JG is da man ... get behind this guy

JG has tremendous upside. When he has been given time to throw he has been extremely accurate (although, like every QB, I am sure he's missed a few). He also has great arm strength that every QB camp coach has raved about. He will only get better, especially once CJP recruits the type of OL he wants. By the time he is a senior, and I'm praying hopefully sooner, he will be tearing up SEC defenses.

I have seen a lot of great QBs over the years, and I sense the demeanor that sets them apart with JG when he's on the field. We just have to give him time to set and throw. It will come.
D4H, is that you?

Reactions: tbh

Oh, So, in 5 games we have thrown the ball team maybe 8 times. I don't care what we did in the previous 2-3 years. We still don't throw the ball deep much.

What is it that he's not learning? He's done everything he's been asked to do as a starter. If we had Bama's OL and he had the time Tua does, I think we'd have different results. It still remains to be seen if our WR's can get separation, because the deep routes take time to get into and JG has to have max protection in order to get it off before getting smacked in the mouth. Many say he holds the ball too long, but don't consider that he has to let routes develop and WR's to get open. If he didn't then there would be a lot more INT's and possible pick 6's.

Without accuracy a QB won't be effective. I don't care how much time or how good the WR's are. How well the OL blocks. The QB could have 5-6 seconds to throw, but if he's not accurate, then that time is for naught. As for JG being Scout team material is pure hate and a far stretch on your behalf. He beat out a mature, proven winner in Chryst. So, who's supposed to supplant him again? Strout (can't read a HS defense much less a P5 one). McBride (won't see the field/had his chance Spring and Fall camps). Maurer (like the aforementioned will need to develop also and will probably RS).

You, sir, are beyond clueless. Now, you are putting JG in a class with Tua. That is laughable and absurd to say the least!!! LOL

Reactions: volfannbama
Hopefully we can find something that the OL can do and just hammer it all game with what ever that may be. Roll our-moving the pocket, Shot-Gun, Max Pro etc. There's a reason why our TE's are non-existent in the passing game, it's because they are busy along with the RB's blocking.

I will agree with you on this. JG still stares down receivers and isn't a SEC calibrer QB. He holds the ball way too long most of the time and doesn't hit many in stride when given a little time to throw. JG just doesn't have it, period. I wish I was wrong and still hopes he proves me wrong. But, it is very doubtful at this point. He has been in the system three years now and still can't think quickly enough to go through his progressions fast enough. You can keep blaming the OL all you want. Yes, the OL isn't good. But, neither is JG!

Reactions: jacvols
Please go back and watch film on his games, he does hold the ball too long and had receives jumping up and down who are open but he refuses to take his eyes off his intended receiver. When CJP said we have to go with what we know I 100% beliee he was speaking about the entire offense and not just the OLine. We are unable to operate with a full playbook because some of the plays require the QB to read a defense or to look off a safety and JG simply is not capable. It is of my humble opinion that next year we will either have a RS freshman starting or we will have a true freshman starting and moving on from there. This is year 3 for JG and his progression reads have not developed. Some of that can be attributed to the previous coaching staff but some of that has to land on the shoulders of the player. He simply is a overachiever on film and in camps but cannot get the job done when it comes to game time.

Take a second and look back at the play by play and see what his 3rd down completion % is..........if you are a big fan of his you will be surprised and disappointed.

^^^ This times a million. It is nice to read a post from someone that don't have his head up his butt or is in COMPLETE DENIAL!!! JG isn't good, period!!!

I will agree with you on this. JG still stares down receivers and isn't a SEC calibrer QB. He holds the ball way too long most of the time and doesn't hit many in stride when given a little time to throw. JG just doesn't have it, period. I wish I was wrong and still hopes he proves me wrong. But, it is very doubtful at this point. He has been in the system three years now and still can't think quickly enough to go through his progressions fast enough. You can keep blaming the OL all you want. Yes, the OL isn't good. But, neither is JG!

You wrote a ton of paragraphs in this thread when you could have just saved everyone's time and said you don't know what you are talking about.

every single you thing you said was wrong.

He would be all SEC with any competent help. He has an NFL arm and is one of the most accurate qbs in college.

He doesn't state down wrs. He goes with the call and makes a quick read. No way the people at home can tell what he is looking at on every pass like y'all claim.

He has hit several passes in stride and deep down the field.

