I've come to believe there is one way that Iowa can win this game

We're going to be in trouble if we don't win on first down, have some three and outs and Iowa can run the football effectively.

Reactions: 2 people
I agree. I really hope people don't think this game will be a gimme. I would honestly go as far as saying this game is a toss up.

Tennessee hasn't shown the consistency for this game to be considered a blow out. But, I will say that IF we are on our A game, they won't be able to hang

Go Vols!

If Iowa played with their A game all year, we would have been undefeated ( in large part because of the schedule). Unfortunately, we only got to see our A game for about four halves of football.

If Iowa plays their A game for a full game, the Vols don't have a shot in hell of winning.

Obviously, I have very little confidence in that happening, or I would have predicted an Iowa win.

Reactions: 1 person
If Iowa played with their A game all year, we would have been undefeated ( in large part because of the schedule). Unfortunately, we only got to see our A game for about four halves of football.

If Iowa plays their A game for a full game, the Vols don't have a shot in hell of winning.

Obviously, I have very little confidence in that happening, or I would have predicted an Iowa win.

I think you may want to revisit what UT's "A" game looks like, my friend. If UT plays our 'A' game for a full game, there is much better than a "shot in hell".

UT's "A" game played Alabama 20-14 for three quarters, blew UK out, blew Utah St out. Blew Ark St out.

I think you may want to revisit what UT's "A" game looks like, my friend. If UT plays our 'A' game for a full game, there is much better than a "shot in hell".

UT's "A" game played Alabama 20-14 for three quarters, blew UK out, blew Utah St out. Blew Ark St out.

Understood, but you also don't have those same players playing now either. If you were healthy, I'd have a different opinion.

Don't get too riled up about it. I still think wwe're way too inconsistent to beat you guys especially with Dobbs coming to the forefront.

We just don't defend mobile QBs/read option attacks very well.

When our A game is there, it makes Iowa-style football fun to watch again. It just hasn't happened nearly enough.

Understood, but you also don't have those same players playing now either. If you were healthy, I'd have a different opinion.

Don't get too riled up about it. I still think wwe're way too inconsistent to beat you guys especially with Dobbs coming to the forefront.

We just don't defend mobile QBs/read option attacks very well.

When our A game is there, it makes Iowa-style football fun to watch again. It just hasn't happened nearly enough.

Sure, we have most of the same players, and a few that have been missing a while since the bowl break. Personally, I'd be a bit embarrassed if I went to another team site, threw out a presumptuous "not a chance in hell if they both played their 'A game'" comment, then had to backtrack to relying on injuries to support it. Just seems a bit like weak-sauce.

Especially if I was lauding a 7-5 team that earned that record with the 55th ranked SOS, against a 6-6 team that had played a top-5 SOS for the year.

I mean... Really...

And then to back it all up by pointing out that my team doesn't match well against the offensive philosophy they'll be facing...

I don't know. I'm just saying I think I would have chosen my words differently.

Maybe... Something along the lines of "I think they would show really well. They're a fun team to watch when it's all clicking." Or even: "I think 'A game' against 'A game', we'd win."

But, "Not a chance in hell?"

I guess we'll see. I hope you guys travel well, all the fans have a great time, and both teams have a great trip. They've earned it.

(I predict we run the ball all over you and the lost WRs aren't too huge a loss. But again, we'll see. That's the fun of expectations. :hi:)

Sure, we have most of the same players, and a few that have been missing a while since the bowl break. Personally, I'd be a bit embarrassed if I went to another team site, threw out a presumptuous "not a chance in hell if they both played their 'A game'" comment, then had to backtrack to relying on injuries to support it. Just seems a bit like weak-sauce.

Especially if I was lauding a 7-5 team that earned that record with the 55th ranked SOS, against a 6-6 team that had played a top-5 SOS for the year.

I mean... Really...

And then to back it all up by pointing out that my team doesn't match well against the offensive philosophy they'll be facing...

I don't know. I'm just saying I think I would have chosen my words differently.

Maybe... Something along the lines of "I think they would show really well. They're a fun team to watch when it's all clicking." Or even: "I think 'A game' against 'A game', we'd win."

But, "Not a chance in hell?"

I guess we'll see. I hope you guys travel well, all the fans have a great time, and both teams have a great trip. They've earned it.

