Khalid Henderson Commits to TN

I'm sure if this kid jumps ship in November to go to FL or Bama or UGA that everyone on here bashing his commitment to UT will probably be ok with that, right? We need everyone we can get at this point, and this staff has not shied away from telling kids to reevaluate their options once they recruit over them.

Does this give us any info on the theory that the staff maybe telling some kids to hold off their commitments? I'm very happy with this commitment, but it does worry me that some of the other "vol locks" aren't awaiting a go ahead from the coaches to commit.

Welcome to Tennessee Khalid!

While there is certainly all manner of insanity here (both believing stars are everything and stars are nothing), we do have alternatives other than just blindly following the coaches. We know that having higher ranked classes has historically been a necessary (but not sufficient) condition for winning championships. We also know that sometimes lower ranked players pan out (and higher ranked players don't) and that our coaches are paid to find the ones that will (and avoid the ones that won't).

So the proper class should contain enough well-recognized talent to be ranked highly and a couple lower-ranked players who impress the coaches. That is to say, if we take nothing but 2 and 3 stars, it's a problem. Similarly, if we only offer 4 and 5 stars, it's a problem, because it's evidence that our coaches aren't doing their own evaluation. But if we take a couple 2 and 3 stars and a lot of higher ranked players, we should trust that our coaches are doing their jobs in evaluation unless presented with evidence that their evaluation is poor.

I agree. I will also add that I tend to trust the guy who was Saban's recruiting coordinator with, at least, being a fair evaluator of talent.

He takes good angles. Seems like a smart player (from the video). Sheds blocks pretty well. Not an explosive tackler, but doesn't let the player get by him.

Seems like a good pickup. He's in the GA 5A class, so he's not playing scrubs.

Yea kid looks pretty solid in his video. Every tackle he made looked like the offensive player was hitting a wall and against Ga 5A class!! Hasn't even played his Sr year yet, so could still get a 5.8 5.9 rating which isn't bad for a position of need.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Very good interview. I am impressed with the quality of individual Dooley recruits. I just hope we get enough elite talent to go with these guys to make us competitive with Bama and Florida.

The same Florida that was 8-5 last year and lost to Miss. State at home?

We beat out Air Force, Yeah!

When we start really winning in 2012 & 2013, top recruits will take notice and will listen to what Dooley has to say.
At this point, our top selling point is Immediate Playing Time. Other than that, a recruit may think that Clemson, UGA or Florida is as appealing as us. If we offer immedite playing time, then they will choose us over other considerations. Once we begin to win, they will want to come here. everyone wants to be a winner.

We had the usual college prospects at U.T. until Heath Shuler, a high school All American arrived. Once he arrived, the recruiting got better. Little Man Stewart,
Charlie Garner, Al Wilson, etc. etc. Once Manning arrived, and we began to win, the recruiting got better.

Very good interview. I am impressed with the quality of individual Dooley recruits. I just hope we get enough elite talent to go with these guys to make us competitive with Bama and Florida.

I thought he said Bama and NC were courting him in the video. He is not that far off the radar.

Nice size. 6'2", 215 lbs.

UT needs bigger LBs. Once he beefs up, this kid could help with that.

From his video, this looks like a good pickup.

Like someone said, still plenty of camps left for him to get noticed.

We are in a close proximity to Georgia and we can offer immediate playing time. Have you looked at what our linebacking corp will look like next season?
I feel he will be a solid committment!!!! Few defensive players say no to Lance!!!!!!

Does this give us any info on the theory that the staff maybe telling some kids to hold off their commitments? I'm very happy with this commitment, but it does worry me that some of the other "vol locks" aren't awaiting a go ahead from the coaches to commit.

Welcome to Tennessee Khalid!

Unlike the previous staff, Dooley and staff want kids to be as close to 100% as possible in their commitment before making it public knowledge.

There will still be decommits but not nearly as many as we had during the '09 season.

The recruiting services do a good job of evaluating talent but it is impossible for them to be perfect. It's also important to keep in mind some kids might be ranked lower because of a perceived weakness (size, speed, strength) but that doesn't mean they can't be a force in the right system.

For example, Terrence Cody was only a 3 star due to the fact he was fat and not very athletic. Lots of teams wouldn't recruit a guy like that but you can't deny he was a force on Alabama's line. We also have no idea on how the coaching staff is planning on using Henderson at this time.

People need to stop playing recruiting expert on here just so they can say "see I told you so," when a prospect doesn't turn out. Once Dooley continually signs a bunch of busts than I might question his ability to evaluate talent. Until than I am happy for every recruit we get. Welcome aboard Henderson!!

Welcome aboard. It is weird that we hadn't heard much until he camped here but it sounds like he is a great player/leader.

I'm just happy for another committment. In fact, I love the early commits, these kids tend to have their heads on straight and want to be able to focus on their senior year without the distractions.

That would be relevant if it weren't for the fact Dooley has been pulling in top 25 recruiting classes. If you don't think some of those players on Boise State could start on Tennessee, I don't know what to tell ya. They did beat Virginia Tech, Oklahoma and Oregon(twice). Just curious, what is Tennessee's biggest win over that same time frame? Not trying to knock Tennessee, just trying to make you realize that Tennessee could use some of those kids Boise State has recruited.

538e4cd9-6be4-4fc4-ac1b-4c6ce307cad8.jpg

I am confused as to why we don't start all of our staff searches here on VN. We have so many qualified candidates for Head Football Coach, Head Basketball Coach, Recruiting Coordinator, hey even AD. If they would just read some of these post, everyone knows exactly what is best for our program. I am sure a Plumber, Carpenter, Car Salesman, __________(insert your profession here) with XXXX amount of posts could fix everything, evaluate talent, recruit only 5* players, win games, and win repeated championships.

When things get a little slow, all i have to do is open one thread, read a few comments, and let the entertainment begin!!!!

You're living in a dream world. Make 2 lists and compare. On one list name all the great players we've had that were rated low and with the other list name the great players we've had that were highly rated. Then tell me what you think.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

This says it better than any.

The recruiting services do a good job of evaluating talent but it is impossible for them to be perfect. It's also important to keep in mind some kids might be ranked lower because of a perceived weakness (size, speed, strength) but that doesn't mean they can't be a force in the right system.

For example, Terrence Cody was only a 3 star due to the fact he was fat and not very athletic. Lots of teams wouldn't recruit a guy like that but you can't deny he was a force on Alabama's line. We also have no idea on how the coaching staff is planning on using Henderson at this time.

People need to stop playing recruiting expert on here just so they can say "see I told you so," when a prospect doesn't turn out. Once Dooley continually signs a bunch of busts than I might question his ability to evaluate talent. Until than I am happy for every recruit we get. Welcome aboard Henderson!!

+1

But it's the Recruiting Services job to evaluate players correctly. Coaches also.

VN Store

Back