listen. Too many people making comments about La Tech, DD, the kid or whatever, that couldn't analyze the overall football ability for a recruit based on the action on the field, yet throw blanket judgements. UT had top ranked classes for years and tons of NFL players and got basically jacksquat in return from 2000-2010, except for the cupboard being bare.

All you star gazers are ridiculous. To all you people who say you can't win championships without recruiting the most coveted prospects then how do you explain this:

Buffalo, the 2008 conference champion in the MAC, had no 5 star players. (smiles smugly)

It's simple. If you want to win, you have to recruit high character under-the-radar players.

I understand what you're trying to say, but I don't really think I would have used Buffalo winning the MAC as an example.

They were like 8-5 that year and they played in the lowest conference in D-1A. Boise State has won big games with 2-3 star players. Oregon before this past season was mostly 2-3 star players.

I understand what you're trying to say, but I don't really think I would have used Buffalo winning the MAC as an example.

They were like 8-5 that year and they played in the lowest conference in D-1A. Boise State has won big games with 2-3 star players. Oregon before this past season was mostly 2-3 star players.

I think he's being sarcastic and that people aren't picking up on it.

Are you saying you wouldn't want a class with nothing but the highest rated players? You really think we have to have some lower rated kids to make you happy? Just asking.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I wouldn't want a class of nothing but 5stars. Why? Because these are the kids that have been told their entire playing days how great they are. Some of them, not all but some, fall into the trap of believing that hype. They arrive on campus with a sense of entitlement. Their work habits are horrible as they are used to getting by on talent alone and they think they are above any rules. I don't want those kids at UT. I do want 5star talent, but only if the coaches feel they have 5star character as well. I want talented kids who will work hard on and off the field. I want kids who will try and keep their noses clean. When you stumble, you pick yourself up and learn from your mistakes. I want kids who believe in being Vols and bleeding orange. I want the best of both worlds. It's not realistic to believe that's what we'll get, but it is what I would prefer to a class of nothing but the highest rated players. Talent sites are good for ranking talent, but not so great at ranking heart and character. It's the job of the coaches to find that balance of an athlete. Sometimes they're gonna strike out, sometimes they'll knock one over the fence. I'm still taking the wait and see approach on CDD.

I can't belive this coaching staff offered this kid without running it by us here at volnation first !!! How can they work him out at the camp and be impressed , he doesn't even have an offer from ala. nor fla. this staff needs to be put in its place, they need to know that they are not there to evaulate players, thats what we do. I say no more camps!!!

At some point, we all have to figure our coach is our coach, and we have to figure he knows what he is doing, selling etc..Since he is our coach, lets support his decisions and have faith he will succeed. To constantly harrang, criticize every decision he and his staff makes, is redundant....I say get your heart in the vols and this program, or get your a** out.....simple....:salute:

:good!: quote of the YEAR !!!

This kid is a guaranteed 3 star if not a 4. I taught at his middle school for one year. It is project kids or non-documented kids. If he made it this far he is as tough as nails.

At some point, we all have to figure our coach is our coach, and we have to figure he knows what he is doing, selling etc..Since he is our coach, lets support his decisions and have faith he will succeed. To constantly harrang, criticize every decision he and his staff makes, is redundant....I say get your heart in the vols and this program, or get your a** out.....simple....:salute:

Fair enough while CDD is still in his "proving himself" stage, which I believe he is. But if the talent doesn't develop on the field, then it's no longer a case of "our coach is our coach". IMO, he gets a few years to prove himself. If improvement doesn't happen, then I think we as fans can fairly criticize what he has done. The example is Fulmer. I think it was perfectly fair that we as fans criticisized his coaching his last several years. It was obvious we were getting worse, not better. My point being there is a fine line there.

Anyone know the difference between a 3 star and 4 star at various positions? Besides being good and going up the star ladder based on the # of camps you attend and how the star rating increases when some schools put you on the prospect list? Speed, strength, instinct, how much weight a kid can carry, coachability, athletic ability, ability to just play ball? Somebody who likes this kid, or preferably someone who doesn't like this kid, tell me what you see on his video to make your decision, then I'll listen. Too many people making comments about La Tech, DD, the kid or whatever, that couldn't analyze the overall football ability for a recruit based on the action on the field, yet throw blanket judgements. UT had top ranked classes for years and tons of NFL players and got basically jacksquat in return from 2000-2010, except for the cupboard being bare.

He plays instinctively. He diagnoses the play quickly and gets to the ball in a hurry, no hesitation. He got sideline to sideline, which doesn't mean much in high school, but it means once in a college strength and conditioning program, the same skill set should be present. He showed strength against both the run and the pass, and appears to have the frame for an additional 15-20 pounds without losing too much speed. I'd expect him to eventually be rated as a high three star. With a huge senior year, he could be a low four star recruit. He reminds me a bit of Raiques Crump, who provided 13 tackles, 6 on special teams. I believe he can quickly become a contributer in a depleted linebacking corps, and eventually a starter by his second or third year. JMO based on my analysis of the video I've seen on him. He appears to be underexposed at this point, which is why recruiting services and many coaching staffs haven't offered yet. The camp circuit will help.

Last edited:
I can't belive this coaching staff offered this kid without running it by us here at volnation first !!! How can they work him out at the camp and be impressed , he doesn't even have an offer from ala. nor fla. this staff needs to be put in its place, they need to know that they are not there to evaulate players, thats what we do. I say no more camps!!!

I am outraged!

Harris will also be one of the strongest, most instinctive player on the roster the min he got to campus. Alot of people will be praising his play in a year or so. GO BIG ORANGE!
no question that this would turn up in your favor, but it's absurd for people to jump in here and talk about a kid about whom they know absolutely nothing.

It would be different if they had any idea about the kid or if he hadn't been to our camp recently for the coaches to see in person.

Giving the timing of the commitment, don't you think it a bit odd if the kid isn't better than the others we're in on? I view this a bit like I do Christian Harris' commitment. OBTW, barring injury, Harris will be a multiple year quality starter at UT.

Fair enough while CDD is still in his "proving himself" stage, which I believe he is. But if the talent doesn't develop on the field, then it's no longer a case of "our coach is our coach". IMO, he gets a few years to prove himself. If improvement doesn't happen, then I think we as fans can fairly criticize what he has done. The example is Fulmer. I think it was perfectly fair that we as fans criticisized his coaching his last several years. It was obvious we were getting worse, not better. My point being there is a fine line there.

I think that's fair. That's with any coach. I support CDD and believe he has us going in the right direction, but in a couple of years or so if there isn't improvement then like any other coach it will be time for him to go. But I do think we tend to forget that he came into a very bad situation and it will not be fixed in a couple years.

I talked to this kid at camp, he was VFL before getting an offer, that is why he committed as soon as the offer came in. He has not gone to many Jr. days and I was told he is not known because of that. I do not know how he will pan out but he looked quick and had good technique. The kid has a good frame and will put on some weight when he gets here.

He was called up several time to go against some of the TE and RB they were looking at during camp. He looked good in camp and it was nice to see him helping younger kids by coaching them up on the sidelines.

Last edited:
What's true mental "tardation" is people who just slurp up what ever is given them. Goobs make me laugh

Please tell me you notice the irony in this statement.
People slurping up whatever is given to them is the exact same thing I was thinking when I was calling you a "goob" for saying that Rivals is the be all end all. Goobs make me laugh too.

VN Store

Back