(I predict we run the ball all over you and the lost WRs aren't too huge a loss. But again, we'll see. That's the fun of expectations. :hi:)

I know where you're coming from, but this is an Iowa team that Kirk Herbstreit picked as his preseason darkhorse to be in the four team playoff. For whatever reason, the Hawks just failed to meet expectations.

For that reason, I'm picking Tennessee to win the game. When Iowa is right, they are a very, very good football team. It's not a slight on the Vols, it's just that Iowa's scheme is a "Here we come, try to stop us" approach that is incredibly tough to deal with when the execution is good.

Just so inconsistent this year. Trying to paint a realistic picture.

I know where you're coming from, but this is an Iowa team that Kirk Herbstreit picked as his preseason darkhorse to be in the four team playoff. For whatever reason, the Hawks just failed to meet expectations.

For that reason, I'm picking Tennessee to win the game. When Iowa is right, they are a very, very good football team. It's not a slight on the Vols, it's just that Iowa's scheme is a "Here we come, try to stop us" approach that is incredibly tough to deal with when the execution is good.

Just so inconsistent this year. Trying to paint a realistic picture.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but... Herbstreit's comments neither added to, nor took away from, Iowa's 'A-game'. It was more than likely just a huge swing and miss, as happens every year with unknown teams that are yet to prove what they actually are.

Iowa is a 7-5 team with a mid-50 SOS. That's what they are. UT is a 6-6 team in the SEC with a banged up WR corp and a questionable O-line.

Personally, I think if both teams played their best game in this bowl game, UT would win 6 out of 10 times. For the record, that's giving the Hawkeyes a 40% chance in hell. :)

Hope you enjoy your remaining time with us. Hoping for an injury-free game for both teams. Thanks for hanging out with us.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but... Herbstreit's comments neither added to, nor took away from, Iowa's 'A-game'. It was more than likely just a huge swing and miss, as happens every year with unknown teams that are yet to prove what they actually are.

Iowa is a 7-5 team with a mid-50 SOS. That's what they are. UT is a 6-6 team in the SEC with a banged up WR corp and a questionable O-line.

Personally, I think if both teams played their best game in this bowl game, UT would win 6 out of 10 times. For the record, that's giving the Hawkeyes a 40% chance in hell. :)

Hope you enjoy your remaining time with us. Hoping for an injury-free game for both teams. Thanks for hanging out with us.

Just trying to quantify what the expectations were for the Hawks this year.

Thanks for the good discussion. Your criticism is well placed, both of me and of Iowa. Just had some high hopes this year that were crushed early on.

I've seen flashes of what everyone was hoping for and I'm an eternal optimist so I can't stop believing they might actually put it all together for a whole game.

The truth of the season has fallen far short of that, which is why I have the Vols wiinning 24-19.

Just trying to quantify what the expectations were for the Hawks this year.

Thanks for the good discussion. Your criticism is well placed, both of me and of Iowa. Just had some high hopes this year that were crushed early on.

I've seen flashes of what everyone was hoping for and I'm an eternal optimist so I can't stop believing they might actually put it all together for a whole game.

The truth of the season has fallen far short of that, which is why I have the Vols wiinning 24-19.

Welcome to my world as a Vol fan. lol

Thanks for the dialog.

Welcome to my world as a Vol fan. lol

Thanks for the dialog.

Ain't college football great?

We do finally have a non-fullback ball carrier getting healthy for the bowl game in Jordan Canzeri that gives us a cutback dimension that we haven't had and is so crucial to running the zone stretch plays.

Also back will be LaShun Daniels who is a big boy...

Attachments

• 08302014_iafootballvsunileshun-daniels-jr013.jpg
    08302014_iafootballvsunileshun-daniels-jr013.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 0

Which 2 exactly would you say are your Top 2 Full 'A Game' games of this year (the "four halves")?

Which 2 exactly would you say are your Top 2 Full 'A Game' games of this year (the "four halves")?

First halves vs Northwestern, Indiana, Nebraska (didn't take enough advantage of four turnovers) and second half vs Wisconsin.

Regarding Iowa traveling well as a fan base.

This will be the weakest attended bowl game of the Ferentz era if i had to guess.

Not only from the number of fans in attendance but also the fan energy enthusiasm.

There is as much frustration with the program as i have ever seen.

