JG is da man ... get behind this guy

Give it a rest already! He is our starting QB and I am pretty sure everybody in this thread knows this and doesn't expect it to change. Support the guy all u want, talk about his accuracy and stats, but at the end of the day it is about W's! Also to note, he is nowhere in the league of will grier or Kyler Murray they have far more attempts and still producing high completion % not to mention they each have over 1700 yds. passing already. Please do not post anymore JG stats until he hits 2000 yds passing, which I expect to be sometime when he learns to read defenses and make faster progressions.

Reactions: tbh
I'm pretty sure he comes out of the huddle, knows who he wants to throw to, and never checks down the other receivers.

So many times this season he's had receivers wide open waving their arms like they are doing jumping jacks, while he futilely waits for a receiver in double coverage to get open.

I think you’re absolutely correct. I’ve noticed this especially when it’s a short pass near the line of scrimmage. As soon as the ball is snapped his head turns toward the target and doesn’t move giving the LBs and S plenty of time to read it and be in position to blow the play up. It makes it so easy for a defense when all they have to do is watch JGs helmet after the ball is snapped to know exactly where he’s going with the ball.

This post is a joke. JG is a CHOKER, period. JG isn't a GAMER!!! The W's are what counts. I am so sick of everyone blaming the OL. How did Crompton do his senior year with two walkons (both short for OLs at 6.1 and underweight at 260/270 which the weight was probably overstated) on the OL? That OL was much less talented than the one we have now.

University of Tennessee Athletics
University of Tennessee Athletics

....................................................PC PA Comp% YDS Avg PC TDs Ints
Crompton 2009 Tennessee 224 384 58.3 2,800 7.3 27 13

Yes, Crompton's completion ratio wasn't good. But, he threw twice as many TDs as picks, more than 2 TDs a game and about 215 yards per game. JG couldn't accomplish that against the weakest Power 5 Conference, much less the best one!!!

The OL isn't terrible. JG stares down one receiver often and doesn't get rid of the ball quick enough at times as well. Ok, the WRs haven't been wide open. But, when have you seen him lead a receiver much or throw deep balls with pinpoint accuracy? His completion percentage is inflated because UT doesn't throw the ball deep hardly ever!!! The numbers above isn't his completion percentage either. A good QB leads his receivers or throws behind them when necessary to give them the best chance to catch the ball. Throw the damn ball deep and let JJ or MC go get it or get a PI!!! It is still astonishing to me that KC hasn't got more chances. I think the staff is trying to determine if JG or JTS is the future QB at this point.

Trust me, I hope he proves me wrong the rest of this season starting this weekend with a W. I will travel a long way to make the game. I just don't see it happening. I see JTS or BM as the QB next year!!! You watch and see!!!!

The Maurer guy will have much better stats and throw for much more yards and TDs in one year than JG did in 4 years. OP, have you seen JGs high school stats? JG didn't even start his freshman or sophomore year. Does that sound like an elite QB to you??? The stats below aren't elite in any way, shape, or form. JG is another CBJ recruit that was way overrated!!! These stats are not impressive at all for high school.

Offense
Passing
Year Grade Team,,,, GP Comp... Att..... Yds ........C% ....Avg,,,,Y/G,,, C/G....,,, TD...... TD/G.. Int Totals.................................42.....253....417......3028......607......12.0.....72.1.............6.0.......23.....0.5...,,,,,,,,,....16

Last edited:
Reactions: tbh
JG is accurate with his passing but holds on to the ball too long and his progressions are slow. This has been evident now for his whole career at UT so far which is why that factor plus a below average o line is getting him crushed.
This

Reactions: VolsGrad1989
The only SEC D he will tear apart is ours as a senior, cause he will be scout team QB after being recruited over. The learning curve is too steep for him and we do not have the time it takes to let him learn.

What is it that he's not learning? He's done everything he's been asked to do as a starter. If we had Bama's OL and he had the time Tua does, I think we'd have different results. It still remains to be seen if our WR's can get separation, because the deep routes take time to get into and JG has to have max protection in order to get it off before getting smacked in the mouth. Many say he holds the ball too long, but don't consider that he has to let routes develop and WR's to get open. If he didn't then there would be a lot more INT's and possible pick 6's.

Without accuracy a QB won't be effective. I don't care how much time or how good the WR's are. How well the OL blocks. The QB could have 5-6 seconds to throw, but if he's not accurate, then that time is for naught. As for JG being Scout team material is pure hate and a far stretch on your behalf. He beat out a mature, proven winner in Chryst. So, who's supposed to supplant him again? Strout (can't read a HS defense much less a P5 one). McBride (won't see the field/had his chance Spring and Fall camps). Maurer (like the aforementioned will need to develop also and will probably RS).

