I've been to Berkeley

Cal is not even mentioned in the same sentence with.
Like I said USC , UCLA, Stanford are California. Just ask anyone that lives there trying to enroll.

Montgomery and Pete Newell are the only California coaches that I can think of off the top of my head.

One thing is pretty clear, unless Cal is paying him about $3 mill/year, he is taking an effective pay cut over what he could have been paid if he stayed, given the cost of living increase that's going to hit him. And I'm not even sure that takes into account the state income tax increase he's going to get, going from 0% in TN to a top marginal rate of 13.3% in CA.

The weather there sure is nice, though.

I wouldn't want to live there and especially wouldn't want to raise a family there. It looks nice on the outside...for awhile. In reality it's just a small step up from Oakland and at night Oakland and Berkeley are about the same.

I was just there in November and you're full of crap.

Reactions: 2 people
lol I didn't say it was terrible. I've been there, too, and Cal is a beautiful campus. I was just pointing out that Knoxville does have a higher crime rate (per that one source) than Berkeley, in response to the other guy. :peace2:

It amazes me how people spin what's said by others on here

Must be political science majors and think they are real spin doctors

Must be political science majors and think they are real spin doctors

spin-docs-bill-burr-special1.jpg

Reactions: 2 people
I wouldn't want to live there and especially wouldn't want to raise a family there. It looks nice on the outside...for awhile. In reality it's just a small step up from Oakland and at night Oakland and Berkeley are about the same.

What are you talking about?...It IS beautiful there!...Nice weather year round and sunshine...No snow or brutal cold winters and the night life is amazing...You sir have no clue what you are talking about.

Reactions: 1 person
Berkeley is the commie capital of the US. At one time 3 of 5 of their elected city leaders were members of the communist party. Jane Fonda's ex, Tom Hayden, was one of them I believe. Cal couldn't care less about athletics. They're too busy still being 60s hippies & hugging trees & owls. Any interest in the area's sports are pro, not college. I went there to the UT-Cal FB game in 07. Beautiful campus, but weather is usually cold & cloudy, like SF, but you can go to San Mateo Co across the GG Bridge & go about 10 miles & it'll be 30 degrees warmer & sunny. Cost of living is probably double Knoxville, except housing, which would be about quadruple! Best of luck, Cuonzo!

Reactions: 3 people
This is awesome. Not just refusing to use 3 seconds of google searching to test your biases, but rejecting informed opinions.

Knoxville is #100 on the list of 100. I'd hardly call it an unsafe city. The crime rate is skewed due to college kids that don't technically "live" there (haven't changed their ID's from their parents house) and report incidents to the police.

Example: if they claim the metro pop of Knoxville is a million, but really it's 1.2 million due to residents that haven't changed their ID's over from their previous state, then whatever % of the extra 200,000 that doesn't technically "live" there and reports an incident to the police only goes against 1 million, rather than the actual 1,200,000. So it spikes the crime rate. Same happens in tourist towns when there's an influx of people in the Spring and Summer that file incident reports, but don't actually live there. There are only like 35,000 people in the City of Myrtle Beach, but in Summer that goes up to 500,000 at a time. If 10,000 of those people file an incident report, you can see how that would spike the crime rate #'s.

Lol I doubt that you have really ever set foot in Berkeley if you think it is even comparable to Oakland or even Knoxville

This.

As I said, I was in the area back in November. I was in Berkeley most of the day and at night, and I was in Oakland at night. It's not even close to a comparison.

Oakland at night, even around the Coliseum was very unpleasant and I felt uneasy. I never felt uneasy in Berkeley. Sure there are some weird, probably homeless people roaming around Berkeley but for the most part they were still nice. One even helped me find a place and I didn't have any money to give him and gave him a protein bar I had and he was very grateful.

This.

As I said, I was in the area back in November. I was in Berkeley most of the day and at night, and I was in Oakland at night. It's not even close to a comparison.

Oakland at night, even around the Coliseum was very unpleasant and I felt uneasy. I never felt uneasy in Berkeley. Sure there are some weird, probably homeless people roaming around Berkeley but for the most part they were still nice. One even helped me find a place and I didn't have any money to give him and gave him a protein bar I had and he was very grateful.

I've got just the thing(s) to make you feel at ease wherever you go...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: 4 people
Knoxville is #100 on the list of 100. I'd hardly call it an unsafe city. The crime rate is skewed due to college kids that don't technically "live" there (haven't changed their ID's from their parents house) and report incidents to the police.

Example: if they claim the metro pop of Knoxville is a million, but really it's 1.2 million due to residents that haven't changed their ID's over from their previous state, then whatever % of the extra 200,000 that doesn't technically "live" there and reports an incident to the police only goes against 1 million, rather than the actual 1,200,000. So it spikes the crime rate. Same happens in tourist towns when there's an influx of people in the Spring and Summer that file incident reports, but don't actually live there. There are only like 35,000 people in the City of Myrtle Beach, but in Summer that goes up to 500,000 at a time. If 10,000 of those people file an incident report, you can see how that would spike the crime rate #'s.

You can rationalize and try to back off of your original statement, but you're still wrong.

They don't just randomly throw these things out there. There's data and statistics.

Knoxville, TN is not safer than Berkeley, CA. It's just not.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
You can rationalize and try to back off of your original statement, but you're still wrong.

They don't just randomly throw these things out there. There's data and statistics.

Knoxville, TN is not safer than Berkeley, CA. It's just not.

Show me where I said that Knoxville is safer than Berkeley.

I'll wait.

Show me where I said that Knoxville is safer than Berkeley.

I'll wait.

Never stated you did.

One poster said Knoxville has a high crime rate.

You responded with "No it doesn't".

Knoxville has a very high crime rate. Off all the cities in the great US of A, Knoxville is only safer than 2% of them.

VN Store

Back