Jim Tressel (merged)

Yeah we really need a coach that would miss the first 5 games ....not to mention the bowl game if we was to make one......Don't like it at all BOOOOOO Tressel
He already paid the penalty by sitting out 6 games last year as an assistant with the Colts. The program would likely schedule a show cause appearance to request a waiver or significant reduction because of this and that he's been removed for 2 seasons now.

Couldn't beat an SEC team? Come on he lost 2 national championship games to SEC teams. Not exactly the same as "he can't beat an SEC team". Some of you guys are just ridiculous. Tressel would be a can't miss home run hire. Tressel teams had 9 straight top 20 finishes with 8 of those teams finishing in the top 10. He has a .828 winning percentage which is great in any conference. It's not like the Big Ten is comparable to the sunbelt or wac.

Minus the NCAA thing, Tressel would be the best combo of coach and recruiter we could get IMO! The guy is great at both! Not sure Hart would even consider him bc of the scandal/show clause but to me he I Is the surest thing of the "sure things" out there IMO.

I respectfully disagree. I don't want a guy that couldn't beat an SEC team. I would not be happy with Tressel at all. I think the hire has already been made though and I hope its not Tressel.

Your saying he can't beat an SEC team because you are viewing BCS losses against the best teams in the SEC with Ohio St. We all know the southeast breeds different athletes and given how solid of a recruiter and winner he is he would be great in the SEC. This whole Gruden or bust mentality is ridiculous. I want Gruden as much as anybody but good lord it's getting ridiculous. We are shooting down the idea of having a proven champion!!!!

Great! Vesty already has a losing record in the SEC and most definately a losing record to FL and Bama. :banghead2:
Saban had plenty SEC losses during his tenure....heck he has lost 2 the past 2 seasons alone. That's as many as Tressel has lost (LSU and UF). So, by your twisted logic, Saban isn't qualified to coach in the SEC. :loco:

I'm in. We have to look beyond next year. Tressell is one of the few big names that could turn things around fast. Next year is almost a wash anyway.

Yeah we really need a coach that would miss the first 5 games ....not to mention the bowl game if we was to make one......Don't like it at all BOOOOOO Tressel

Is this for sure what he would have to do if he was hired?

Couldn't beat an SEC team? Come on he lost 2 national championship games to SEC teams. Not exactly the same as "he can't beat an SEC team". Some of you guys are just ridiculous. Tressel would be a can't miss home run hire. Tressel teams had 9 straight top 20 finishes with 8 of those teams finishing in the top 10. He has a .828 winning percentage which is great in any conference. It's not like the Big Ten is comparable to the sunbelt or wac.

While Tressel was at OS he played an SEC team 5 times. The one game he won was vacated. I don't get what makes people think he is the right hire for TN. He benefited from a week conference at Overated U.

Saban had plenty SEC losses during his tenure....heck he has lost 2 the past 2 seasons alone. That's as many as Tressel has lost (LSU and UF). So, by your twisted logic, Saban isn't qualified to coach in the SEC. :loco:

I believe Tressel has also lost to South Carolina

Outside of teh show cause I agree Tressel is probably the best thing out there besides Gruden

Your saying he can't beat an SEC team because you are viewing BCS losses against the best teams in the SEC with Ohio St. We all know the southeast breeds different athletes and given how solid of a recruiter and winner he is he would be great in the SEC. This whole Gruden or bust mentality is ridiculous. I want Gruden as much as anybody but good lord it's getting ridiculous. We are shooting down the idea of having a proven champion!!!!

Maybe he would recruit better talent and do well. Neither of us know that for sure. I think the hire has already been made because of the silence. You can find info on any other coaching search but ours. I dont know with any certainty who is in place but as I said I hope it is NOT Tressel.

Minus the NCAA thing, Tressel would be the best combo of coach and recruiter we could get IMO! The guy is great at both! Not sure Hart would even consider him bc of the scandal/show clause but to me he I Is the surest thing of the "sure things" out there IMO.
+1. I think it would have a little PR sting to it initially, but I honestly feel this whole NCAA business is overblown. Because of Pearl, we've already hightened our compliance oversight efforts. Would be hard for Tressel, having felt the pain of the paddle against his buttocks, to screw things up. He is a good man, and I can't even understand how players trading jerseys for tattoos is an infraction to start with.

