I've come to believe there is one way that Iowa can win this game

The biggest problem with Dobbs' throwing is who is remaining that can catch. 3 of our top 5 receivers are on the shelf with injuries and our #2 TE left the team.

If I'm IA's DC I put a spy (probably the MLB) on Dobb's all day.

Our MLB is slooooooow.

I'd like to see Lomax spy him, but then that takes our FS out of the equation. You'll see a base defense from Iowa with occasional LB and even less occasional CB blitzes.

I agree with the OP. Sadly, our offense late in the year was pretty bad; Dobbs was pretty much our only weapon as there wasn't much running room for Hurd and our passing game, never great, went in the toilet. So, yes, if Iowa controls Dobbs, we probably won't score much and we probably lose. But it's also true that controlling an athletic QB isn't easily done. For 2+ years, almost every time florida faced a third and 3 or less, or maybe even 5 or less, they ran Tebow. Everybody knew Tebow was running and nobody could stop him from getting the first. Dobbs is not exactly like Tebow but the analogy is valid. Given the state of our offensive line, I cannot see us scoring a lot of points unless Iowa's defense is really weak.

Dobbs does have a lot more wiggle (and top end speed) than Tebow did. Tebow was just so damn strong.

The only sure fire way Iowa wins this game is if they have more points when its over.

Reactions: 2 people
Limit Dobbs.

I think it becomes that simple (but not easy to do).

If Iowa can keep him from being effective, the Hawks win the game. It's that simple and I think that much of Dobbs ability.

No offense to Hurd, who is one promising RB in his own right, but Iowa didn't really shut down Melvin Gordon completely and still had a great shot to win vs. Wisconsin.

Obviously, our offense will need to score a few points (17 oughta do it), but if we don't control Dobbs, the game is over and the Vols win.

I really think it's that simple (barring a rash of turnovers or other natural disasters).

Yes, please score 17 points. That would be great.

There are definitely some ways for Iowa to win the game.

1. Massive case of flew and diarrhea hits the 1st and 2nd stringers 10 mins before the game.

2. Buses carrying the team to the game simultaneously roll over on the way to the game.

3. Armageddon happens and one Iowa player survives to accept the forfeit.

Just a few examples. Feel free to add if compelled.

Weren't we a bit cocky for the UF game as well?

This year we have figured out that we can not take anything for granted with such a young team. I pray it is that easy of a win, but the way the year has played out, I see it being fairly close.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
The biggest problem with Dobbs' throwing is who is remaining that can catch. 3 of our top 5 receivers are on the shelf with injuries and our #2 TE left the team.

If I'm IA's DC I put a spy (probably the MLB) on Dobb's all day.

I think that is a good idea and I even think Iowa has tried that vs a few teams. The issue is a lack of athleticism and discipline at times with a few of the LB's.

The saving grace for Iowa could be the preparation time that they have. Generally, they do an excellent job of having the team ready to play when they have a bye week or for a bowl.

I thought we would truck Candy but that turned into a game so everyone needs to slow their roll. I expect to win but we got no room to be cocky.

And plenty thought we'd be in for a real fight vs UK

There are definitely some ways for Iowa to win the game.

1. Massive case of flew and diarrhea hits the 1st and 2nd stringers 10 mins before the game.

2. Buses carrying the team to the game simultaneously roll over on the way to the game.

3. Armageddon happens and one Iowa player survives to accept the forfeit.

Just a few examples. Feel free to add if compelled.

*floo

--I love auto-correcting smartphones and laptops. It adds excitement to posting. :crazy:

After Kentucky rattled off 5 straight wins and the way we were playing I was worried about that game and figured we would beat the cap out of vandy. I was way off. I can't wait to be in Jacksonville at the game. I hope it's an easy win for us, but like every Saturday in the regular season you never know who will win until there are all zeros on the clock. GBO

Weren't we a bit cocky for the UF game as well?

This year we have figured out that we can not take anything for granted with such a young team. I pray it is that easy of a win, but the way the year has played out, I see it being fairly close.

If my smack talking before a game is the sole reason for our W/L record then I sincerely apologize.

