I've come to believe there is one way that Iowa can win this game

You think so? I see this one being a really low scoring affair (more to the credit of your defense than anything).
Of course, that probably means it will be a shootout.
LOL! That's the way my luck runs also.

...I just think Dobbs is a bigger key to your success than anyone else on your team.
I think Hurd could have a really good game and if we control Dobbs, we could still win the game. If we don't limit Dobbs, but shut down Hurd I don't think we have a chance.
Maybe that's the confusion. I think the only chance we have to win the game is to limit Dobbs (barring turnover-fest 2014). If we don't, it doesn't really matter what else happens.
This thought may be a bit off IMO. If your D keys on shutting down Dobbs and can't also do the same to Hurd, it could possibly be just as devastating. I think you will have to limit both.

Reactions: 1 person
Limit Dobbs.

I think it becomes that simple (but not easy to do).

If Iowa can keep him from being effective, the Hawks win the game. It's that simple and I think that much of Dobbs ability.

No offense to Hurd, who is one promising RB in his own right, but Iowa didn't really shut down Melvin Gordon completely and still had a great shot to win vs. Wisconsin.

Obviously, our offense will need to score a few points (17 oughta do it), but if we don't control Dobbs, the game is over and the Vols win.

I really think it's that simple (barring a rash of turnovers or other natural disasters).

I just don't know why we even show up. Brew has just given away the secret formula. :)
Merry Christmas to you and family. :yes:

GO VOLS!

Problem is that we can't set the edge the way we have in the past, both due to subpar DE play and physically underdeveloped/inexperienced LBs.

I just don't see us containing Dobbs. If we can, we have a great chance to win. Our DL is going to have to be great in this one (and maybe they can if the Vols OL is as bad as they say). They've just been serviceable all year (mostly due to poor DE play).

Looks like you think much more of Dobbs than most UT fans on here. If you read through some of the other threads you'll see that Dobbs is evidently the worst qb in our school's history and it doesn't really matter how you guys play Dobbs because he can't hit the broadside of a barn.

Btw, I agree with you.

And, TN didn't really shut down Todd Gurley completely and still had a great shot to win vs. Georgia.

But what do you mean, "limit Dobbs" -- passing wise, or run-wise, or both?

How many (a) passing yrds and (b) running yrds do you predict Dobbs will have (if not limited) VS how many will he reach (if limited), for the Hawks to win?

Run-wise. I think if we can't limit him on the ground that it would greatly open up the passing game for you because our DBs will need to be much more conscious in run support.

I can see our DL and LBs being able to control Hurd if Dobbs is controlled as well. Even if Hurd isn't totally shut down, I don't think Dobbs is a good enough drop-back passer (yet) to beat us with his arm alone, especially with the losses you've had at WR.

Yardage predictions are tough and not necessarily relevant. I'm more worried about the defense getting off the field on third downs and then being able to contain him in the red zone. The DL needs to produce controlled pressure and not allow Dobbs freedom to run in the open field after the LBs have made their pass drops and DBs are far downfield covering the WRs.

The other thing Iowa DBs have struggled with is the bomb downfield where the receiver is able to adjust to the ball and the DB gets turned around and looses coverage.

Brilliant!!! I think limiting any teams QB (specially a dual threat) is a key to a win! Keep bringing it OP!

Do you and Volador share the same material on every post?

Please come up with something a bit more insightful before being a jerk.

BrewHawk: though I do hope we beat the crap out of you guys, thanks for being a decent visitor. Our apologies for the limited few who keep trying to portray us as a fan-base full of asses.

GBO

Reactions: 5 people
the key to this game for both teams will be first down gains for Tennessee. If it ends up 2nd and 3rd and long or even medium, that greatly benefits Iowa's D.

Sure, you can say that in many games but with the worries of containing a QB capable of hurting you with h is feet and combined with questionable accuracy, it is magnified

SRS vs Freshmen = advantage Srs. Iowa has Srs. Tennessee ha Fr. ... Tenn OLine vs any other teams front 7 = advantage any other team! Iowa can win this game.

Any given Sunday, or Friday in this case.

