Kentucky lost again

Just unreal. Only 2 of the 10 he hit were uncontested looks. The rest were hand in the face, off-balance, just ridiculous, unconscious makes.

And that, Kentucky, is what it feels like to get "Ryan Cline-d" in the biggest moment of your season.
I get it- there was no expectation that he would hit 10 three's. But I think they maybe could have played him a little differently for a guy who has made 4 two points shots all year. Sheppard and Wagner were originally on him, and they aren't tall (Edit: went back and saw that Reeves was on him later). Put someone taller on him, guard him in his space out top, or even don't chase him out of the paint. At some point, just let him run around inside the arc and pick him outside. If he dares to take a 2 and gets open, then so be it. 10 threes, and it was a 1 point game with a minute to go.

Surely you understand that the Oakland-UK result, irrespective of its glory, is the exception, though, right? Jack G. hitting 10 3s in that environment isn't the norm. That guy is a nobody in the SEC. He's the 3rd guy off the bench even at a place like Mizzou. He started 15 of 35 games at Oakland as a 6th year SR after transferring from Hillsdale College. What you saw last night was an aberration. There's no way he does that night in and night out in the SEC, which is the point PJ is trying to make. This isn't a different version of Dalton Knecht hiding in plain site at Oakland University.

I get that but something is off. You don't see SEC teams in the Final Four. It just isn't happening. Big12 is competitive. Look at all the teams they have that are advancing year in and year out. Other leagues are the same way. Something is off and it seems like we just don't have the consistency in players that you see with these other teams. What I mean is players that you can depend on to show up almost ever night and not have "bad" games where they score under 10 points when the season is on the line.

I get that but something is off. You don't see SEC teams in the Final Four. It just isn't happening. Big12 is competitive. Look at all the teams they have that are advancing year in and year out. Other leagues are the same way. Something is off and it seems like we just don't have the consistency in players that you see with these other teams. What I mean is players that you can depend on to show up almost ever night and not have "bad" games where they score under 10 points when the season is on the line.
But some talking heads had KY, Auburn and Tennessee in the FF
😂

Reactions: volplaya8
I get it- there was no expectation that he would hit 10 three's. But I think they maybe could have played him a little differently for a guy who has made 4 two points shots all year. Sheppard and Wagner were originally on him, and they aren't tall (Edit: went back and saw that Reeves was on him later). Put someone taller on him, guard him in his space out top, or even don't chase him out of the paint. At some point, just let him run around inside the arc and pick him outside. If he dares to take a 2 and gets open, then so be it. 10 threes, and it was a 1 point game with a minute to go.
I see you made the edit, but yes, Reeves guarded him for a while and has several inches on him. I'll say this, he only hit 2 open 3s. The other 8 were off-balance and a hand in his face. Or at least close enough to theoretically affect his shot. He was just unconscious. Not to mention fearless, which is what you have to be in that environment.

At the end of the day, UK only gave up 80 points, which seems like a lot, but for them, that's their average. And that kid scored 32 of them, so it's hard to say they lost because of their defense. It's almost exactly what they did to Tennessee in Knoxville. They gave Knecht his 40, but held the rest of the team to 41. Last night, they gave Jack G. his 32, but held the rest to 48. The rest shot 37%. UK just isn't going to win when Wagner, Sheppard, and Dillingham shoot a combined 3-19, share 8 rebounds, and 10 assists in 71 minutes.

Gohlke wasn't the primary threat for Oakland on the scouting report. Not even the secondary threat. You listed his limitations. He's an opportunistic shooter who just caught fire and became the primary offensive weapon. No one else shot over 50% for them. UK tried to adjust by running different defenders at him, even a taller one. He just shot over and around them. To your point, though, maybe they should have tried to put Ivisic put on him. Gohlke isn't driving around him and shooting over him would have been very difficult.

All fair points, but I think that's an entirely different conversation than implying that a player like Gohlke belongs in the SEC getting major minutes.

Reactions: Lankykong
I see you made the edit, but yes, Reeves guarded him for a while and has several inches on him. I'll say this, he only hit 2 open 3s. The other 8 were off-balance and a hand in his face. Or at least close enough to theoretically affect his shot. He was just unconscious. Not to mention fearless, which is what you have to be in that environment.