Reactions: k-town_king
Except he does it even when given time. The OL actually gave him decent protection against Georgia surprisingly, and he still lasered on a single target.

He completed 62% of his passes. He missed bad on a short roll out I'd admit. He missed deep once (out of bounds). 143 yds isn't anything to write home about, but tell me the last Tennessee QB that went through progressions and just ripped opposing defenses? This is the worst OL I've ever seen here. That's to include the 2009 OL. So tell me who we've had that checked down or saw the entire field? Tee? 54%. Ginger? - 50%. Bray? - 59%. Cromp Dog? (limited to one side of the field) - 55%. Dobbs? - 61.5%? Ainge - 60.5%? Worley Bird - 59%? JG's completion percentage is 62.5% higher than all of them. I'm using completion % as a measuring stick because it reflects accuracy. They all threw screens and quick throws to the flats, but all of them had better OL's also, which is telling. By they way all QB's lock on. Almighty Peyton locked on to WR's his entire professional career. Granted he could read a defense, he still got baited too.

He completed 62% of his passes. He missed bad on a short roll out I'd admit. He missed deep once (out of bounds). 143 yds isn't anything to write home about, but tell me the last Tennessee QB that went through progressions and just ripped opposing defenses? This is the worst OL I've ever seen here. That's to include the 2009 OL. So tell me who we've had that checked down or saw the entire field? Tee? 54%. Ginger? - 50%. Bray? - 59%. Cromp Dog? (limited to one side of the field) - 55%. Dobbs? - 61.5%? Ainge - 60.5%? Worley Bird - 59%? JG's completion percentage is 62.5% higher than all of them. I'm using completion % as a measuring stick because it reflects accuracy. They all threw screens and quick throws to the flats, but all of them had better OL's also, which is telling. By they way all QB's lock on. Almighty Peyton locked on to WR's his entire professional career. Granted he could read a defense, he still got baited too.

Do you really believe that Guarantano is better than all 8 SEC QBs, who have a lower completion percentage than him?

SECQBStats.png

Do you really believe that Guarantano is better than all 8 SEC QBs, who have a lower completion percentage than him?

SECQBStats.png

My question to you was Tennessee QB's. Not the league. My point is, you are asking a lot from a position that we have never really had in a long time if ever. You mentioned Crompton and his TD's vs INT's, but he was limited to one side of the field by Kiffin in order to cover his weakness. With that, he was given 2-3 routes to chose from, thus he was fairly succcessful. The delta in all of this is the OL play. You mentioned the 2009 OL, but I'd take that OL and Coach Cregg. As bad as they seemed, Hardesty ran like a mad man behind them, cause they opened some holes or at least occupied space long enough to let Hardesty get going.

Dobbs - 53 passing TDs
Bray - 69 passing TDs
Crompton - 27 passing TDs senior year

I’d argue they all saw the field better than JG. You don’t score that many touchdowns if you don’t know where to go with the ball. That 2016 O-line wasn’t very good either Dobbs covered it up.

Reactions: VolsGrad1989
Dobbs - 53 passing TDs
Bray - 69 passing TDs
Crompton - 27 passing TDs senior year

I’d argue they all saw the field better than JG. You don’t score that many touchdowns if you don’t know where to go with the ball. That 2016 O-line wasn’t very good either Dobbs covered it up.

KInd of hard to see the field, when you're looking up at the clouds over head. Yes, they have the TD's, but they also had a OC named Chaney who we all know loves to throw. I'd take the 2016 OL over this one anyday also. This is an all-time worst. It's like they just sat and drank Gatorade while the rest of the team worked in practice last year. I just those mental reps are showing their worth right now.

Hopefully we can find something that the OL can do and just hammer it all game with what ever that may be. Roll our-moving the pocket, Shot-Gun, Max Pro etc. There's a reason why our TE's are non-existent in the passing game, it's because they are busy along with the RB's blocking.

My question to you was Tennessee QB's. Not the league. My point is, you are asking a lot from a position that we have never really had in a long time if ever. You mentioned Crompton and his TD's vs INT's, but he was limited to one side of the field by Kiffin in order to cover his weakness. With that, he was given 2-3 routes to chose from, thus he was fairly succcessful. The delta in all of this is the OL play. You mentioned the 2009 OL, but I'd take that OL and Coach Cregg. As bad as they seemed, Hardesty ran like a mad man behind them, cause they opened some holes or at least occupied space long enough to let Hardesty get going.