I understand your point with Freshmen, but with the likes old Barnett and Hurd and TKJ, I would say we don't have your avg. Freshmen.

@ChadLeistikow: Obviously early, but forecast for TaxSlayer Bowl in Jacksonville on Jan. 2 calls for a 60% chance of showers, high temp 64 degrees.

Who does this benefit?

Duh----limit the opposing teams QB and you will win.....thats the team engine

I'm not worried about Iowa---they don't match up with the Vols' size and speed---UT wins this game easily! UT 33 iowa 16

I would hope to see a good percentage of third down conversions. While reading SI article on bowl playoff teams, read that Bama averages 78 plays a game. UT is 79 (from teamrankings site) but third down conversion is only 38%. I'm not the x and o whiz but we get the ball/get the ball back but can't do much with it. I know, I know, the O line was bad.....

so, hoping we are moving the ball downfield for points other than field goals.

I'm not worried about Iowa---they don't match up with the Vols' size and speed---UT wins this game easily! UT 33 iowa 16

Any team above middle school classification more than matches up with our OL, which makes this and virtually any other game we play far from a given. Got a feeling this one winds up both competiive and close. All the Dobbs hating UT fans, which is evidently an overwhelming majority of the guys on here, better hope he can work his magic escaping their rush and making plays outside the pocket.

I really don't see us scoring more than 21 (in a straight-up game with no turnover disparity), so I hope we can hold you guys to less than 17.

I definitely don't think we win a shootout if we don't slow you down.

In another thread I have my official prediction with the Vols winning 24-19.

I for one.. hope you are Correct!! I hate for my buddies to be wrong!:dance2::pepper:

31-20 Tennessee Malone, Wharton, Hurd, wolf, Dobbs, Pig, Pearson, Ellis, Barnett, Maybin, Maggit, Sutton, to big to fast for Iowa at the end of the day.

Or maybe we get tossed around like the 18 year olds they are...by the giant kids on Iowa.

MY vote is,first though best thought

We Iowa fans have already predicted that this game will be a microcosm of the entire season. However, it may not. Iowa my stink the place up. On the other hand they may come out and just look awesome. They had no business losing 3 of those games this year. Heard the practices have been very intense going into the bowl. They might just impress everyone.

Limit Dobbs.

If Iowa can keep him from being effective, the Hawks win the game. It's that simple and I think that much of Dobbs ability.

No offense to Hurd, who is one promising RB in his own right, but Iowa didn't really shut down Melvin Gordon completely and still had a great shot to win vs. Wisconsin.

Obviously, our offense will need to score a few points (17 oughta do it), but if we don't control Dobbs, the game is over and the Vols win.

I really think it's that simple (barring a rash of turnovers or other natural disasters).

You're ignorant of football in general if you think Iowa wins with 17 points. Do you have a television even? I'm not going to play nice either. That's just stupid to say. This isn't the big 10.

Merry Christmas.

Limit Dobbs.

Thing that concerns me is Dobbs play the last 2 games. And Iowa is much better than Vandy defensively and the whole offense from Dobbs down struggled terribly and did against Mizzou as well.Iowa, atleast statistically is better than Mizzou and Vandy on Defense.If Dobbs and the Oline plays like his first three games we win by 14+, but if him and the Oline play like they did the last two games we lose unless we get points from the Defense and/or Special teams and if Iowa has turnover issues too. We won't win if Dobbs continues to turn the ball over, we aren't good enough yet to overcome losing the turnover battle. Hope Dobbs throws for 250-300 yards, a few TD's and no int's and get 150+ on the ground from Hurd, Lane and Dobbs. If so we will be some happy Vol Fans Friday Night.

With Hurd and Lane back healthy, the Iowa defense can't focus solely on Dobbs. Vandy's defense got lucky when Hurd went down early. It allowed them to ignore the running game and focus solely on controlling Dobbs. The offense will be much better balanced against Iowa. A close game with the Vols winning by 10.

