JG is da man ... get behind this guy

I'm pretty sure he comes out of the huddle, knows who he wants to throw to, and never checks down the other receivers.

So many times this season he's had receivers wide open waving their arms like they are doing jumping jacks, while he futilely waits for a receiver in double coverage to get open.

That's what happens when you know you can't trust your OL, and you only have 2-3 seconds to get rid of the ball instead of the normal 4-5. You simply don't have time to go through your progressions.

That's what happens when you know you can't trust your OL, and you only have 2-3 seconds to get rid of the ball instead of the normal 4-5. You simply don't have time to go through your progressions.

Except he does it even when given time. The OL actually gave him decent protection against Georgia surprisingly, and he still lasered on a single target.

Reactions: Rockyjr and sjt18
The only SEC D he will tear apart is ours as a senior, cause he will be scout team QB after being recruited over. The learning curve is too steep for him and we do not have the time it takes to let him learn.

I actually disagree. To me, he is Worley 2.0. He is a guy the new staff inherited will be a place holder for a year or two until the new staff gets the roster where the majority of the team are "their players." (guys they recruited and not holdovers from Butch's staff)

Like Worley, JG is nothing more than a victim of a crappy situation. Looking back at the Butch years, Peterman, Dobbs, Ferguson should have never touched the field at all in his first year. I know injuries forced a lot of those, but go back to the Florida week after the Oregon game. Butch made the switch to pull Worley and put Nate in to make his first collegiate start in the Swamp. Was a trainwreck and he broke his thumb. Ever since that game in the Swamp, Butch was always snakebit in managing QB's....

Pruitt just came from a team that won a title because of the backup. No one wants to win now more than Pruitt, but he also knows it is a long game. KC is here for one year only and as long JG doesn't get hurt, JT ain't touching the field because the experience this year isn't worth it at all. I do wish KC would get more PT because JG isn't lighting it up and football is all about a game of sparking.

The majority of the players on the roster right now won't have any pro prospects which is sad, but they got caught in a sh!tty situation with the 4-8 year and controversial coaching search. I'm happy we got Pruitt. But at the same time, these players have been thru an ordeal in a matter of 12-15 months that most college players never see. Everyone needs to realize we just need to get thru these first two seasons with Pruitt before any major strides get taken. As long as there is a win improvement, be it 1 game or how every many more, next season, things will be alright.

Reactions: gog1 and tbh
I will always be behind our team and QB no matter who he is. That said, I don’t have much confidence in JG right now. That’s not to say he won’t grow as he gains experience— in years past, the best QBs were usually Jr’s and Sr’s (and guys like Tua are the exceptions not the rule)

not sure who's compiling these stats and who qualifies "catchable" balls. I've watched every game this year and he sure seems to be to be a terrible down field passer. I guess if we say that an overthrown ball is "catchable" if the receiver were in a different spot on the field... well, OK. I'll buy the hype when he actually has a good game against an SEC school.

Reactions: Rockyjr and 901Vol
PROS??? Really, short of out performing Jesus Christ himself at the combine, this kid has zero shot at the pros. Bray is a far more adapted QB for the pros and cannot get in a game. JG wont even be an UDFA.
Jesus Christ had a terrible combine. 0 reps of 225. Cross may have held him back there, but it absolutely killed him on speed and agility drills, station to station. His forty was abysmal. He got a lil preachy during team interviews, with some gms referring to him as distant and aloof, and obsessed with mustard seeds. But he still may get drafted just because of who his daddy is. Probably go UFA route. Looks like the combine really separates the wheat from the chaff, lot of these guys who get billed as the second coming look really mortal once you get those measurables.

Pros: wingspan. Can walk on water.
Cons: flexibility, sandals

Outcome may go 6-7 round, a few gms really seem to love him, but probably undrafted free agent.