You wrote a ton of paragraphs in this thread when you could have just saved everyone's time and said you don't know what you are talking about.

He would be all SEC with any competent help. He has an NFL arm and is one of the most accurate qbs in college.

He doesn't state down wrs. He goes with the call and makes a quick read. No way the people at home can tell what he is looking at on every pass like y'all claim.

Watch the bloody film and you will see receivers jumping up and down waving their hands with no defense around them and he does not see it. You need to put the bong down if you think he is anywhere near the top 2/3rds of the SEC QB's. He may be the worst in the league, I do not care big of an arm he has, he does not have a big enough brain to process it all. NO WAY HE PLAYS ON SUNDAY EVER!!!!!!

Why do JG lovers always go to completion percentage? There are 7 QB's with higher completion % and far more attempts. He is not good, He is not a leader, He will be replaced next year.

Reactions: vols 30
Please go back and watch film on his games, he does hold the ball too long and had receives jumping up and down who are open but he refuses to take his eyes off his intended receiver. When CJP said we have to go with what we know I 100% beliee he was speaking about the entire offense and not just the OLine. We are unable to operate with a full playbook because some of the plays require the QB to read a defense or to look off a safety and JG simply is not capable. It is of my humble opinion that next year we will either have a RS freshman starting or we will have a true freshman starting and moving on from there. This is year 3 for JG and his progression reads have not developed. Some of that can be attributed to the previous coaching staff but some of that has to land on the shoulders of the player. He simply is a overachiever on film and in camps but cannot get the job done when it comes to game time.

Take a second and look back at the play by play and see what his 3rd down completion % is..........if you are a big fan of his you will be surprised and disappointed.
I have one honest question. How can you tell that Guarantano holds on to the ball to long, and he can’t read a defense? This is the worst Offensive line that I have seen in 28 years of watching Tennessee football. How can you conclude that Guarantano cannot read a defense when he never has time and never has a clean pocket to throw from. I think it’s easy to hone in and blame the quarterback when you really don’t understand the big picture. The big picture is painted like this Peyton Manning in his prime would suck behind this offensive line, and Guarantano is much better than what you see. As the line begins to gel( maybe wishful thinking) he will start to look a lot better to those of you that blame all the offenses ills on the qb.

PROS??? Really, short of out performing Jesus Christ himself at the combine, this kid has zero shot at the pros. Bray is a far more adapted QB for the pros and cannot get in a game. JG wont even be an UDFA.
Comparing him to Bray is it terrible Misservice to guarantano. Bray's one big problem is that he was dead between the ears and proud of it.

Throwing the ball accurately has never been his problem. Reading defense and going through his progressions are where he’s lacking.

And not being able to make something out of nothing.

You either have that knack or you don't. You can be a good QB without the but you better be able to consistently throw guys open.

Last edited:
And not being able to make something out of nothing.

You either have that knack or you don't. You can be a good QB without the but you better be able to consistently throw guys open.

I believe very few people in here understand the concept of throwing the receiver open. McBride was great at it in high school. In his film, the ball was long gone before the receiver made his cut. I would love to see him get some snaps this year but I'm afraid he's probably gonna be a transfer candidate.

Comparing him to Bray is it terrible Misservice to guarantano. Bray's one big problem is that he was dead between the ears and proud of it.

Was not comparing the two. Was saying Bray is a far better QB and cant make a dent in on Sunday. JG has no shot at Sunday.

Was not comparing the two. Was saying Bray is a far better QB and cant make a dent in on Sunday. JG has no shot at Sunday.

He has a shot. Even Petermen made it and they guy who was mainly a backup here several years ago. If he keeps improving.

I actually disagree. To me, he is Worley 2.0. He is a guy the new staff inherited will be a place holder for a year or two until the new staff gets the roster where the majority of the team are "their players." (guys they recruited and not holdovers from Butch's staff)

Like Worley, JG is nothing more than a victim of a crappy situation. Looking back at the Butch years, Peterman, Dobbs, Ferguson should have never touched the field at all in his first year. I know injuries forced a lot of those, but go back to the Florida week after the Oregon game. Butch made the switch to pull Worley and put Nate in to make his first collegiate start in the Swamp. Was a trainwreck and he broke his thumb. Ever since that game in the Swamp, Butch was always snakebit in managing QB's....