Actually Vandy didn't ignore the run game at all. They had the box stacked all day and was going to make Dobbs beat them with his arm and plays over 10 yards, which he couldn't do. If Dobbs had hit some passes outside of all those swing passes that would have opened up running Lanes and make them respect Dobbs passing. But with us throwing so many swing passes and not hitting more than a few passes over 10-15 yards they played close so we had no shot at running effectively no matter who would have been at RB. Then also the swing passes were repeatedly stopped for losses, no gains or very short ones.

The biggest problem with Dobbs' throwing is who is remaining that can catch. 3 of our top 5 receivers are on the shelf with injuries and our #2 TE left the team.

If I'm IA's DC I put a spy (probably the MLB) on Dobb's all day.

We have plenty of receivers who can catch the ball and make plays. We have our leading WR in Howard, our most dangerous receiver with the ball in his hands in Pearson, J.Johnson has played well when healthy, Malone has looked good and bad at times, our top 2 TE's at the end of the yr were Wolf and Ellis so we have both of them, Wharton and Jenkins have gotten a lot of praise for their development then two great pass catching RB's in Hurd and Lane. This is why Azzani likes rotating so many receivers and having a lot of them. Yea sure we would be better off with Smith, North and Croom but since Dobbs took over Croom is the only one of the three he really had when he was playing well. North had a few against Ala but none against SC or Kentucky. Howard, Pearson, Wolf, Ellis and Hurd have been the guys Dobbs used mostly when he was playing well and had all but Hurd against UK, had them all against Mizzou and will have them all vs Iowa. So missing receivers can't be used as an excuse.

You're ignorant of football in general if you think Iowa wins with 17 points. Do you have a television even? I'm not going to play nice either. That's just stupid to say. This isn't the big 10.

Merry Christmas.

14-13, Bama over Arkansas. I watched that one.

Not like there had been a bunch of offense in the SEC either.

14-13, Bama over Arkansas. I watched that one.

Not like there had been a bunch of offense in the SEC either.

That is true. I was looking at Total Offensive and Total defensive rankings and the SEC and Big10 are very similar in both..

Total Offense the Big10 has one top ten, three top 25 and four top 50 offenses..The SEC has one top ten, three top 25 then we have 7 top 50

Total Defense the Big 10 has 4 top ten, six top 25 and 8 top 50..The SEC has 2 top ten, 7 top 25 and 8 top 50. So just based off top 50 SEC has the better offenses and equal defenses. But the Big 10 does have more top ten defenses but is it because they play better defense up there or does the SEC having almost double top 50 offenses does it skew the stats some. I know little about the Big 10 but have watched a lot of SEC games this yr. Overall the SEC defenses have struggled at times with the better offenses. Ala for example is nowhere close to what Saban normally has. They don't pass rush well so their secondary has struggled all yr and give up a lot of yards and points for a Saban defense and Secondary. SCarol, UK, Vandy and TX A'M are aweful on Defense. LSU is young and struggled at times, Auburn is pretty bad on D as well. As a whole OleMiss probably had the best SEC defense. They didn't have many games where they looked bad. Flor gave up points to the better offenses they played like Ala,FSU and somehow even a one dimensional offense in LSU ran all over them. Good thing is there is plenty of SEC VS Big10 games to let it get settled on the field..well four of them I can think of. But I know one I want the Big 10 to win over the SEC and that's tosu against Saban. Doubt it happens but it's the only time I have pulled for Urban in my life..all when he has faced Saban.

I remember quite a few SEC teams fans saying the same thing in the past only to walk away with a L.

The speed myth hasnt materialized too many times.

UT may win but no one can look at these 2 teams and say there is a big advantage in many areas

Any team above middle school classification more than matches up with our OL, which makes this and virtually any other game we play far from a given. Got a feeling this one winds up both competiive and close. All the Dobbs hating UT fans, which is evidently an overwhelming majority of the guys on here, better hope he can work his magic escaping their rush and making plays outside the pocket.

I agree. I really hope people don't think this game will be a gimme. I would honestly go as far as saying this game is a toss up.

Tennessee hasn't shown the consistency for this game to be considered a blow out. But, I will say that IF we are on our A game, they won't be able to hang

Go Vols!

VN Store

Back