Unfortunately there is a decent enough sized portion of the fan base that would prefer a loss next week so the pressure is ramped up on Ferentz.

Its too bad too. Iowa is going to see a good chunk of empty seats next year and its going to get ugly for a while if Ferentz doesnt make some changes. Staff and game day mgmt.

So, in closing, UT will dwarf Iowa in attendance next week. Generally iowa has an outstanding presence at bowls, which is a reason Iowa has probably been invited to play in games above where they probably deserved.

This yr it will be underwhelming

Regarding Iowa traveling well as a fan base.

This will be the weakest attended bowl game of the Ferentz era if i had to guess.

Not only from the number of fans in attendance but also the fan energy enthusiasm.

There is as much frustration with the program as i have ever seen.

Unfortunately there is a decent enough sized portion of the fan base that would prefer a loss next week so the pressure is ramped up on Ferentz.

Its too bad too. Iowa is going to see a good chunk of empty seats next year and its going to get ugly for a while if Ferentz doesnt make some changes. Staff and game day mgmt.

So, in closing, UT will dwarf Iowa in attendance next week. Generally iowa has an outstanding presence at bowls, which is a reason Iowa has probably been invited to play in games above where they probably deserved.

This yr it will be underwhelming

But don't think for a second that the team won't be ready to go. No letdown excuses for this one. Iowa comes to play in bowl games (historically). I don't think this one will be any different.

Dobbs is prone to throw the pick-I see no improvement in this cat, the Iowa D is Big and been playing a while. If they get to Dobbs early in the game, just rushed plays, not even sacs, I believe he's going to throw a bone head pick. If this happens early, Iowa wins +3. IF, we can keep their D off of Dobbs for the 1st quarter, Tenn wins +6:)

Last edited:
The biggest problem with Dobbs' throwing is who is remaining that can catch. 3 of our top 5 receivers are on the shelf with injuries and our #2 TE left the team.

If I'm IA's DC I put a spy (probably the MLB) on Dobb's all day.

Were those actually 3 of our top 5 or do we have another top 2 or 3 who just haven't had an opportunity yet. Remember Herschel Walker was 3rd string. This is the SEC not the big 10

Brewhawk....you must have watched the Vandy game, Dobbs took a step back that game, Vandy crowded the line and put a lot of pressure up front, they crowded the front and blitzed more than usual. Joshua did not have a good game and did not pick up the blitz package very well. If Vanderbilt hadn't been just awful offensively and had any quarterback play at all, we might not be playing January 2, 2015......Go Vols and the Girls of Iowa thread on this site make me want to travel that way for a visit

Brewhawk....you must have watched the Vandy game, Dobbs took a step back that game, Vandy crowded the line and put a lot of pressure up front, they crowded the front and blitzed more than usual. Joshua did not have a good game and did not pick up the blitz package very well. If Vanderbilt hadn't been just awful offensively and had any quarterback play at all, we might not be playing January 2, 2015......Go Vols and the Girls of Iowa thread on this site make me want to travel that way for a visit

If I think he's such a key, why would I base my opinion on a bad game?

I've watched your games vs. South Carolina, Kentucky, Missouri and Vandy.

Due to the fact we struggle with mobile QBs and Dobbs hasn't lit the world on fire yet as a passer, it will be interesting to see how everything works out on Friday.

We typically don't stray from a 4-3, cover six zone much at all, so I doubt there will be any crowding of the box or spying. We just try to get after it with solid fundamentals and physical play. The defense has typically known their assignments well. That hasn't always been the case this year.

If I think he's such a key, why would I base my opinion on a bad game?

I've watched your games vs. South Carolina, Kentucky, Missouri and Vandy.

Due to the fact we struggle with mobile QBs and Dobbs hasn't lit the world on fire yet as a passer, it will be interesting to see how everything works out on Friday.

We typically don't stray from a 4-3, cover six zone much at all, so I doubt there will be any crowding of the box or spying. We just try to get after it with solid fundamentals and physical play. The defense has typically known their assignments well. That hasn't always been the case this year.

There are play by play videos for just about every game this season on this page. Whole games condensed to about 10-12 mins. Each game has two videos, an offensive video and a defensive one. A few games are missing the defense videos.

http://m.youtube.com/user/FreakVolNation

VN Store

Back