PROS??? Really, short of out performing Jesus Christ himself at the combine, this kid has zero shot at the pros. Bray is a far more adapted QB for the pros and cannot get in a game. JG wont even be an UDFA.
Pretty sure he won't be there this year.... too many other obligations

I will always be behind our team and QB no matter who he is. That said, I don’t have much confidence in JG right now. That’s not to say he won’t grow as he gains experience— in years past, the best QBs were usually Jr’s and Sr’s (and guys like Tua are the exceptions not the rule)

I think he realistically has this season and maybe half a season next year to make big strides and improvements. I don't think Pruitt will be as firm in his "starter won't get benched" stance once he gets thru the Bama game next year when our schedule softens up.

It seems like we have more trouble out of the offensive line on running plays than anything. I dont see how any of this is JGs fault when the only time he gets to throw is 3rd and long or on fourth down when everyone knows he has to throw it. Hes been pretty good on first down passes.

VE, can you explain why, on 3rd and 7 (first possession or any) that the WR is running out only 3 yards -- how, in practice, is JG permitting his receivers to run this type of route on 3rd down and 7 type situation (in practice) ?

Did Coach Pruitt ever see these types of routes in his days at Bama or FL State? Why allow these here?

VE, can you explain why, on 3rd and 7 (first possession or any) that the WR is running out only 3 yards -- how, in practice, is JG permitting his receivers to run this type of route on 3rd down and 7 type situation (in practice) ?

Did Coach Pruitt ever see these types of routes in his days at Bama or FL State? Why allow these here?

Looks like one man trips over another and they all just try to make something out of nothing.

I like what he had done on a lot of plays. I wish he was a faster thinker and could hit some screens on some of those all out rushes to chandler or a wr. Standing over three seconds still trying to get a throw that he is locked in on is the worse thing he is doing.

What starting QB has the worst career winning recording in UT history? JG isn't he like 3 and 9. 1-6('17) 2-3('18) JG might end up with the worst if he sticks around. Guys who lose dont usually stick around the position long but I understand when rebuilding you need consistency..

Reactions: Rockyjr
JG is accurate with his passing but holds on to the ball too long and his progressions are slow. This has been evident now for his whole career at UT so far which is why that factor plus a below average o line is getting him crushed.

It’s a misconception that he’s holding on to the ball too long this year. He’s honestly not. It’s just the line isn’t giving him time. Huge difference.

You have no idea if he’s going through his progressions or not because you don’t know his progressions.

Last edited:
been a JG fan from day one...he just needs me to call the plays for him...:D

GO VOLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Needs a lot of work. Holds the ball too long, takes sacks he shouldn't, doesn't read defense very well or he doesn't have the freedom to check at the line, one or the other. Arm strength is good. Never can get to his 2nd and 3rd option most of the time because there isn't enough time. Still though. When it ain't there, i'd like to see some of that dual threat he was supposed to be. We're too predictable right now. Teams know they can just load the box and come after him or stuff the run. They have no fear of us throwing it over their heads, or JG taking off. So take off when things breakdown. Doesn't have to be Dobbs but just put the doubt in their heads with a few attempts. He just doesn't look comfortable running. Proves that scouting reports and rankings out of highschool really mean squat. Oh and give Ty Chandler the damn ball. I like some of the other runningbacks, but Chandler is clearly the best of the bunch. When we become less predictable magically everything will look better, oline, rb's, qb, wr's, Te's.. All of it.

Reactions: Rockyjr
I'm pretty sure he comes out of the huddle, knows who he wants to throw to, and never checks down the other receivers.

So many times this season he's had receivers wide open waving their arms like they are doing jumping jacks, while he futilely waits for a receiver in double coverage to get open.

Video Link? I haven't seen many open wide receivers that he has missed. He has made quiet a few great throws but has limited his mistakes JMHO!

Reactions: k-town_king
Yeah he does take care of the football well but he’s also 5 games in with only 4 TDs so yes I think he has trouble reading defenses cause he does have arm talent.

If anything it is because we over commit to the run even when it isn't productive, JG should have more TDs but they just aren't throwing it enough period!

VN Store

Back