Hell, Joe McKnight (former USC RB) was driving a Land Rover (booster's vehicle). That is FAR worse, and yet where is the NCAA on that issue? What about Bama's Book Gate? The NCAA snoops where the stink is. The fanbases of the teams he beat every year, drove the whole BS witch hunt. It's utterly ridiculous that Bama players can sell textbooks they don't even have classes for, for $$$ and yet a player trades his jersey for a tattoo? The tattoo parlor has no booster connections. Even the NCAA ruling stated as much.

Lol, I think Saban has played a few more SEC games than the sweater vest.

While Tressel was at OS he played an SEC team 5 times. The one game he won was vacated. I don't get what makes people think he is the right hire for TN. He benefited from a week conference at Overated U.

Well I checked and Lombardi is dead and Jesus isn't available. What now?

OSU lost to Florida in the 06 NC game, 07 to LSU in the NC game and beat Arkansas in the 2010 Sugar Bowl. The only other game against an SEC school was way back in 2001 which was his first year at OSU. Seriously who out there has been beating top tier SEC teams on a regular basis the last few years? Hint...nobody

Last edited:
He already paid the penalty by sitting out 6 games last year as an assistant with the Colts. The program would likely schedule a show cause appearance to request a waiver or significant reduction because of this and that he's been removed for 2 seasons now.

could be bud....but not sure the NCAA really cares if he sat out games in the NFL......as late as a couple of days ago all the local radio shows are still saying he would have to miss the first 5 games and a bowl game....I obviously have no clue what is true and what isn't ....just sayin

Well I checked and Lombardi is dead and Jesus isn't available. What now?

Honestly I dont think there's any point in speculating except for fun. I believe Hart has his guy and we will know soon. If by some wild chance it is Tressel I would support him and my Vols I just dont see it happening.

Maybe he can get weekends off :D

tressel-working-at-wal-mart.jpg

Reactions: 2 people
Tressel is no Golden, Petrino, Strong, Dykes or Tuberville. His record speaks for itself and is way above average...94-22 10yrs at Ohio State with 10 Bowl appearances. His first year Ohio State had a 7-5 record. The next....14-0; the first 14-0 team in NCAA history. Overall career...229-79-2. It seems like everyone wants to hire a coach that can win, recruit and compete in the SEC...but only if their name is Gruden and/or is pure as the wind driven snow.

Care to elaborate? Just to help you a little, on your fact checking, cause we know everybody does that before stating things as fact....right?

NCAA's official ruling regarding punishments for Tressel and OSU (Refer to page 20 & 21 for Tressel specifically)

http://espn.go.com/photo/preview/!pdfs/111220/ohio_state_report.pdf

I tihnk you took my statement as being literal instead of figurative. Yes, legally Tennessee could hire Tressel and abide by the penalties you pointed out which would include sitting out the first 5 games (this applies to NCAA not NFL, last time I checked the NFL doesn't have any student-athelete's as referenced in the paragraph that lays out the 5 game suspension). This also includes regularly reporting to the NCAA on his activities as coach, a burden in addition to the burdens Tennessee now faces with 2 more years of probation.

However, I stick with my original statement that Tennessee cannot hire Tressel and abide by Hart's statement of the qualities he desires in a coach. It's an un-neccessary risk to take, it's not going to happen.

Reactions: 2 people
Lol, I think Saban has played a few more SEC games than the sweater vest.
Doesn't matter. You're implying that losing to the best the SEC has to offer = inferior coaching. Bob Stoops would fare no better, but I don't see anyone objecting to the prospect of his being hired. Jimbo Fisher lost to UF this year. I don't see anyone claiming that he couldn't compete in the SEC if he coached here.

It's just ignorance talking. None of these other conferences face the level of competition that exists in the SEC, and thus usually fall short against the SEC Champion. Big whoop. Again, he is 1-2 against the SEC in recent BCS bowl appearances. Why does he get NO credit for even getting there?

He was 9-1 against their chief rival, Michigan. That is amazing, if you ask me. Having a coach who can dominate a chief rival is a good thing. It's also why the NCAA ever got involved in the first place. Those Meeshi-gin whiners wailed and cried like a spoiled brat. The NCAA gave them their pacifier, as it were. Now, they have to face Urban Meyer. They should watch what they wish for. :)

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back