Bullsh**! I'm not apologizing for anything. It's football for crying out loud!

If you have to watch what you say before a game for fear that you may be wrong when it's over.....quite frankly.......you're not doing being a fan right.

Semper Fi Devil Dawg. Retired 13 years now.

If my smack talking before a game is the sole reason for our W/L record then I sincerely apologize.

Bullsh**! I'm not apologizing for anything. It's football for crying out loud!

If you have to watch what you say before a game for fear that you may be wrong when it's over.....quite frankly.......you're not doing being a fan right.

Semper Fi Devil Dawg. Retired 13 years now.

Apologize? I didn't ask for one.

I was merely stating that we should temper our expectations a bit. As I said, Florida was supposed to be a chump game but it turned out quite different from what the vast majority of posters thought it would.

We should always hope for a victory, but temper expectations till something is proven on the field. Don't get me wrong, I am happy with this team being 6-6, but know that a victory is not a sure thing.

Semper Fi, Thank you for your service.

I really don't see us scoring more than 21 (in a straight-up game with no turnover disparity), so I hope we can hold you guys to less than 17.

I definitely don't think we win a shootout if we don't slow you down.

In another thread I have my official prediction with the Vols winning 24-19.

The sarcasm is not strong with this one!

If the conversation is base on the Vandy game, I think it would be wrong. The players was dropping like flys in cold weather with injuries, we won that game on the seat of our pants with a little D...and a punt return.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UT-Rex View Post
Are you predicting 2 missed extra point attempts?

One TD and four FGs.

While I like this show of confidence in our D, I don't see four FGs -- you went 0-0 at Minn and 0-1 at Illinois, but it's possible of course. Looking forward to this game.

UT's OL vs Iowa's front 7. IMO, the game will be decided there. UT doesn't need a dominating performance... they just can't collapse like they did in various games this year.

I think its the opposite. As key as the OL is I think it depends on if Barnett and Maggit can take on a very talented OL I think its game over. If not I think we're too depleted on O to score enough points to keep ahead. Dobbs still isn't quite there yet.

Control Brady, Manning, Brees, Rodgers or any good QB and you increase your chances to win.

Did you come up with this theory about Dobbs on your own??

Go Vols

Way to be a jerk to a guest here. Do you treat people visiting your home this rudely?

Brew has been awesome with his insight on the Hawkeyes and is a credit to their fan base. Show some respect.

Reactions: 12 people
SRS vs Freshmen = advantage Srs. Iowa has Srs. Tennessee ha Fr. ... Tenn OLine vs any other teams front 7 = advantage any other team! Iowa can win this game.

Limit Dobbs.

If Iowa can keep him from being effective, the Hawks win the game. It's that simple and I think that much of Dobbs ability.

No offense to Hurd, who is one promising RB in his own right, but Iowa didn't really shut down Melvin Gordon completely and still had a great shot to win vs. Wisconsin.

Obviously, our offense will need to score a few points (17 oughta do it), but if we don't control Dobbs, the game is over and the Vols win.

I really think it's that simple (barring a rash of turnovers or other natural disasters).

Brilliant!!! I think limiting any teams QB (specially a dual threat) is a key to a win! Keep bringing it OP!

Brilliant!!! I think limiting any teams QB (specially a dual threat) is a key to a win! Keep bringing it OP!

You can limit Jake Rudock all you want (we do that pretty well on our own) and you very well might not beat us.

I just think Dobbs is a bigger key to your success than anyone else on your team.

I think Hurd could have a really good game and if we control Dobbs, we could still win the game. If we don't limit Dobbs, but shut down Hurd I don't think we have a chance.

Maybe that's the confusion. I think the only chance we have to win the game is to limit Dobbs (barring turnover-fest 2014). If we don't, it doesn't really matter what else happens.

Limit Dobbs.

And, TN didn't really shut down Todd Gurley completely and still had a great shot to win vs. Georgia.

But what do you mean, "limit Dobbs" -- passing wise, or run-wise, or both?

How many (a) passing yrds and (b) running yrds do you predict Dobbs will have (if not limited) VS how many will he reach (if limited), for the Hawks to win?

VN Store

Back