Jim Tressel (merged)

Josh Ward ‏@Josh_Ward

Dr. Jerry Punch of ESPN said on WNML Radio he believes Tennessee AD Dave Hart has found a replacement for Derek Dooley

Josh Ward ‏@Josh_Ward

Dr. Punch added he believes Tennessee's new football coach will be introduced soon.

image-billboard-280%255B1%255D.jpg

Reactions: 1 person
If Tressel weren't currently serving a show cause penalty. How would you feel about Tennessee pursuing him?

If Tressel weren't currently serving a show cause penalty. How would you feel about Tennessee pursuing him?

He is a good coach. His team at OSU always struggled against the SEC. Not sure he is right guy for SEC because of that.

He'd be way down my list. He's Fulmer-esque in his style which isn't necessarily bad. But this program needs a shot in the arm. Tressel isn't that kind of coach.

He's a national championship winning HC FROM THE BIG 10. People act as if he sucked in an SEC caliber conference. He took teams to 3 different national championship games (in addition to 4 NC at Youngstown St.) and he consistently dominated his conference. This guy is an upper echelon HC. He runs the same kind of scheme that is winning the SEC right now, strong defense and mistake free offense.

That said, I don't know enough about his sanctions to decide if he's worth the hassle. Tennessee can't afford to get further behind than it already is. If he comes with little to no baggage and Gruden says no, then I would take this guy in a heartbeat.

He's a national championship winning HC FROM THE BIG 10. People act as if he sucked in an SEC caliber conference. He took teams to 3 different national championship games (in addition to 4 NC at Youngstown St.) and he consistently dominated his conference. This guy is an upper echelon HC. He runs the same kind of scheme that is winning the SEC right now, strong defense and mistake free offense.

That said, I don't know enough about his sanctions to decide if he's worth the hassle. Tennessee can't afford to get further behind than it already is. If he comes with little to no baggage and Gruden says no, then I would take this guy in a heartbeat.

From a football standpoint, I think he would be a good hire. I agree that not knowing about the sanctions causes a bit of a fog. If Hart won't offer Gruden or Gruden doesn't accept, then I might go down this path.

THERES A LOT OF CHATTER ON HIRING TRESSELL. jUST GOOGLE HIS NAME & TENNESSEE THIS MORNING. I REALLY WANT GRUDEN THOUGH.:bad:

Has anyone seen his record? Very impressive. I agree with the hire. Despite the NCAA ordeal. He can recruit and coach. Doesn't matter if it's in a weaker conference. More than likely OSU would have been atleast in the top 5 SEC teams when they were on top. That's where Tennessee isn't.

If we don't land Gruden I would be very happy with Tressel, even with the ban. He is an outstanding coach, and I am convinced he would do great at Tennessee.

If we don't land Gruden I would be very happy with Tressel, even with the ban. He is an outstanding coach, and I am convinced he would do great at Tennessee.

I agree! He is a proven winner and excellent coach. May not be popular at first but Id bet the house he'd win here!!

I respectfully disagree. I don't want a guy that couldn't beat an SEC team. I would not be happy with Tressel at all. I think the hire has already been made though and I hope its not Tressel.

Tressel would really be a safer hire than Gruden. He has proven he can win big at the college level, and like it or not Gruden has not. Gruden would always be a risk to take an NFL job. Tressel seems to be a college guy. I hope it's Gruden because I think he's what Tennessee fans need, but at the end of the day I wonder if Tressel would not be the better choice. I guess we will see, :question: well maybe not I guess we will have to hire one of them to see, so I hope we will see:crossfingers:

I respectfully disagree. I don't want a guy that couldn't beat an SEC team. I would not be happy with Tressel at all. I think the hire has already been made though and I hope its not Tressel.

There's a lot of coaches that have trouble beating SEC teams, and remember he was not playing Vandy or KY he was playing the best the SEC had. He also beat a very good Arky team.

Yeah we really need a coach that would miss the first 5 games ....not to mention the bowl game if we was to make one......Don't like it at all BOOOOOO Tressel

If we hire Tressel, I'll probably never watch or attend UT football while he is there. Much less buy season ticks and donate money.

Over-react much?

(NCAA)"Coach Tressell you didn't inform us that some of your players acted inappropriately by trading their jersey for tattoos. How dare you?"

(Tressel)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7OWVM50sBw[/youtube]

I wholeheartedly agree. A whole lot of something about absolutely nothing. :rolleyes:

Couldn't beat an SEC team? Come on he lost 2 national championship games to SEC teams. Not exactly the same as "he can't beat an SEC team". Some of you guys are just ridiculous. Tressel would be a can't miss home run hire. Tressel teams had 9 straight top 20 finishes with 8 of those teams finishing in the top 10. He has a .828 winning percentage which is great in any conference. It's not like the Big Ten is comparable to the sunbelt or wac.

Ellis Johnson just got fired by Southern Miss. I say hire Jim Tressell and hire Ellis Johnson to be his DC. Talk about building a championship defense!

VN Store

Back