Kentucky lost again

I think Cal is gone but who do they get? Fans want someone that’s won a Natty but the only one I see is Wright and he’s not coming back to coaching. Shaka Smart? Musselman?

I’ve heard Scott Drew’s name mentioned on ksr as the guy their fans want.

Most of the guys who go to the NBA aren’t coming back. They were tired of the recruiting game before NIL and are getting paid a bunch of money with an offseason.

Houston is a big time program and now with high major conference backing and credibility. Sampson has had the taste of a blue blood at Indiana. At his age (he'll be 69 this year), I'd bet he's content at Houston.
I agree that he may be too old and happy to change his situation but Houston = Memphis as a program. Not the same as UK

My guess is that they would go with someone like Donovan or even Scott Drew if they could get him to leave Baylor, which is unlikely. There's no way they would ever hire Pearl or Oats, a pair of loose cannons.

NIL is a game changer. Recruiting isn’t the same. No longer have to convince Momma and sell an education - just pay them more.
You also have to re-recruit your own roster. I’ve heard someone who is a national college basketball media person say that people like Donovan and Stevens left because they were tired of recruiting and enjoy their offseasons. They also get paid more. Once you get those luxuries, you probably aren’t coming back.

But I wonder if the NIL has just made ncaa another g league. If there’s no difference between nba and college why go down in competition?

It probably will in time. But right now G-League coaches don’t have the fat contracts and high profiles. I couldn’t name one G-League team or city.

I think of Donovan because he’s a middling coach for the Bulls.

You also have to re-recruit your own roster. I’ve heard someone who is a national college basketball media person say that people like Donovan and Stevens left because they were tired of recruiting and enjoy their offseasons. They also get paid more. Once you get those luxuries, you probably aren’t coming back.

I’d reckon that KY pays just as well and it’s a shorter season. And they can let the NIL money do the recruiting.

I think Cal is gone but who do they get? Fans want someone that’s won a Natty but the only one I see is Wright and he’s not coming back to coaching. Shaka Smart? Musselman?
You may be right, but IMO it would be a foolish move. Cal is a very good coach. UK lost this year because they had some great freshmen playing against 5 and 6th year "senior" men. When the covid eligibility mess is over, UK will be back near the top again because those young guys won't be competing against a bunch of guys 5-7 years older.

I read on Rupp's Rafters that Drew is the guy that Barnhart will likely pursue.

Scott Drew just signed a brand new contract at Baylor, which means he likely has an even bigger buyout now than he did two weeks ago.

Kentucky has a lot of money, but I can’t see them dropping $50 million to buyout Cal and Drew.

Scott Drew just signed a brand new contract at Baylor, which means he likely has an even bigger buyout now than he did two weeks ago.

Kentucky has a lot of money, but I can’t see them dropping $50 million to buyout Cal and Drew.

The most likely scenario is that they bring Cal back. I know the SEC schools have shown that they can make money appear out of thin air if they want to fire a coach bad enough, but Mitch Barnhardt knows he screwed up in giving Cal the lifetime contract. He can’t compound that mistake by firing Cal without having a plan for a sure fire upgrade, and I’m not really sure there is an obvious upgrade right now for them.

My guess is that they would go with someone like Donovan or even Scott Drew if they could get him to leave Baylor, which is unlikely. There's no way they would ever hire Pearl or Oats, a pair of loose cannons.
They've tried to hire Donovan twice and got shot down both times.

Reactions: Volfan1000
I read on Rupp's Rafters that Drew is the guy that Barnhart will likely pursue.
They're delusional on there. One of the few semi-rational ones noted who Duke and UNC hired. It wasn't blockbuster NC winners. They also noted that UK has never hired someone who'd won a national title.

One guy kept harping on Roy Williams leaving Kansas but apparently didn't know that he was a UNC guy from the Dean Smith tree before he ever coached at Kansas.

Many wanted to shoot for the moon and then settle for Pearl but the rose may be off that bloom with his flame out today.

Someone needs to make this from the gif.

giphy.gif

I get that but something is off. You don't see SEC teams in the Final Four. It just isn't happening. Big12 is competitive. Look at all the teams they have that are advancing year in and year out. Other leagues are the same way. Something is off and it seems like we just don't have the consistency in players that you see with these other teams. What I mean is players that you can depend on to show up almost ever night and not have "bad" games where they score under 10 points when the season is on the line.

The SEC has had a reputation for decades of recruiting elite athletes but not a lot of elite basketball players across the board (UK excluded). Most kids in the SEC recruiting footprint also grow up playing multiple sports.

That narrative has mostly changed but I still think a lot of guys in the league rely on athleticism more than overall basketball skill. There's just something different about the mentality of kids who grow up in other parts of the country and are constantly competing on the playground when not playing at/for school and focusing 100%, or close to it, on basketball. Football and baseball cost more to play and the higher populations mean less resources for youth programs. Basketball costs nearly nothing to play until AAU ball and kids that show that kind of promise get helped, if needed.

The playgrounds in the metro Northeastern and Midwestern cities
(especially around the Great Lakes) have a totally different basketball culture that breeds ballers with moxie. Just look at ZZ.

You also have to re-recruit your own roster. I’ve heard someone who is a national college basketball media person say that people like Donovan and Stevens left because they were tired of recruiting and enjoy their offseasons.
Imagine being paid millions of dollars a year and having the audacity to believe it’s only a part-time job.

Imagine being paid millions of dollars a year and having the audacity to believe it’s only a part-time job.
Not exactly because they would rather being coaching their roster instead of watching AAU games. I don’t think the GM of the Celtics is a part time gig. You just don’t have to do the stuff that a college coach does.

They've tried to hire Donovan twice and got shot down both times.

Right, and at this point I believe it would be a bad hire for them. Donovan has been out of the college game for too long, and I highly doubt would want to return with the NIL and portal garbage that coaches have to deal with now. I only mention him because it has been a UK wet dream forever, and they might pursue it again.

VN Store

Back