Kentucky lost again

The most likely scenario is that they bring Cal back. I know the SEC schools have shown that they can make money appear out of thin air if they want to fire a coach bad enough, but Mitch Barnhardt knows he screwed up in giving Cal the lifetime contract. He can’t compound that mistake by firing Cal without having a plan for a sure fire upgrade, and I’m not really sure there is an obvious upgrade right now for them.

I'd agree with this. Cal has them by the short hairs, and Barnhart knows it. Besides, there really isn't a drop dead great alternative out there who is ready to make a move like this. Drew is locked up at Baylor and has won big there, Donovan isn't returning to the college game, and Oats and Pearl just don't seem like Kentucky material.

My guess is that they lay low, let the furor die as much as possible, and begin the process of selling Cal staying as the best option. I also agree with an earlier post that the "covid year" made it much more difficult to compete against older players with a freshman heavy roster, something that will change beginning next season.

Cal could help himself immensely by hiring a solid X's and O's, game day savvy assistant, but his ego is so big that is unlikely.

These buy-outs for some of these coaches are mind boggling to me. Cal, Jimbo Fisher. I'm sure KY can come up with the the $ to buy Cal out if they really want to, BB is king there. $30M for Cal, then a buy-out for a new coach and assistants, insane about of $. A&M did it.

These buy-outs for some of these coaches are mind boggling to me. Cal, Jimbo Fisher. I'm sure KY can come up with the the $ to buy Cal out if they really want to, BB is king there. $30M for Cal, then a buy-out for a new coach and assistants, insane about of $. A&M did it.
Easier for a football program to do it. Much more money involved in football.

Bryce Drew has as many NCAA tourney wins in the past 4 years as Cal. Lol.

I hope Calipari stays, but the thing is there isn’t a coach out there that is likely to take that job that scares me. In this era of college basketball, with so many schools invested in it, I don’t see a situation where Kentucky hires some prodigal son that brings UK back to the mountaintop of crushing everyone.

It’s not like Kentucky has been bad. They just haven’t been elite. They still finished 2nd in the league this year. I’m not sure there is a candidate out there that is a clear upgrade over Calipari that would make me think “The SEC is so screwed now.”

Not exactly because they would rather being coaching their roster instead of watching AAU games. I don’t think the GM of the Celtics is a part time gig. You just don’t have to do the stuff that a college coach does.
Thanks for mansplaining coaching to me. I would have never figured out what they do without you.

So they lost the first round game because they ran out of NIL money instead of Cal?
It's quite a show over there. Rumors that Klutch was dictating who started. Which was why Dillingham came off the bench. Assistant coaches having alcohol issues. Their collective being broke. They couldn't come up with the buyout money because the big boosters hate Cal so much they can't stomach paying him so much money. It should be quite a show next year. Hopefully this thread is on top 20 or so times next season.

Reactions: DC_Vol
It's quite a show over there. Rumors that Klutch was dictating who started. Which was why Dillingham came off the bench. Assistant coaches having alcohol issues. Their collective being broke. They couldn't come up with the buyout money because the big boosters hate Cal so much they can't stomach paying him so much money. It should be quite a show next year. Hopefully this thread is on top 20 or so times next season.

Sh*t like this makes me so thankful for Barnes and the way he runs a clean program without unnecessary drama.

Can’t imagine having to deal with stupidity on both sides.

God, they are in for a turmoil type of season next year.

They just keep losing. Per multiple RR posters this has all been confirmed.

Several different Kentucky beat writers have said the is is all false. Only thing that has a shred of truth was Dillingham apparently had a heated verbal exchange with Burks at halftime, but there was no actual physical fight.

Still, funny to see all of the turmoil and the rumor mill churn somewhere else for once.

Reactions: CornbreadVol
Several different Kentucky beat writers have said the is is all false. Only thing that has a shred of truth was Dillingham apparently had a heated verbal exchange with Burks at halftime, but there was no actual physical fight.

Still, funny to see all of the turmoil and the rumor mill churn somewhere else for once.
I actually saw at least one confirm the NIL issues but the post is calling out the beat writers for hiding this stuff to keep access to the program. (It happens here too, especially on the football side under past regimes.)

Reactions: cncchris33
I actually saw at least one confirm the NIL issues but the post is calling out the beat writers for hiding this stuff to keep access to the program. (It happens here too, especially on the football side under past regimes.)
Yeah, whether it's true or not, not sure I'd buy the beat writers account of things as the truth given they were the target of the post.

VN Store

Back