What does any of their performances, have to do with what we see from JG every saturday? Guarantano is judged verses his peers in 2018, not the performances of former UT QBs.

Now, tell me his record again as a starting QB?

Nb4 someone blames a coach, another position group, or the price of tea in China for the dismal record instead of poor Qb play
^Does not understand the game of football^

KInd of hard to see the field, when you're looking up at the clouds over head. Yes, they have the TD's, but they also had a OC named Chaney who we all know loves to throw. I'd take the 2016 OL over this one anyday also. This is an all-time worst. It's like they just sat and drank Gatorade while the rest of the team worked in practice last year. I just those mental reps are showing their worth right now.
Interesting Tennessee is tied for 4th in number of sacks allowed at 8. They are tied with South Carolina and Georgia. Vandy, Mizzu and Alabama are the only 3 teams with fewer sacks.

For a reference, last year he averaged nearly 6 sacks per start.

I believe we are in deep s--t with our QB situation this year and next year. If JG can't get this thing turned around, and we wind up with Chryst starting, we're in the same position next year. Chryst will be gone and JG will be the only QB on the team with any meaningful game experience. Pruitt must give one of the other two QB's some meaningful snaps this year. The only way out of this is for JG to somehow get it together and become the QB for the next few years. I don't believe that's gonna happen. I also don't believe we're gonna find a great transfer QB for next year. I say give McBride a shot. I thought he looked pretty good last year when he was in mop up duty. He can't be any worse than what we have right now. Just my thoughts.

Now, tell me his record again as a starting QB?

Nb4 someone blames a coach, another position group, or the price of tea in China for the dismal record instead of poor Qb play
So he plays alone? There aren't others responsible to help win? Or are you just being disingenuous.

FOR ALL THE "HE DON'T CHECK DOWN OR ZEROES IN ONE ONE TARGET GUYS....."

No time to adjust

With college offenses moving at breakneck speed, a quarterback isn’t spending much time, if any, making pre-snap adjustments based on what the defense is showing, and he is probably taking less than 2.5 seconds after the ball is snapped to either throw it, hand it off, or tuck it and run himself. At the end of every play, as the referee spots the ball, college quarterbacks look to the sideline, where the play is signaled in either by a big sign held up or a staff member making various arm motions. And then it’s go time.

In the NFL, plays are radioed into the quarterback in complicated sentence-length strings, and then the quarterback evaluates the defense and makes any necessary adjustments before the snap.

“That’s the biggest thing that the pro guys are frustrated with, is that the college quarterback, for the most part, is managed from the sideline,” Dilfer said. “They are making very few dynamic decisions at the line of scrimmage or after the ball is snapped. Dynamic decision-making before the ball is snapped and after the ball is snapped is what separates the best pro quarterbacks from everybody else.

Read more here: Why star college QBs are struggling in the pros

What is it that he's not learning? He's done everything he's been asked to do as a starter. If we had Bama's OL and he had the time Tua does, I think we'd have different results. It still remains to be seen if our WR's can get separation, because the deep routes take time to get into and JG has to have max protection in order to get it off before getting smacked in the mouth. Many say he holds the ball too long, but don't consider that he has to let routes develop and WR's to get open. If he didn't then there would be a lot more INT's and possible pick 6's.

Without accuracy a QB won't be effective. I don't care how much time or how good the WR's are. How well the OL blocks. The QB could have 5-6 seconds to throw, but if he's not accurate, then that time is for naught. As for JG being Scout team material is pure hate and a far stretch on your behalf. He beat out a mature, proven winner in Chryst. So, who's supposed to supplant him again? Strout (can't read a HS defense much less a P5 one). McBride (won't see the field/had his chance Spring and Fall camps). Maurer (like the aforementioned will need to develop also and will probably RS).

Please go back and watch film on his games, he does hold the ball too long and had receives jumping up and down who are open but he refuses to take his eyes off his intended receiver. When CJP said we have to go with what we know I 100% beliee he was speaking about the entire offense and not just the OLine. We are unable to operate with a full playbook because some of the plays require the QB to read a defense or to look off a safety and JG simply is not capable. It is of my humble opinion that next year we will either have a RS freshman starting or we will have a true freshman starting and moving on from there. This is year 3 for JG and his progression reads have not developed. Some of that can be attributed to the previous coaching staff but some of that has to land on the shoulders of the player. He simply is a overachiever on film and in camps but cannot get the job done when it comes to game time.

Take a second and look back at the play by play and see what his 3rd down completion % is..........if you are a big fan of his you will be surprised and disappointed.

VN Store

Back