Pruitt just came from a team that won a title because of the backup. No one wants to win now more than Pruitt, but he also knows it is a long game. KC is here for one year only and as long JG doesn't get hurt, JT ain't touching the field because the experience this year isn't worth it at all. I do wish KC would get more PT because JG isn't lighting it up and football is all about a game of sparking.

The majority of the players on the roster right now won't have any pro prospects which is sad, but they got caught in a sh!tty situation with the 4-8 year and controversial coaching search. I'm happy we got Pruitt. But at the same time, these players have been thru an ordeal in a matter of 12-15 months that most college players never see. Everyone needs to realize we just need to get thru these first two seasons with Pruitt before any major strides get taken. As long as there is a win improvement, be it 1 game or how every many more, next season, things will be alright.

The majority of players on most rosters don't have pro prospects. However in 5 years if you look back I think you'll see many of these guys recruited by CBJ playing professionally.

Reactions: johnrlansford

UT's record since he took over as starting QB is horrible. But it's everyone else's fault.

Our offense is boring and predictable because there is not much of a threat at QB

Reactions: piratelifeforme
“JG’s the BEST at everything. Look at this one particular stat cherry-picked to make him look good.”

“But what about these other stats and win-loss record that are really not good? Have you seen him run? The staring down receivers? The inability to pick up on adjustments pre-snap? Holding the ball too long?”

“Oh no one could do those well behind this offensive line. And that play calling. And Fulmer & Pruitt hijacking the offense and stuff. He’s not responsible for that stuff. But he’s totally, solely responsible for anything that might be good. Also he’s young and is just getting ready to take off. Get behind him or cheer for Bama.”

>> I wish we could have a real discussion about the QB position through the season without the personal biases becoming overwhelming and create division. Let’s just call him QB1 from now on. And we’ll call Keller QB1.75. Maybe not seeing the name or initials will keep the people from getting emotionally triggered.

His completion percentage is good because he dont take no chances..He make the safe short throw all the time..Who gives a damn about a high completion rate when its not producing TD's nor wins..I want to see him take chances and be a playmaker with the ball instead of being scared to make a mistake..His stats are misleading to me imo. Strong as JG arm is he never throw in tight windows nor throw the middle of the field..

Nkosi Perry out of Miami has 11 tds and 3 int for the year with only 2 starts and few games of mop up duties..JG dont stand out like that as a QB..

He has a shot. Even Petermen made it and they guy who was mainly a backup here several years ago. If he keeps improving.[/QUOTE

We would forever be in your debt if before your next post please add a pre-quil that you will omit important information or statistics that do not fit your agenda. Nathan Peterman in 9 career games at UT was 20-43 for 94 yards and 2 int.......you forgot to mention his stop in Pitt where he played in 26 games was 378 - 619 and almost 5200 yards while throwing 47 TD and 15 int.

I would say that his last 2 years and his performance at the combine for him a place on an NFL team and not his time at UT. To say JG has a shot playing the way he has because Peterman made it is misleading. JG would have to make a miraculous turn around and learn a tremendous amount of skill to match the kind of play that Peterman put up while at Pitt.

I think you’re absolutely correct. I’ve noticed this especially when it’s a short pass near the line of scrimmage. As soon as the ball is snapped his head turns toward the target and doesn’t move giving the LBs and S plenty of time to read it and be in position to blow the play up. It makes it so easy for a defense when all they have to do is watch JGs helmet after the ball is snapped to know exactly where he’s going with the ball.
I haven't payed that much attention but way too many posters allude to this so it's likely true. It's also likely the 1st thing our opponents' DB's are told to look for. 3rdly it's the one thing along with play action fakes, that a QB coach should teach. Looking off the safety is a common trait that good QB's utilize as well as carrying out play fakes designed to stall LBers and DB's. I don't think JG utilizes either to any effective degree. JMO

^^^ This times a million. It is nice to read a post from someone that don't have his head up his butt or is in COMPLETE DENIAL!!! JG isn't good, period!!!

Scott Frost was able to flip Martinez to Nebraska and had we got him he would have beaten JG out of starting position IMO. Screw the record we need to see a lot of JTS in the last 4 games as well as JJR and use the redshirt on both of them. I can't see getting 6 wins but would go a long way in developing this team with the xtra practice.

VN Store

Back