Khalid Henderson Commits to TN

You're living in a dream world. Make 2 lists and compare. On one list name all the great players we've had that were rated low and with the other list name the great players we've had that were highly rated. Then tell me what you think.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

no question that this would turn up in your favor, but it's absurd for people to jump in here and talk about a kid about whom they know absolutely nothing.

It would be different if they had any idea about the kid or if he hadn't been to our camp recently for the coaches to see in person.

Giving the timing of the commitment, don't you think it a bit odd if the kid isn't better than the others we're in on? I view this a bit like I do Christian Harris' commitment. OBTW, barring injury, Harris will be a multiple year quality starter at UT.

no question that this would turn up in your favor, but it's absurd for people to jump in here and talk about a kid about whom they know absolutely nothing.

It would be different if they had any idea about the kid or if he hadn't been to our camp recently for the coaches to see in person.

Giving the timing of the commitment, don't you think it a bit odd if the kid isn't better than the others we're in on? I view this a bit like I do Christian Harris' commitment. OBTW, barring injury, Harris will be a multiple year quality starter at UT.

Not only that he has blew up the camp circuit. He was the Atlanta camp MVP, and then he came here and impressed the coaches. But these are the same people who thought Marcus Jackson was a scrub but then became great because Rivals gave him his 4th star.

All you star gazers are ridiculous. To all you people who say you can't win championships without recruiting the most coveted prospects then how do you explain this:

Buffalo, the 2008 conference champion in the MAC, had no 5 star players. (smiles smugly)

It's simple. If you want to win, you have to recruit high character under-the-radar players.

I wouldn't call it rare. There's a ton of 3* athletes and in many cases they get little to no in person evaluations and we have seen in the past that some services haven't even watched film of many of these guys. I'm not sure how they are evaluating these guys if they never see them. Even seeing a guy once is not enough to evaluate them properly.

The services are right a lot more than they are wrong and they're getting better each year.

You're living in a dream world. Make 2 lists and compare. On one list name all the great players we've had that were rated low and with the other list name the great players we've had that were highly rated. Then tell me what you think.

Scout.com: Football Recruiting

Yeah man... recruiting sites know everything... Minus the fact Mitch Mustain and Vidal Hazelton blew and were rated higher than Tim Tebow and Percy Harvin.

There are some players on there that I've never even heard of. What's a Nate Byham? Or a Konrad Reuland?

Don't get in their way. Doesn't look like the kid has gotten a solid evaluation yet...let alone played his senior season.

The services are right a lot more than they are wrong and they're getting better each year.

no they aren't. They're only as good as the information they're handed and they are not remotely getting better. Recruiting is an art and is as much about fortune as it is skill.

Those guys incorrectly evaluate Florida talent every year because of the quality of the competition. I've never seen so much overrating at anything in my life.

Not really. They are right usually on the can't miss players, but they are usually off when it comes past those.

Did you seriously just use winning the MAC as a bench mark?

All you star gazers are ridiculous. To all you people who say you can't win championships without recruiting the most coveted prospects then how do you explain this:

Buffalo, the 2008 conference champion in the MAC, had no 5 star players. (smiles smugly)

It's simple. If you want to win, you have to recruit high character under-the-radar players.

Scout.com: Football Recruiting

Yeah man... recruiting sites know everything... Minus the fact Mitch Mustain and Vidal Hazelton blew and were rated higher than Tim Tebow and Percy Harvin.

There are some players on there that I've never even heard of. What's a Nate Byham? Or a Konrad Reuland?

That one guy, what's his face???...

Colt McCoy sure didn't do anything with his 3 star rating, either.

At OUR CAMP, Henderson made a very good impression according to every report I've seen. Someone said that he'd receive more offers if he did as well at other camps, which he probably would. That's what camps are for, so I'm good with getting this guy now. Actually, I'm happy about his commit. We need more big, strong, fast LBs. Welcome to Tennessee, young man.

Can you answer this since Rivals hasn't evaluated him yet... if they give him a 4 star by the end of the recruiting cycle, will you think he is good then?

Or Sam Bradford. He sucks.

Actually he was 4* on Scout but he was ranked the 17th QB. I was mixing it up with Rivals. They had Bradford as a 3*.

Thus we can conclude, a lot of the recruiting sites aren't completely accurate. They hit more than they miss but that only requires being right 51% of the time.

Mack Brown and Bob Stoops should have passed on McCoy and Bradford because recruiting sites rated them low. They had no business playing for Texas and Oklahoma.

Last edited:

I hope he is great. Hell I hope he is the best we've ever had. But I stand by the fact that the services are correct a lot more than they are wrong. Are there 5 star busts and 1 or 2 star greats? Yes there are but they are the exception. And not the rule. And the lists would prove a fact because it is a fact that "usually" higher rated kids are higher rated for a reason.

I generally don't look at star rating, but what other schools are pursuing the recruit.

No sense bashing a kid who hasn't stepped on campus yet

I hope he is great. Hell I hope he is the best we've ever had. But I stand by the fact that the services are correct a lot more than they are wrong. Are there 5 star busts and 1 or 2 star greats? Yes there are but they are the exception. And not the rule. And the lists would prove a fact because it is a fact that "usually" higher rated kids are higher rated for a reason.

I don't know if he's great or what. I'm willing to bet that he's big and can run and our coaching staff likes the heck out of it. Otherwise, it makes no sense to be accepting a commitment from him at this point. Just the set of circumstances says to me that the kid can play. The scouting services are a disaster.

I don't know if he's great or what. I'm willing to bet that he's big and can run and our coaching staff likes the heck out of it. Otherwise, it makes no sense to be accepting a commitment from him at this point. Just the set of circumstances says to me that the kid can play. The scouting services are a disaster.

Agreed. He only points to the 5 star players. Yes, it is easy to rate them 5 stars because there is hype all around them amongst the high school circuits. However, they are usually pretty off on some of those and are way off once you look at their 4 star prospects and high 3 star prospects.

Like Henderson said, he came to camp and was better than everyone else.

I love these discussions. You have the side making the knowledgeable argument about who the staff likes and if they extend an offer, then they believe the young man can help the program.

Then you have the side who are the star gazers and immediately assumes he sucks because he hasn't been fully evaluated by Rivals and is "only" a 3 star on scout.

Like stated above, tons of good players were 3 stars or below at UF.

Jabar Gaffney - 2 star
Brandon James - 2 star
Louis Murphy - 3 star
Chris Doering - Walk-on 2 star
Jesse Palmer - 3 star

That's just a few. Stop star-gazing and be thankful you have kids with talent who want to be Vols.

VN Store

Back