At the end of the day, UK only gave up 80 points, which seems like a lot, but for them, that's their average. And that kid scored 32 of them, so it's hard to say they lost because of their defense. It's almost exactly what they did to Tennessee in Knoxville. They gave Knecht his 40, but held the rest of the team to 41. Last night, they gave Jack G. his 32, but held the rest to 48. The rest shot 37%. UK just isn't going to win when Wagner, Sheppard, and Dillingham shoot a combined 3-19, share 8 rebounds, and 10 assists in 71 minutes.

Gohlke wasn't the primary threat for Oakland on the scouting report. Not even the secondary threat. You listed his limitations. He's an opportunistic shooter who just caught fire and became the primary offensive weapon. No one else shot over 50% for them. UK tried to adjust by running different defenders at him, even a taller one. He just shot over and around them. To your point, though, maybe they should have tried to put Ivisic put on him. Gohlke isn't driving around him and shooting over him would have been very difficult.
Fair enough. I just think that someone has to know the analytics on his shooting, and after he makes a couple, you have to overplay him from the top down. It's not easy. They were chasing all night, and you almost have to dare them to pass to him open inside.

Well Florida is about to lose again. SEC sucks, can't win in tournament. Misses easy layups, can't guard, can't score when needed.

Watching Auburn. Now they are struggling with Yale.

Same crap every year. No manhood with these teams.

Well Florida is about to lose again. SEC sucks, can't win in tournament. Misses easy layups, can't guard, can't score when needed.

Watching Auburn. Now they are struggling with Yale.

Same crap every year. No manhood with these teams.
I love it. I’m not an SEC fan, I’m a Vol fan.

You guys arguing semantics and stats in this thread are missing the entire point- Kentucky Lost Again. Think about that for a minute.
Ashley Judd is crying.
And the Vols are still alive!

Oh, and Auburn is gone too. To Yale.

And Kentucky Lost Again.

One day is the very distant future, historians will be discussing the greatest events in God’s creation throughout early civilization… the airplane will come up….the wheel will come up…..penicillin will be mentioned ….. the telephone …. the bamboo fly rod….. the electric guitar……And this thread.

You guys arguing semantics and stats in this thread are missing the entire point- Kentucky Lost Again. Think about that for a minute.
Ashley Judd is crying.
And the Vols are still alive!

Oh, and Auburn is gone too. To Yale.

And Kentucky Lost Again.

One day is the very distant future, historians will be discussing the greatest events in God’s creation throughout early civilization… the airplane will come up….the wheel will come up…..penicillin will be mentioned ….. the telephone …. the bamboo fly rod….. the electric guitar……And this thread.

Yep, and we could’ve had a companion ‘Auburn lost’ thread, but it was deleted by mods

Do we need Vandy Lost, Bama Lost, GA Lost, LSU Lost, Florida Lost, USCjr Lost, Texas A&M Lost, Arkansas Lost, and the other 3 Lost threads?

Nope, but when a sizable portion of our own fan base regularly posts to lament good ole Bruce, the coach who got away, I think we can take unique satisfaction when Auburn screws the pooch, especially by getting sent home by Yale. I think people would’ve enjoyed the sequel thread, but that is just my humble opinion.

Reactions: UT_Dutchman
I think Cal is gone but who do they get? Fans want someone that’s won a Natty but the only one I see is Wright and he’s not coming back to coaching. Shaka Smart? Musselman?

Nope, but when a sizable portion of our own fan base regularly posts to lament good ole Bruce, the coach who got away, I think we can take unique satisfaction when Auburn screws the pooch, especially by getting sent home by Yale. I think people would’ve enjoyed the sequel thread, but that is just my humble opinion.

There’s always the “Official Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum thread”. It’s deceptively named but is for topics not necessarily TN basketball.

A sizable portion also hate all things Bama and Vandy.

What about Sampson getting another shot at a big time program?
Houston is a big time program and now with high major conference backing and credibility. Sampson has had the taste of a blue blood at Indiana. At his age (he'll be 69 this year), I'd bet he's content at Houston.

Reactions: Cosmo Kramer

VN Store

Back